Beechwood 16 Highlands 5 (5 Innings)

Tigers came out swinging tonight as they looked to avenge their only loss at GABP last Friday night. The atmosphere felt like a Regional game with a very big crowd at Beechwood High. Carter Noah started for Beechwood and Grimme started for Highlands.

Noah struggled at times but the bats of the Tigers had his back. John Odom went 1-2 with two walks and a single. Logan Castleman was 2-4 with HR #7 (grand slam), a 2B and 7 RBI. Senior Ayden shutting was 1-2 with a 2B and an RBI. Senior Devin Johnson was also 2-3 with his 3rd HR and 2 RBI. Both Dylan’s Doverspike and Alex Harper went 2-2 w/ RBI’s.

Tough day for Castleman. Only two hits, so his average is going to drop.

He is having and absolutely ridiculous year at the plate. No way I give him anything to hit with men on base, and I’d absolutely consider walking him with the bases loaded.

Having seen all the competitors in 9th region this year, there is no team that is as deep or as talented as the Beechwood team. Comparing this Beechwood team to last year's Highlands team, there are several similarities from coaching, to pitching to depth but Beechwood is a much better hitting team than Highlands was. Anyone can win and lose on any given day, but as far as 9th region is concerned, the only team that can beat Beechwood is Beechwood.

Do the Tigers have the pitching to win the state championship? They are averaging almost 10 runs a game so the offense looks more than capable.

History of the KHSAA Championship would say probably not. BW has a great all around game; but, that dominating depth of 1&2 flame throwers from the mound may not be there. Offense/defense are absolutely superb. Baserunning is exceptional. Knowledge/experience are tops. But, a dominant flamethrower can keep inferior opponents in many games. After all that is said, I still like the Tigers to fight their way out of the 9th and be very competitive at State.

History of the KHSAA Championship would say probably not. BW has a great all around game; but, that dominating depth of 1&2 flame throwers from the mound may not be there. Offense/defense are absolutely superb. Baserunning is exceptional. Knowledge/experience are tops. But, a dominant flamethrower can keep inferior opponents in many games. After all that is said, I still like the Tigers to fight their way out of the 9th and be very competitive at State.

Since the format changed, you don’t need the pitching depth you used to. Pitching is the great equalizer, and makes baseball the toughest sport to predict. I’d say Beechwood has to be considered one of the favorites. Their team ERA is 2.24 and they are hitting nearly .400 with lots of power. I think they’ve got plenty of everything, and more than enough to make a run.

Did Beechwood already win the region? Sure seems like it from all the talk in here.

Uh oh, did someone get their feelings hurt because of the butt kicking and speculation? :D

Just sending a little back your way JOAT.

Anyone who follows baseball knows it is the least predictable of all the main sports. One great pitched game against you and your season is over. A bad night for your pitcher, the same. Nothing wrong with asking questions and trying to size up the team's prospects. After the season Beechwood has posted so far, I think the questions and wonderings above are all warranted.

All that said, Highlands is still the 9th region champ till someone takes it away from them. And Beechwood knows all the above very well after last year's regional.

Did Beechwood already win the region? Sure seems like it from all the talk in here.

No one has outright said Beechwood is going to win the region. Highlands has owned this tough region for the last 4 years, and are once again a solid team. You’d be crazy to count them out. The question was asked if the Tigers have enough to win it all. And the answer (at least mine) is yes. Doesn’t mean they will. Lots of baseball left to be played.

Beechwood threw their 1 and 2 pitchers while Highlands threw their 3,4 and 5.

I guess some in Beechwood are in their feelings about losing an exhibition game?

Highlands only used two pitchers, so they didn't pitch their 3, 4 and 5 pitchers. Is Grimme not one of their top two pitchers?