DeSales 40 Cooper 7

bugatti

A big step up in competition quality gives Cooper a look at where their shortcomings are. Can the Jaguars adjust and grow?

What to do on offense and how to use Lee? That is really what it comes down to for Cooper. A look back at last year tells me the Cooper offense was scoring about the same last year with Lee at QB. I don't know if moving Lee back to QB is the answer. Milton Wright at CAL was even better and more dynamic than Lee and he played WR at CAL. The difference there is CAL had a lot more talent and options around Wright. It really depends on the other offensive weapons Cooper has. Is there another WR who is a playmaker that will hurt the defense if they double Lee? The young RB is solid enough to be a threat that will keep defenses honest. If you have other good WR options and your QB is good enough, I can see the value at Lee at WR and getting him the ball in space. If you have teams with average DB's, Lee can hurt you more at WR. It depends on the surrounding cast. My guess is Cooper's coaches think they have a young QB who is going to develop, another WR besides Lee who is a threat and that by playoff time they will be much more difficult to defend with Lee at WR. You can use jet sweeps, bubble screens and other plays to get Lee more touches.

Agree with you Spartanbasketball.....DeSales defensive line was in their QB grasp way too often and then they slowed the run game way down. As for the Colts, another slow start but they made changes lot sooner then last week. Penalties aslo cost them 2 TDS, need to get that taken care o Pronto !

Cooper has a handful of other players who can make big plays but they just aren’t given the chance to do so. They try to MAKE it happen with one or two and are too predictable. Plus Cooper just can’t compete with teams that are that big with all of our boys going both ways. They are worn down by the third quarter.

Cooper has a handful of other players who can make big plays but they just aren’t given the chance to do so. They try to MAKE it happen with one or two and are too predictable. Plus Cooper just can’t compete with teams that are that big with all of our boys going both ways. They are worn down by the third quarter.

Cooper has been that way for years, they generally only play 14-15 kids consistently and it wears them down.

I’m not saying burn the playbook. The first four games of coopers schedule were not the best opponents. The defense could make up for offensive production. They have Cov Cath, GRC, then Conner next. They won’t win if the offense is not sped up. I actually like the way Desales offensive is set up. Only because they use every weapon on the field and sideline to create points. #21 should be used more. #81, a freshman has better hands than most the varsity receivers. #7 has a corner and safety on him every play and it’s still not getting other people open as one might assume.

It is simple when a team loses people always will find things to complain about. Over at Highlands you have had people complaining the last few years because they won't play guys both ways. At the end of the day it is easy to complain after losses. Now people here complain because to many play both ways?

Plus comments like this kind of contradicts itself don't it? For example 21 seems to be having a very good year on defense and one of the reasons why Coopers defense is playing so well. If he was used more on offense, then may not get the same production on defense from him because may be more worn down correct? Yet some people want to complain that more aren't being used more on a side of the ball, but at the same time complain that to many play both ways? Something seems off there.

At the end of the day Cooper is 3 and 2 and still on track to have more wins this year than last year. Cooper traditionally has always been a team that is usually playing it's best at the end of the season. So chances are that will be the case again this year. A lot of the plays that may be going for no gain right now, by the end of the season will be going for big gains because a guy made the right block, QB made the right read, wr made the catch, etc.

To the point on players going both ways, Covington Catholic has played many of their top players both ways over the last 3 years. They usually don't play linemen both ways. They don't play their QB on defense. The other skill players (RB, WR, End) play both ways. The point being one of the best teams in the state is playing guys both ways and it isn't a problem. Actually, it is a benefit because their best players are on the field. It depends on who is playing both ways and if you are smart about working in breaks for any linemen that are playing on both sides of the ball.

Cooper's offense is hard to watch. The play calling was horrible.

Some refuse to change into the new age of offensive play calling. This district will not just let Cooper in the playoffs. You have to win to get in (Conner). Hopefully something changes.

I believe if a player can play both sides he should . Not an issue with the kids. I just feel like the calling is Jason Garret level predictable. I predict 1 more win maybe 2, but I believe they can win more with some variety.

In reference to the new age of play calling. I assume you are talking about how most teams run a lot more of the spread offense and such. My point as I said earlier it really doesn't matter what offense you run if players don't execute what you are asked to do.

Go take a look at Highlands and Ryle threads. Both teams are in the as you say new age of playing calling and using a spread offense. Yet you see people complaining about that, about it being predictable. How Highlands being in the spread with only one back isn't a good scheme, etc. How they would like to see more two back things, which is what Cooper does some of and people complain about that at Cooper.

Just goes to show that unless you are scoring 60 points a game, it is easy for people to complain. Especially people who are sitting in the stands with no idea exactly what all 11 guys job on the field was for that given play. I would be willing to bet at Cooper, Ryle, Highlands, etc. When they watch film they see how the play they called would have been there if this guy made his block, or if the qb made the right read, or the Wr simply caught the ball. The people coaching these teams probably know their teams and players better than the parents who sit in the stands and only see them on Friday nights.

I guess “futurecoach” is the OC for Cooper.�� Just messin’ with ya’ man. Good luck.

I have been on both sides. I have coached before and I have been that person in the stands. The older I have got the more I realized how the complaining does no good and is usually even more harmful in today's world with social media and internet.

That is why I usually say something when I see the same thing being said about the offenses Highlands, Ryle, Campbell too. It's the reason why more and more people stop coaching these days. People in the stands are not the ones spending hours every day after working their full time jobs to coach, watch film, scout, etc. Yet the people in the stands everywhere feel like they have all the answers and with social media and internet today. It gives them easy access to say what they want.

The worst part of it all at all these places where people are complaining. They act like what they are complaining about will help things out. When it most likely has the complete opposite effect. When you have parents complaining about how bad play calling or coaches are. Do you think their kids will buy in as much to what the coach is teaching? Do you think the kids will work that much harder for that coach their parent says is horrible? So when parents complain to the kids and then on media sites where their kids will read. Do you think that would help the team have more success by that complaining? Most likely it has the complete opposite effect and creates a division between coach and players. Which quite honestly is unfair to the player because it is like being a kid stuck between two parents who are divorced and one parent always putting down the other. It puts them in a no win situation. A coach trying to get them to buy in, why their parent at home is telling them how bad a coach is and how a coach should be doing this or playing you here. As much as people in the stands may disagree with a play call or think how a certain offense is holding a team back. People in the stands and their complaining also can have just as much if not more of a negative effect on a program because of the divide it can cause. Teams with the most success have 100 percent buy in. That's impossible to have when kids are having to hear from their parents and on the internet how bad coaches or play calls are. It never will help anything.

So at the end of the day if all people want the same thing. To see the kids and team have success. Then the complaining in the stands and in all these threads for these schools that their kids read is not going to help make things better. I don't think the people who complain constantly about coaches everywhere seem to get that it hurts the team more than it ever would help. I didn't realize that when I was younger and I was someone who said some stupid things about coaching too. However, I realized that only does more harm than good.

I have been on both sides. I have coached before and I have been that person in the stands. The older I have got the more I realized how the complaining does no good and is usually even more harmful in today's world with social media and internet.

That is why I usually say something when I see the same thing being said about the offenses Highlands, Ryle, Campbell too. It's the reason why more and more people stop coaching these days. People in the stands are not the ones spending hours every day after working their full time jobs to coach, watch film, scout, etc. Yet the people in the stands everywhere feel like they have all the answers and with social media and internet today. It gives them easy access to say what they want.

The worst part of it all at all these places where people are complaining. They act like what they are complaining about will help things out. When it most likely has the complete opposite effect. When you have parents complaining about how bad play calling or coaches are. Do you think their kids will buy in as much to what the coach is teaching? Do you think the kids will work that much harder for that coach their parent says is horrible? So when parents complain to the kids and then on media sites where their kids will read. Do you think that would help the team have more success by that complaining? Most likely it has the complete opposite effect and creates a division between coach and players. Which quite honestly is unfair to the player because it is like being a kid stuck between two parents who are divorced and one parent always putting down the other. It puts them in a no win situation. A coach trying to get them to buy in, why their parent at home is telling them how bad a coach is and how a coach should be doing this or playing you here. As much as people in the stands may disagree with a play call or think how a certain offense is holding a team back. People in the stands and their complaining also can have just as much if not more of a negative effect on a program because of the divide it can cause. Teams with the most success have 100 percent buy in. That's impossible to have when kids are having to hear from their parents and on the internet how bad coaches or play calls are. It never will help anything.

So at the end of the day if all people want the same thing. To see the kids and team have success. Then the complaining in the stands and in all these threads for these schools that their kids read is not going to help make things better. I don't think the people who complain constantly about coaches everywhere seem to get that it hurts the team more than it ever would help. I didn't realize that when I was younger and I was someone who said some stupid things about coaching too. However, I realized that only does more harm than good.

Well said!

Couldn’t agree more. Well said!

To back what @futurecoach has said, you're going to have complaining with every team.. And predictability also comes with every team. When you're an offensive coach, you're going to add new plays on a weekly basis but you're going to have 8-10 plays that are your bread and butter plays. These are plays that you can run from multiple formations to get different looks, but at the end of the day its the same exact play.

I know from my days of coaching, every single team we prepped for we could identify their 10 best plays, rep those, and be prepared for the game. When we were coaching, if the team came out in certain formations in certain situations, you knew exactly what play they were going to run. It's called tendencies for a reason.

As for the coaches not wanting to coach anymore, Futurecoach is completely right. At some point, the complaining and bickering by parents gets you to a point where you're just done and the enjoyment of coaching isn't worth the additional stresses that are caused. Remember that these high school coaches are essentially getting paid pennies on the dollar to spend an extra 20 hours a week away from their families to help your child.

Obviously not calling anyone in particular out.. just stating things that I observed during my brief career.

Wow. 29 comments mostly talking about poor coaching, play calling, etc. etc. and not a sole comment on the obvious, turnovers! Cooper led 7-0 or 7-3 after the first quarter and it was 13-7 at halftime and DeSales TD came off a pick 6.

There were no less than 4-5 turnovers in the second half and the wheels just completely came off. Name a team that doesn't get stomped after 4 TOs in a single half of football? Funny how this is the same offense that the team used to win several district titles, a couple of regional titles and a State Runner-up trophy in 11 seasons of football.

Cooper has and will in most cases always be out-manned nearly every time they step on the field. Was it a terrible 2nd half of football, absolutely. Could the offensive play calling change slightly, maybe, but at the end of the day, the team that has multiple bigger and better athletes the Jags will most likely come up on the short-end of the stick. Most would not have believed after 5 games Cooper would have been 3-2 and had a great chance to beat Ryle but lost by 4 and, after shutting them out in the 2nd half, could have been 4-1.

They have a very young QB and yes, most of the team goes both ways which is the way it's always been at Cooper and will always be that way when you only have about 50 varsity players on the roster and from that they are playing the best 15-16 players, it is what it is.

So, one terrible half of football and a 3-2 record after 5 games warrants junking the entire offense, no. Should it be tweaked, absolutely. Got a tough game this Friday with CCH (no different than anyone else in NKY or the state for that matter) but I believe they'll find a way to be more competitive by regular seasons end.