Is it time for Krumps?

Who are all the top players Highlands has sent to "big" colleges over the last 10 years?

During their dominant run the last 3 years they have plenty. Including some on the current team. Before their run started Beechwood had some very high level players too. Hence why I said those teams over the last 10 years. Covcath has had good solid talented clubs but not the top talent like their basketball and football teams have had recently.

The first post started with Covcath has the top crop of male athletes in nky, which is true. However being a top athlete has zero to do with being a top baseball player. They may have had the top athletes, doesn't mean they have had the top baseball players. Other schools have had better in that area.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of Cov Caths talent was on display last night. ..... along with all of Highlands "d1" talent. I would say that Cov Cath has superior talent.

So I assume you feel like Covcath has the most talented baseball players every season then compared to the rest of the 9th region? Or now since Highlands lost 11 to 0 to a coach who apparently can't coach baseball in today's age as some have stated. Does that means Highlands coach needs to be gone now too, and can't coach in today's age of baseball? Because he just lost 11 to 0 with D1 players against a coach who apparently isn't very good anymore.

It's quite simple imo. Covcath has had good teams with talent, and a very good coach. They consistently make the region, but in a one and out torunament. Where top pitching has dominated, Covcath hasn't been able to win it. The same reason why no other team has won it recently because of dominate pitching from highlands taking over once the post season starts.

I know this is a sports site but can we look at the whole man off and on the field? How many couches of a major sport teach five or six classes a day to well over a hundred students and then conduct practice and coach on game day,? Krumps has taught for over 40 years and has been a mentor to young men who have become doctors and biologist. He has many wins on the field but his most important wins are never talked about ,but are far more important.

During their dominant run the last 3 years they have plenty. Including some on the current team. Before their run started Beechwood had some very high level players too. Hence why I said those teams over the last 10 years. Covcath has had good solid talented clubs but not the top talent like their basketball and football teams have had recently.

The first post started with Covcath has the top crop of male athletes in nky, which is true. However being a top athlete has zero to do with being a top baseball player. They may have had the top athletes, doesn't mean they have had the top baseball players. Other schools have had better in that area.

There are 'plenty', but you can't name any of them?

I'm not sure of the enrollment at Otterbein, Thomas More, Ky Wesleyan, St Catharine, Hanover and John Logan but maybe some people do consider them 'big' schools.

There are 'plenty', but you can't name any of them?

I'm not sure of the enrollment at Otterbein, Thomas More, Ky Wesleyan, St Catharine, Hanover and John Logan but maybe some people do consider them 'big' schools.

My bad I guess I shall name a few for you.

Drew Rom to Michigan

Dreves to Tennesee

Kavanaugh To Kentucky

Would those qualify as big enough schools?

That's go along with teammates who played with them who are now at schools you listed and also nku. Seems to me that a pretty high level talent to have together on a high school team.

To continue with that as I stated Beechwood also has had better talent. By the facts of Beechwood having guys named Stringer and Combs who went to UK and Louisville.

So yes once again while Covcath has had talent. They usually have not been the most talented team up here in the 9th region for awhile. Yet people act like Krumps has done bad and can't coach anymore in today's age.

CCH hasn't had a D1 baseball player since '09, Maile (UK) and Isler (UC). In that time, I'm sure I will miss some, the following schools have had D1 players; Highlands, Beechwood, Ryle, Boone, and Conner. I know that shouldn't define overall talent but to say that CCH has the most talented roster each and every year is just not so.

Baseball is toughest regional championship to win, IMO. Single elimination baseball is a crazy and anything can happen and like stated above, he gets to the tournament every year.

Covcath is talented, but has their talent over the last 10 years been superior to other teams in the region? I don't think so. Can someone name a year where you can say for a fact they were the most talented team in the region and came up short?

2009. Not even a question. I’d be interested in knowing if there was a more talented team not just in 2009, but in the last 10 years. They were also the most talented in 2008.

Maile - MLB Regular

Isler- reached AAA

Nutini- college ball

Darner- college ball

Krumme- college ball

I’m sure I’m missing a few on top of that. Four of their five man rotation played in college. Maile is arguably on of the most dominant players in NKY history. Couple that with the fact that Isler, Nutini, and Darner are all over CCH Record Books.

I’d be happy to hear any argument against this team.

Edited by Runcible Owl
Fixed broken quote.

2009. Not even a question. I’d be interested in knowing if there was a more talented team not just in 2009, but in the last 10 years. They were also the most talented in 2008.

Maile - MLB Regular

Isler- reached AAA

Nutini- college ball

Darner- college ball

Krumme- college ball

I’m sure I’m missing a few on top of that. Four of their five man rotation played in college. Maile is arguably on of the most dominant players in NKY history. Couple that with the fact that Isler, Nutini, and Darner are all over CCH Record Books.

I’d be happy to hear any argument against this team.

Great point. No argument here. I guess I should have said the last 8 years then.

So basically people want him gone and don't think he can coach in today's age because he didn't win the region 9 years ago with a great talented team. Got it.

I think your jumping the gun. A great coach doesn’t win with the most talented team every year. Great coaches find the talent in their players and get them to buy into them and their teammates like all great leaders. For CCH not to have a regional title in this long of a spam is honestly laughable. I understand your argument that they have not had the absolute most talented team year in and year out, but to not win once? Ask anyone who knows the game of baseball well and they will tell you same. I’m shocked this is even a debate.

I think your jumping the gun. A great coach doesn’t win with the most talented team every year. Great coaches find the talent in their players and get them to buy into them and their teammates like all great leaders. For CCH not to have a regional title in this long of a spam is honestly laughable. I understand your argument that they have not had the absolute most talented team year in and year out, but to not win once? Ask anyone who knows the game of baseball well and they will tell you same. I’m shocked this is even a debate.

Saying its laughable that they havent won is basically putting down the other programs. By basically stating those programs those years shouldn't have been able to win it over the all mighty Colonels.

Baseball is different than other sports. It's very possible for other programs to have equal or more talent in baseball than Covcath. Not to mention it's about matchups and all it takes is being put against a dominate pitcher and your season can end. Which imo that's one of the biggest reasons Covcath hasn't won in awhile. Covcath offensively usually is good, but compared to other programs they haven't had the pitching other schools have had either and great pitching usually wins the day in one and out tournaments.

I’m certain that the dads of many current, former and future players are reading this and biting their collective tongues.

It’s an easy answer: Of Course it’s time for him to go.

He has long forgotten that this is about developing young men and demonstrating the proper leadership behaviors.

And, as was the premise of the string, with the talent at CCH, there would be many more regional trophies in the display with a new approach.

I played for the man and love him...but myself along with most I know agree with what you say. My son who is currently there elected to focus on other sports, but I also have more on the way. Hope they get a title this year and he can ride off into the sunset.

Saying its laughable that they havent won is basically putting down the other programs. By basically stating those programs those years shouldn't have been able to win it over the all mighty Colonels.

Baseball is different than other sports. It's very possible for other programs to have equal or more talent in baseball than Covcath. Not to mention it's about matchups and all it takes is being put against a dominate pitcher and your season can end. Which imo that's one of the biggest reasons Covcath hasn't won in awhile. Covcath offensively usually is good, but compared to other programs they haven't had the pitching other schools have had either and great pitching usually wins the day in one and out tournaments.

We’re just going to have to agree to disagree on this if me putting down other programs is what you are taking from this conversation. Again, anyone who truly knows the game of baseball will agree with me that his coaching is suspect at best. The man bunted Maile 17 time between 07-09. I’m not insulting your alleged knowledge of the game, but this truly isn’t a debate. Also has nothing to do with me being a CCH grad or playing for Krumps for 3 years. Not sure where I mentioned anything about CCH being “Almighty” as you alluded to.

We’re just going to have to agree to disagree on this if me putting down other programs is what you are taking from this conversation. Again, anyone who truly knows the game of baseball will agree with me that his coaching is suspect at best. The man bunted Maile 17 time between 07-09. I’m not insulting your alleged knowledge of the game, but this truly isn’t a debate. Also has nothing to do with me being a CCH grad or playing for Krumps for 3 years. Not sure where I mentioned anything about CCH being “Almighty” as you alluded to.

Who was the dominant pitcher in 2009 who matched up so well with them? Nate Snyder who wasn’t even a pitcher?

You saying Covcath not winning one in a long time being laughable is where that came from. But yes you are right we will have to agree to disagree. Which if you look at teams who have won the region, including his Covcath teams who won it. Most of them had great pitching. Which pitching is not something Covcath has had a lot of top guys at in recent years at least in comparison to the team's who has won it. When they did have it, they did win regionals and even a state title back I believe Harmon was their ace and could shut teams down.

It's very easy for anyone to say what a coach did wrong when a team losses. Based off some people's comments on here. There may be only one or two coaches in the region who know what they are doing or can coach in today's age. Because it seems like every week we hear of some other good coach who just isn't cutting it, and the people elsewhere no what that team should do.