What should we do with the homeless?

plantmanky

That’s going to be a smaller number, so I suggest we concentrate on the larger group first. Deal with the issues that make people homeless in the first place.

I think you have to deal with both at the same time. The more you let a small few linger, the more they grow in numbers.

The homeless situation seems worse than anytime I remember. The problem is that there are so many reasons for people who are homeless. From mental illness to financial to battered women to families not accepting their kid's sexual orientation to runways from violent home life to drug abuse and many other reasons. It's really sad and I don't know the answer to solving all of it.

Is there a specific "situation" that you're talking about in Cincinnati, or are you just talking about homeless people, in general.

I had in mind a recent story where a group of homeless people in Cinci had a list of demands on the city that included, leaving them alone, and giving them porta potties and showers. In addition, there was a recent story about the police clearing out an encampment underneath one or more of the overpasses.

Here's a link to the story: Third Street homeless have a list of demands for Cincinnati

40 years ago, long term mental health facilities were shut down, most of them for good reason because there was a lot of abuse. Problem is the plan to incorporate them into society failed miserably because there were not (and still is not) enough social service angencies to care for them. As a result mentally ill people have trouble getting and keeping housing. Many get evicted for damaging property, even setting fires. Their families don’t want them for the same reasons. Others are too paranoid to be in shelters. Social workers find them temporary housing, and they often run away. Basically, there is a large portion of homeless in Cincinnati who simply can’t make it on their own.

I think that bringing back quality, well regulated long term care for mentally ill people would help tremendously.

As far as those homeless who are not mentally ill, we need services for them as well. Drug treatment, job placement, etc. But, no matter what, there will always be homeless people IMO. Some people won’t accept help not matter what.

40 years ago, long term mental health facilities were shut down, most of them for good reason because there was a lot of abuse. Problem is the plan to incorporate them into society failed miserably because there were not (and still is not) enough social service angencies to care for them. As a result mentally ill people have trouble getting and keeping housing. Many get evicted for damaging property, even setting fires. Their families don’t want them for the same reasons. Others are too paranoid to be in shelters. Social workers find them temporary housing, and they often run away. Basically, there is a large portion of homeless in Cincinnati who simply can’t make it on their own.

I think that bringing back quality, well regulated long term care for mentally ill people would help tremendously.

As far as those homeless who are not mentally ill, we need services for them as well. Drug treatment, job placement, etc. But, no matter what, there will always be homeless people IMO. Some people won’t accept help not matter what.

Who deceides what quality regulated long term mental health care is?

I had in mind a recent story where a group of homeless people in Cinci had a list of demands on the city that included, leaving them alone, and giving them porta potties and showers. In addition, there was a recent story about the police clearing out an encampment underneath one or more of the overpasses.

Here's a link to the story: Third Street homeless have a list of demands for Cincinnati

Thanks. Some of had no idea what the first post was referencing. CWB may as he has NKY ties. Others of us don’t.

We’re struggling with homelessness issues here in Louisville as well. There are a several really great organizations ministering to them, and acting as mediators of a sort between the homeless community and the city.

As mentioned before this post, it is a very complicated issue. There are many reasons it happens and no one solution. It is not very hard to find oneself homeless. It is an incredibly difficult road to move out of homelessness. And another fun fact, there are people who are homeless who actually DO have jobs.

In the end, there is no one-size-fits-all solution, so to reduce homelessness we must address many issues, not the least of which is affordable housing. We need some creative minds to find a way to develop decent housing that doesn’t cost more per month than a minimum wage earner can even bring home in a month, while still paying utilities and food, daycare and the like.

And let’s not act like the homeless are just the faces on the street. There are plenty of people living with friends or family that would be joining the street people if not for that temporary reprieve, even in rural areas.

And to address one other point in this thread, it is not illegal to be homeless. It may be illegal to do certain things like panhandle, or occupy certain spaces. But being homeless is not illegal.

Who deceides what quality regulated long term mental health care is?

Each state has a department of mental health. I work in Ohio and the rules are pretty strict under the ODMH. Mentally ill people have a bill of rights and violating those rights have consequences, depending on the violation. Regular inspections are made. The days of torturing and neglecting the mentally ill are hopefully over

Each state has a department of mental health. I work in Ohio and the rules are pretty strict under the ODMH. Mentally ill people have a bill of rights and violating those rights have consequences, depending on the violation. Regular inspections are made. The days of torturing and neglecting the mentally ill are hopefully over

So the answer is the government correct? Same government that runs the VA? Hows that working out?

So the answer is the government correct? Same government that runs the VA? Hows that working out?

She didn't say running them, she said regulating them. It's the same government that has regulated many industries and made them much safer for the targeted beneficiaries than would otherwise have been possible.

I agree with you on that one! Government would not run it, just as they don’t run the hospital that I work at. They do inspect and regulate it though. Serious violations can result in losing your license. Believe me, complaints made to the Ohio Department of Mental Health are taken very seriously and is a big deal to the institution that the complaint it is made against.

It breaks my heart to see patients come in, get better, and then discharged to the streets, bad group homes, shelters, or families that are only interested in getting their check. They have no real structure in their lives, decompensate, end up back on the streets and come back several times a year.

Edited by Beechwoodfan

Maybe some all night and day road construction next to the camp will make them move on. I saw on the news that they were leaving, but after the city came in to clean and disinfect the area, they started returning! Shouldn't they need an occupancy permit to stay downtown in their own structure?