Danville 64 Elliott County 49

Dang, what happen the 2nd half?

I didn’t go today but a friend called me and said Elliott County had a 4 point lead with about a quarter left to play and their star guard, Korbet Spencer, hurt his knee and had to leave the game. He came back in and tried to play but was obviously lame. Danville went on a big run to win the game.

Elliott County goes as Spencer goes and without him they become fairly ordinary.

Spencer did hurt his leg a little or something. He was pretty controlled by Danville defense before he hurt his leg. Danville picked it up in second half and created their own offense. Elliot is good but Danville was much better tonight..

I didn’t go today but a friend called me and said Elliott County had a 4 point lead with about a quarter left to play and their star guard, Korbet Spencer, hurt his knee and had to leave the game. He came back in and tried to play but was obviously lame. Danville went on a big run to win the game.

Elliott County goes as Spencer goes and without him they become fairly ordinary.

Spencer played 29 mins and went 3/12 from the field.

Elliot Co. runs nothing offensively. 5 out Dribble Drive-Weave. Tough to beat an athletic/solid team like Danville when their defense is allowed to sit in front of you. They took tough, forced shots all night long. Does Elliot always play this way?

Danville played a lot of zone in the first half and Elliott County was comfortable.

They went nothing but man in the second half and Elliott struggled a bit at first, but Spencer is hard to guard 1-on-1 and Danville assigned Zach Thornton to guard him. The Thornton-Spencer matchup was going to be epic, and for a few possessions it was - Thornton got a block, then Spencer got a 3-point play at the rim, back and forth, and Elliott led by 2.

Midway though 3rd Quarter Spencer penetrated off a ball screen and got fouled, but rolled his ankle on the fall. He stayed in the game but never looked the same after that, he noticeably limped and was just a step slower than usual. He missed several shots after that, partly because of Thornton's defense and partly because he wasn't 100%.

Danville slowly pulled away, they capitalized on several turnovers as Spencer surrendered the ball handling responsibility and the other Elliott County guards struggled a bit. Spencer played until around 3 minutes left in the game but wasn't the player he was in the first half or first few minutes of the second half.

Danville may have won anyway, their change to straight man defense at halftime certainly made a difference, but I think this game was headed to a tight finish if Spencer had been 100%. Spencer vs. Thornton was great for a few possessions, two good athletes who were in full compete mode.

Danville is really strong defensively and will be a tough out in the All A. And they have a different scorer to worry about every game.

Elliott looked very good before the injury and has to be a favorite out of the 16th.

Spencer played 29 mins and went 3/12 from the field.

As I said in my post, I wasn’t there. Only relaying what I was told through a phone call. He said when Spencer hurt his knee (at least what he thought but another post meationed an ankle roll) Elliott had a 4 point lead. He tried to play through it but had a bad limp and couldn’t make his shots.

Sometimes a great player trying to play injured is worse than not playing. I have always thought an injured Bogans was detrimental to UK’s chances vs Marquette in the 2003 regionals.

Danville played a lot of zone in the first half and Elliott County was comfortable.

They went nothing but man in the second half and Elliott struggled a bit at first, but Spencer is hard to guard 1-on-1 and Danville assigned Zach Thornton to guard him. The Thornton-Spencer matchup was going to be epic, and for a few possessions it was - Thornton got a block, then Spencer got a 3-point play at the rim, back and forth, and Elliott led by 2.

Midway though 3rd Quarter Spencer penetrated off a ball screen and got fouled, but rolled his ankle on the fall. He stayed in the game but never looked the same after that, he noticeably limped and was just a step slower than usual. He missed several shots after that, partly because of Thornton's defense and partly because he wasn't 100%.

Danville slowly pulled away, they capitalized on several turnovers as Spencer surrendered the ball handling responsibility and the other Elliott County guards struggled a bit. Spencer played until around 3 minutes left in the game but wasn't the player he was in the first half or first few minutes of the second half.

Danville may have won anyway, their change to straight man defense at halftime certainly made a difference, but I think this game was headed to a tight finish if Spencer had been 100%. Spencer vs. Thornton was great for a few possessions, two good athletes who were in full compete mode.

Danville is really strong defensively and will be a tough out in the All A. And they have a different scorer to worry about every game.

Elliott looked very good before the injury and has to be a favorite out of the 16th.

Danville also was without their starting point Tevin Kavanaugh,the whole game. He may have played 2 minutes. He is one of the best defenders also. Spencer really didn't do that much before the injury. I just don't think it made that much of a difference.

Danville also was without their starting point Tevin Kavanaugh,the whole game. He may have played 2 minutes. He is one of the best defenders also. Spencer really didn't do that much before the injury. I just don't think it made that much of a difference.

I was really surprised he played. Looked like more of a cast than a brace. Hope he's ok and able to play down the stretch.

I think Danville is the better team and would win 8 out of 10 games vs. Elliott.

But Spencer stopped handling the ball as much after his injury and Danville got at least 10 easy points off of turnovers as a result. I believe it would have been a closer game if Spencer was 100% throughout, regardless of his scoring. Not saying it made a difference in the outcome, but I think it would have been a closer game to the end.

I believe Danville will comfortably move to the semifinals and has the defense to beat UHA, and has the overall talent to win the All A. They've been a 2nd half team all season and they'll need to be careful about getting off to a slow start and falling too far behind a good team, but I like their chances.