Somerset 2018

Ram

So Somerset has scrimmaged Corbin and then did a 3-way scrimmage last night vs. Garrard and Casey County correct?

Is their schedule on KHSAA correct? It shows Somerset playing Week 0 vs. Lincoln County and then taking the last week of the regular season for a BYE after a 10-game schedule.

Something is not adding up here if so...

Isn't the rule that if you play Week 0 and take a BYE you can only do one scrimmage?

Not trying to snitch on Somerset, but something doesn't seem right unless there was a rule change I am not aware of.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Somerset has scrimmaged Corbin and then did a 3-way scrimmage last night vs. Garrard and Casey County correct?

Is their schedule on KHSAA correct? It shows Somerset playing Week 0 vs. Lincoln County and then taking the last week of the regular season for a BYE.

Isn't the rule that if you play Week 0 and take a BYE you can only do one scrimmage?

Not trying to snitch on Somerset, but something doesn't seem right unless there was a rule change I am not aware of.

I think the Corbin thing was a combined practice not a scrimmage per se'. At least that's what I was told.

Is their schedule on KHSAA correct? It shows Somerset playing Week 0 vs. Lincoln County and then taking the last week of the regular season for a BYE.

Is there a difference in a controlled practice and a scrimmage? I heard the Corbin thing called a controlled practice.

I think the Corbin thing was a combined practice not a scrimmage per se'. At least that's what I was told.

Wasn't there but the word I got was that in regular game simulation Corbin scored once and Somerset did not score, that ended 7-0 Corbin. Then they ran goal line for 10 plays each and Corbin scored 7 times while Somerset only scored once. Defense looked solid from what I heard. Offense still has a ways to go.

If this description is true that sounds like it is definitely a scrimmage. Regular game simulation and goal line against each other

If this description is true that sounds like it is definitely a scrimmage. Regular game simulation and goal line against each other

I'm not sure what the difference is. I've heard of others having combined practices, no idea what makes it a scrimmage and what makes it just a combined practice.

How does it work when teams go to a team camp and go against other schools every afternoon?

GETTING SOME WORK IN | Local Sports | thetimestribune.com

Also the Corbin paper and Haddix called it a scrimmage

Corbin coach Justin Haddix said he liked what he saw out of his team during its first preseason scrimmage against Class 2A's Somerset Briar Jumpers, but he also saw some things his team needs to work on as well.

"It was our first scrimmage, so I knew we would have some things we'd do good on combined with some things we will continue to work on," he said. "I thought our guys came out and gave good effort, and that was very good."

Haddix said he was impressed with his team's defensive effort, but thought on the offensive side of the ball, there were things his team needs to improve on.

GETTING SOME WORK IN | Local Sports | thetimestribune.com

Also the Corbin paper and Haddix called it a scrimmage

Corbin coach Justin Haddix said he liked what he saw out of his team during its first preseason scrimmage against Class 2A's Somerset Briar Jumpers, but he also saw some things his team needs to work on as well.

"It was our first scrimmage, so I knew we would have some things we'd do good on combined with some things we will continue to work on," he said. "I thought our guys came out and gave good effort, and that was very good."

Haddix said he was impressed with his team's defensive effort, but thought on the offensive side of the ball, there were things his team needs to improve on.

Given that Corbin still has a scrimmage vs. Harlan County and also plays in week zero I would have to think the session with Somerset is something that is okay with the KHSAA. Especially since neither team was exactly stealthy about it. I can't imagine they were both hoping no one would notice.