Why is Frederick Douglass moving from 6A to 5A next year?

teeroy

I can’t imagine that their enrollment is shrinking. A Lexington public school playing in 5A doesn’t make sense to me.

By the way, they are destroying teams! Do y’all think they are top 3 in the state? Male looks tough and so do a few other teams, such as Boyle Co, etc.

Cov Cath is the best team in the state right now.

They are definitely a solid #2 behind Male.

But back to the subject. I'm not sure why Frederick Douglass is moving down a class. It will definitely make things interesting in 5A. Especially if they play like they are this year.

Well that district is going to make some people scratch their heads. It will include

Fredrick Douglas

Scott Co

Great Crossing

Montgomery Co

Grant Co

So two of the top 6A schools will be in a 5A district. I’ve heard that Scott Co is allowing players to decide to stay at Scott Co or go to Great Crossing. The KHSAA figured the enrollment for those two schools off a straight split on male enrollment. Past Fredrick Douglas and Scott Co it is going to be brutal for the other three schools for district play.

Well that district is going to make some people scratch their heads. It will include

Fredrick Douglas

Scott Co

Great Crossing

Montgomery Co

Grant Co

So two of the top 6A schools will be in a 5A district. I’ve heard that Scott Co is allowing players to decide to stay at Scott Co or go to Great Crossing. The KHSAA figured the enrollment for those two schools off a straight split on male enrollment. Past Fredrick Douglas and Scott Co it is going to be brutal for the other three schools for district play.

That looks like a meat grinder!

Reading the enrollment reports from the 2017-18 school year reads that they actually only have roughly 900 kids which would place them as a middle of the pack (enrollment wise) 4A school. Unless they made a sudden jump like South Warren when they went from 3A to 5A in 2 years, I can’t imagine that figure is far off their current enrollment.