Middle School Girls Basketball

Guest Boozer13

Anyone know of IHM 8th graders playing down? I heard one freshman and one varsity player played down in the tourney.

This would be against Nkmsaa rules.

They were. My understanding that playing freshman ball is OK. However, I’ve heard playing JV or Varsity is against the rules but I don’t know. They have a player rostered on the JV team at Holy Cross that is currently playing for them in this tournament.

Just looked at the by-laws to confirm it is against the rules. They have a player that has played in regular season and post season games that is rostered on Holy Cross’s JV team. However, I don’t know if she has played in any JV games.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So based on all the officials threats this year, the parents from Holmes that we’re asked to leave tonight are suspended 1 full year correct??

Ihm has 2 players that play freshman for St Henry and one that plays freshman for Holy Cross, that is permitted under the by laws and has been for 3 years. The player that is rostered for Holy Cross jv hasnt played a second of a JV game this season. She is likely rostered for games after middle school is finished. That is also permitted.

Just looked at the by-laws to confirm it is against the rules. They have a player that has played in regular season and post season games that is rostered on Holy Cross’s JV team. However, I don’t know if she has played in any JV games.

Wowzers.

Rule Number 7.

Northern Kentucky Middle School Athletic Association By-Laws and Handbook

II. Basketball

A. Rules regarding league play will be consistent with those established by the Kentucky High School Athletic

Association (KHSAA) with the following clarifications and modifications.

1. Games shall consist of four (4) six (6) minute quarters.

2. Halftime shall be not less than eight (8) minutes

3. Overtime will consist of an additional three minute quarter. This will continue until a winner is declared.

4. All teams must provide a roster to the Director of Basketball one (1) week prior to the 1st game and must be

signed by the member school athletic director, school principal, or head varsity coach. Roster must include: player’s name, height, and jersey number. Any changes must be immediately disseminated. Any additions are not allowed after December 31st.

5. Games are to be played using regulation 6-minute quarters. Time between quarters is to be one (1) minute. Halftime for all games is not to be less than eight (8) minutes. Halftime may be extended due to halftime performances of Dance Teams, Cheerleading Squads, 8th Grade Recognition Nights, etc. It should be a practice of our league to provide visiting teams notice at least one hour prior to these events as a courtesy. At this time, the explanation of how the halftime will be set up and when team warm-ups will take place.

6. If multiple games are played on a day, time between games will be no less than eight (8) minutes between contests. (adopted 2010)

7. Any player that participates for any reason at the high school junior varsity or varsity level in basketball is automatically ineligible for the NKMSAA regular season league games, as well as NKMSAA post-season tournament. Middle school students that play freshmen basketball must complete and adhere to the NKMSAA waiver to continue middle school eligibility. Waivers must be submitted and approved by Director of Basketball. (revised 2015)

8. Team players should not take the court until the coach from that school is present and in the arena to supervise their team.

9. A team leading by twenty (20) points will not be allowed to press and must fall back on defense to the mid-court line. Coaches will be warned if they press over twenty points. A second warning of pressing over twenty points will result in a technical foul for the coach. A third time will result in a second technical and ejection from the game of the coach. (adopted 2010)

10. Games in which the lead exceeds 25 points in the second half, a running clock will be offered to the coach of the team that is behind by 25 or more points. (adopted 2015)

11. Student-athletes are eligible to play up grade levels in basketball, but not down. Middle school basketball players may not play more than 2 grade levels in one evening. If a school has an SBDM policy prohibiting playing multiple grade levels, the SBDM will supersede this association policy. (adopted 2015)

12. Tie-Breakers for end of season tournament seeding will be as follows: Large Schools- Division, Head-to-Head, Overall, Coin Flip Small Schools- Overall, Head-to-Head, Coin Flip

B. All othe

Great 7th grade girls competition from all the games I have watched. The finals will have Bally vs. Gray. Gray had a nice win over Holmes and exciting game. Bally beat Highlands 35-16. We played Holmes the first game of the year and experienced some of the Holmes parents first hand. Last night was another example of poor parent behavior. Some of those folks need to grow up and behave like reasonable adults.

It's amazing how people get on here and make post, when you have no clue as to what your talking about. The Holmes girls played with class all season, not one game did I ever see these girls play dirty. Obviously you have no clue about the man that coaches these young ladies. He has been with the Holmes program for several years. This is the same man that coached that 8th grade boys Holmes team that won the Middle school state tournament a few years ago. He recently transferred from the boys side to the girls side. He would never allow his players to play dirty. I'm sure Holmes would have never allowed him to coach all these years if that was the case. The Holmes Parents are vocal, they complain just like other teams Parents, both sets of fans were complaining about the officiating. It wasn't as one sided as everyone else on here would like you to believe. In watching middle and high school games over the past 20 years I have never been in any gym were the Parents didn't complain, or get upset with the officials. You have folks on here stating what the Parents were chanting, not once did I here them chant the teams record. Mostly they were trying to motivate their girls to keep playing hard. Yes there was Dad who was over the top and was extremely upset and in no way am I'm going to try and justify his actions. Most of you on here have only seen the Holmes team once maybe twice, and to say the Holmes Parents always have poor behavior is ridiculous. Someone posted a comment about the first game of the season with Bally well I was also at that game and it was quite uneventful. If I recall the gym was packed because it was the first weekend of school ball so of course there was a lot of cheering going on but nothing over the top. For some of you to even think that the Holmes girls would try and take cheap shots and intentionally foul girls hard, and to the showed class comment like these girls don't have class is terrible and shame on you. These young ladies should not be judged by the name on their jersey, or the inner city school they attend. The Holmes 7th grade team consist of girls in 5th, 6th and 7th grade and what they accomplished this season is amazing and for people to be on here with all the negative comments is unfair to these girls. Kudos to the Holmes coaching staff because they did an outstanding job with those girls this season.

The young ladies from Holmes play well and have a terrific team. The coaching staff also is doing a fine job from my viewpoint. I would agree that parents from many of the teams get excited and cheer, complain about the refs, etc., but personally I think that some, not all, of the Holmes parents take it over the top. My daughter plays for Bally and I was at the first game. The young ladies from Holmes played great and the coaches were great as well. My problem is that I personally saw and witnessed a few Holmes parents make comments about our girls negatively, purposefully try to bait some of our parents into arguments and just behaved poorly. We simply enjoyed the game, took the loss like adults, didn't respond back and encouraged our girls. Then again last night I watched poor behavior again not only from the gentleman in question, but others as well. So maybe these two instances I witnessed were just not typical behavior, but I doubt it. For as great as the kids and coaches did at Holmes, if some of the parents in the stands can't be adults and act within reason, they are leaving a black eye on the program.

No one in this thread has made a single negative comment about the Holmes girls and they shouldn’t. My daughters have played against them 6 times the last two years. They play hard and well. They aren’t dirty at all and no one should characterize them that way. The coach seems like a solid guy and is a good coach no doubt. Their parents on the other hand are ridiculous, foul mouthed and detract from the performance of their players. The administration is aware of that and committed to addressing it.

No one in this thread has made a single negative comment about the Holmes girls and they shouldn’t. My daughters have played against them 6 times the last two years. They play hard and well. They aren’t dirty at all and no one should characterize them that way. The coach seems like a solid guy and is a good coach no doubt. Their parents on the other hand are ridiculous, foul mouthed and detract from the performance of their players. The administration is aware of that and committed to addressing it.

Best post I’ve seen in days! Well said.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
Rule 13