Is it time for Krumps?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of this is fairly comical. A guy with 9 Regional titles doesn’t know baseball. He doesn’t use Twitter. Come on man. He has his style and it has obviously worked. It’s not as easy as people think to win the 9th in baseball. The only regions that compare in depth are the 6,7 and 11th regions. Krumps probably has 6-8 Region Runner up trophy’s also. It’s a tough format, one and out for baseball. You can run into a pitcher who is lights out for that one game and get beat.

Remember people no one has to go to CCH it’s a choice. There are plenty of other Parochial schools around or Independent Public Schools that parents can send their kids to. Not to mention the District Public school where you live.

Coach Krumps certainly has earned and deserves more respect than what has been provided here. His coaching strategy continues to win, still today. First, let's start with the assertion that his past players don't like him. He currently has about 8 former players that coach at all levels for him (some that played college ball). They range in age; mid 20's, mid 30's, mid 40's to mid 50's. My son played for Coach Krumps, and for that reason he was a better player, and it helped him grow as a young man.

He is tough, yet consistent and fair. He demands excellence, he demands that his players play smart and hard. He expects players to buy into doing things the right way, on and off the field and especially in the classroom. He never berates or attacks a player personally. As much as any other past coach at CCH, one of his best attributes for any player is the positive influence of 'life lessons'. I hear the compliments from GCL, Ohio or other non-9th region schools about the playing discipline instilled at CCH, much less the way the players engage and enjoy the post-game field maintenance. There is ZERO player or Daddy drama involved with CCH baseball, as there is with many other 9th region schools.

It's funny, many of the strong derogatory opinions about Krumps are from CCH's arch-competitors. Some that have also recently lauded the hire of their school's new, young progressive coach that apparently shares the same attributes as Krumps. One of which seems to be experiencing an extreme culture change favoring such discipline.

He is not the curmudgeon or relic as you describe. Baseball aside, he is a great Biology teacher that is beloved by many/most of his AP students. I don't think there is another coach or teacher at CCH that is visited by his former students or players more than Krumps.

Baseball wise, his teams are generally as fundamentally sound as any team in the region. Yes, he does expect everyone to know how to bunt, feel free to question his strategy on bunting if you wish. I see how successful it is as it puts pressure on a defense; not only on the situational bunting, but the related hit and runs, bunt and steals, or routine grounders through an infield that is drawn in or is expecting a bunt. Most bunts are not straight sac bunts, they are for base hits. The average of safe or successful bunts are generally higher than the given batting average of that player. Contrary to myth though, Krumps has evolved in his coaching strategies. I have seen him win a lot of games against a high level of competition with average talent.

He has, and continues to have success. He still is the only coach from the 9th to win state. I believe that he is 3rd in state for all time wins. Yes, there have been years that they could have or should have won the region; as there has been with other schools and in all sports. If the benchmark for success in high school is winning a Region or State title, then Coach Krumps should be held to same level of expectation as any coach from any school. He knows that. If you also factor in a high level of winning, creating program of excellence, developing and nurturing talent, instilling structure, discipline and commitment, then he should be commended. How many coaches have won at least 20 games in each year over the last 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, much less 40 years?

I like and respect coach Krumps, and hope that he continues to coach at CCH for a while.

The fact that he has survived Principal Bob Rowe for all of the years that Rowe has been there speaks volumes.

IF Rowe felt that the baseball Colonels weren't representing CovCath to the best of their abilities, Krumps would have retired "to spend more time with his family" by now and someone else would be doing the job.

Rowe is extremely hands on when it comes to the Colonels' sports teams, as witnessed in football, basketball and soccer. Perhaps Krumps, being an older, more established coach in the system, gets a longer leash, but believe me IF Rowe felt that they could be representing CovCath in a better light - they would be.

The fact that he has survived Principal Bob Rowe for all of the years that Rowe has been there speaks volumes.

IF Rowe felt that the baseball Colonels weren't representing CovCath to the best of their abilities, Krumps would have retired "to spend more time with his family" by now and someone else would be doing the job.

Rowe is extremely hands on when it comes to the Colonels' sports teams, as witnessed in football, basketball and soccer. Perhaps Krumps, being an older, more established coach in the system, gets a longer leash, but believe me IF Rowe felt that they could be representing CovCath in a better light - they would be.

Not to mention, Rowe coached lots of baseball at Brossart himself. He knows the game well, and he KNOWS Krumps knows the game well.