Newt Gingrich for President?

Booge

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newt is no doubt counting on lots of folks having short memories. Someone mentioned damaged goods early in the thread, not the least of which was an affair with an aide in the House (sound familiar?).

However, I'd not be shocked to see Newt win - a nation that would elect Dubya not once but twice can't produce any surprises for me any more. I'm sure others see this in a much more positive light than me.:D

Newt is no doubt counting on lots of folks having short memories. Someone mentioned damaged goods early in the thread, not the least of which was an affair with an aide in the House (sound familiar?).

However, I'd not be shocked to see Newt win - a nation that would elect Dubya not once but twice can't produce any surprises for me any more. I'm sure others see this in a much more positive light than me.:D

I'm almost like you, I'm not surprised by a nation that would elect Clinton twice and all the laws he broke. But anybody that would call Hilary that, if you recall, I'd vote for him just for that.

I can't think of ANY of the serious candidates for 2008 that aren't damaged goods. The US electorate seems to have a short memory so he may be able to mount a run. I'm not sure yet if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

... The thing that will always hurts Newt politically is that he comes across as being smug and arrogant.

W ?

I found these two posts in juxtaposition to be a little ironic.

You could replace "Newt" in the first quote with the "W" in the second quote and not skip a beat.

Frances

I found these two posts in juxtaposition to be a little ironic.

You could replace "Newt" in the first quote with the "W" in the second quote and not skip a beat.

Frances

Or almost any combination of politicians...

I can't see this happening, Newt just doesn't appeal to the masses and I would question his fundraising ability. To win the presidency you have to run as a moderate and I just don't vision Newt pulling it off.

George Bush is a moderate?

I didn't say you have to govern as a moderate you just have to run as a moderate! Compassionate conservatism was a moderate campaign slogan by Bush and it worked, it got him into office to do as he wanted. It's called politics or bait and switch. I just don't see Newt having the moxy to pull it off the way Bush and Clinton have, Bush is pretty smart at leading people to think what he wants them to think while he is doing what he wants. As far as Clinton he ran as a Democrat but what true Democrat tries to alter welfare, another bait and switch tactic.