Bengals 31 Saints 16

Nonnac

Marvin and Chuck seems to as they put him out there in front of others.

Joseph allows his man to be behind him, Williams doesn't provide the coverage and lets the WR be behind him, I would assume that is what he is supposed to provide and yet James gets the blame. I agree that James has to make a play but it was not his fault that the WR was past both Joseph and Williams.

Joseph had safety help and is supposed to play underneath his man with safety help. Williams got there. Number 20 was between both of them and the reciever and failed to touch the ball while also preventing the other 2 from making the tackle or play on the ball. It wasn't his fault that he was past Williams, but IMO Williams gets there had it not been for James. They are putting him in front of Ratliff and a rookie and noone with talent. Joseph should be starting now and the coaches are doing the team no justice by starting James. I don't even think he should be the nickel back if everyone is healthy. Granted I would have started him yesterday, but Joseph had more good plays than James.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not his man, not his coverage and still somehow he gets the blame for it. Doesn't Joseph deserve some of the blame since it was his guy.

James was coming off of his guy to try and make the play.

I think the 3 of them (Williams) all deserve the blame on that play.

Ya know I tried that "it wasn't my man, coach" once and got my rear end chewed .

#20 decided to avoid contact rather than make a play on the ball. Simple as that.

Joseph had safety help and is supposed to play underneath his man with safety help. Williams got there. Number 20 was between both of them and the reciever and failed to touch the ball while also preventing the other 2 from making the tackle or play on the ball. It wasn't his fault that he was past Williams, but IMO Williams gets there had it not been for James. They are putting him in front of Ratliff and a rookie and noone with talent. Joseph should be starting now and the coaches are doing the team no justice by starting James. I don't even think he should be the nickel back if everyone is healthy. Granted I would have started him yesterday, but Joseph had more good plays than James.

So your position is that on a play that Williams and Joseph had the responsibility for the coverage and had it covered BUT gave way to a player that had LEFT his COVERED man when the ball went into the air and moved across part of the field to get to the ball.

Also, interesting that you make the point that Williams and Joseph had the play but James had enough time to come off of his man after the ball went into the air, get to the position he was in before they could.

Ya know I tried that "it wasn't my man, coach" once and got my rear end chewed .

#20 decided to avoid contact rather than make a play on the ball. Simple as that.

Okay, I am a little confused on what you are saying. I thought James tried to make a play on the ball when he went airborne for the interception/tip and missed. Joseph nor Williams were in position to make that try or make the tackle. I don't believe they even knew James was going to do that but were caught offguard when he came flying through.

If James is not in position, I think the WR just catches it and continues to run away from Williams/Joseph as he was doing.

I am not defending James as he is part of the problem with the defense. But pointing out that O'Neal has been beat his share of the time. So has Williams (he has disappointed me in his return, I expected more from him this season). And so has Joseph. There is plenty of blame to be passed around instead of piling it all on James.

Does anyone believe that if James was not playing that the Bengals defense would be markedly better?

So your position is that on a play that Williams and Joseph had the responsibility for the coverage and had it covered BUT gave way to a player that had LEFT his COVERED man when the ball went into the air and moved across part of the field to get to the ball.

Also, interesting that you make the point that Williams and Joseph had the play but James had enough time to come off of his man after the ball went into the air, get to the position he was in before they could.

He failed to make a play and prevented 2 other people from making the play. Why do you defend his badness? He's terrible and I'm clueless as to why you don't see it.

Okay, I am a little confused on what you are saying. I thought James tried to make a play on the ball when he went airborne for the interception/tip and missed. Joseph nor Williams were in position to make that try or make the tackle. I don't believe they even knew James was going to do that but were caught offguard when he came flying through.

If James is not in position, I think the WR just catches it and continues to run away from Williams/Joseph as he was doing.

I am not defending James as he is part of the problem with the defense. But pointing out that O'Neal has been beat his share of the time. So has Williams (he has disappointed me in his return, I expected more from him this season). And so has Joseph. There is plenty of blame to be passed around instead of piling it all on James.

Does anyone believe that if James was not playing that the Bengals defense would be markedly better?[/QUOTE]

IF they replace the worst defensive player on the team then yes they get better. If they replace him with Joseph I think they are better. James was a cover guy and was all about his speed. He's lost that and the other weaknesses in his game (tackling) show that much more than when he had the speed to play the finesse corner game.

They need to sit James and start Joseph next game. I thought Joseph was drafted to replace James and James is really starting to decline. He seems to get beat on every play. Joseph has shown some potential and is oh so close to that first interception. If he can get the reps and experience of a starter, he can be a very good corner.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5694

NEW ORLEANS - In their most complete game of the season, the names usually footnoted gave the Bengals the headline they so desperately needed: “Playoff hopes still alive,” as six injured starting players sat on the inactive list.

While the offense churned out a record-breaking day by wide receiver Chad Johnson and triple-digit outings by running back Rudi Johnson and quarterback Carson Palmer, the defense forced four turnovers to end a three-game drought behind a most unlikely band of backups as the special teams banded together for one of their most impressive games yet.

Nice little piece about Kilmer in there.

I do recall people sayin how bad Miller was:sssh: :

And if there was ever a total team effort by the coaching staff and the players, this was it on defense. While Kilmer praised Coyle and assistant secondary coach Louie Cioffi for their patience, the Bengals benched rookie Ahmad Brooks at middle linebacker and got 14 tackles and their first fumble recovery in nearly two months (Sept. 24 in Pittsburgh) from Caleb Miller. Defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan mixed it up enough that strong safety Kevin Kaesviharn equaled his career total of two sacks in 80 previous games against a New Orleans club that is first in the NFL in allowing the fewest sacks per pass.

I do recall people sayin how bad Miller was:sssh: :

And if there was ever a total team effort by the coaching staff and the players, this was it on defense. While Kilmer praised Coyle and assistant secondary coach Louie Cioffi for their patience, the Bengals benched rookie Ahmad Brooks at middle linebacker and got 14 tackles and their first fumble recovery in nearly two months (Sept. 24 in Pittsburgh) from Caleb Miller. Defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan mixed it up enough that strong safety Kevin Kaesviharn equaled his career total of two sacks in 80 previous games against a New Orleans club that is first in the NFL in allowing the fewest sacks per pass.

I've bashed and bashed Miller, and I ate my words (happiliy) yesterday! He played great.

Does anyone believe that if James was not playing that the Bengals defense would be markedly better?[/QUOTE]

On the play you mention, James and Joseph was both on the field and Joseph was beat. So who do you put in James place with Joseph on the field and ONeal injured? Ratliff?

Also, I thought it was in Marvin We Trust and he obviously has confidence in James over the other choices.

IF they replace the worst defensive player on the team then yes they get better. If they replace him with Joseph I think they are better. James was a cover guy and was all about his speed. He's lost that and the other weaknesses in his game (tackling) show that much more than when he had the speed to play the finesse corner game.

On the play you mention, James and Joseph was both on the field and Joseph was beat. So who do you put in James place with Joseph on the field and ONeal injured? Ratliff?

Also, I thought it was in Marvin We Trust and he obviously has confidence in James over the other choices.

My point in "defending his badness" as you put it, is NOT to defend him but to point out there are several of those defensive players that are not having a good season. Lewis ripped, as much as Lewis ever rips a player in the press, ONeal last week.

My point in "defending his badness" as you put it, is NOT to defend him but to point out there are several of those defensive players that are not having a good season. Lewis ripped, as much as Lewis ever rips a player in the press, ONeal last week.

Joseph wasn't beat. He had safety help and was supposed to be underneath.