Wolfe County starting a football program

Great deal for Wolfe County. Would love to see all the schools in that area (Menifee, Lee, Owsley) that do not have football begin programs.

I'm not sure where you would put a field out for either or those schools. Menifee's school sits right on the road (if I remember correctly) and Lee and Owsley's schools sit up on a hill so not much room.

I'm not sure where you would put a field out for either or those schools. Menifee's school sits right on the road (if I remember correctly) and Lee and Owsley's schools sit up on a hill so not much room.

Menifee's fields are located at the county park and an elementary school. They have soccer so it would be possible. The other 2 maybe a little more difficult but I don't know enough about the available land in those 2.

The bigger issue for Owsley County is there’s only around 100 males in the high school. I realize there’s smaller schools that have football but most of those have had football for decades and also reside in counties with multiple high schools where they can get a few transfers. Owsley is the only school in the county.

• 4 weeks later...

Per the original job listing on the KHSAA's site "The Board has allotted $5500.00 to get the program going. $3000 stipend for the head coach and $2500 can be used for assistants or equipment. ALL other monies must be raised or donated."

The Wolves are intending to play home games at the athletic complex adjacent to their school on a field that is also home to the Wolfe County HS boys soccer team, the Wolfe County youth football program, and shares space for the school's baseball and softball fields. Unfortunately back in early January, they had the field vandalized when someone drove a vehicle out on the field and did donuts on the turf, tearing much of it up. They now have to spend some of the very little allotted football team money for repairs to the turf.

There is a GoFundMe page out there to help raise money for the program....thus far it has only raised $205, and $200 of that has come directly from Coach Vanderhoof.

Wolfe.jpg

$2500 for assistants or equipment!?!?!?! Um, well Wolfe Co BOE, you're gonna need a lot of both. :ohbrother:

It appears Wolfe Co BOE needs to hire an agency to give them some expert advice on how to get their football program up and running. It obviously is going to cost much more money than what they think.

It appears Wolfe Co BOE needs to hire an agency to give them some expert advice on how to get their football program up and running. It obviously is going to cost much more money than what they think.

Or they are not that serious about starting a program.