Who Would You Like To See as the New Reds Manager?

Who Should Be the Reds Next Manager  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Be the Reds Next Manager

• Barry Larkin
    • Joe Girardi
    • John Farrell
    • Bring Back Dusty!
    • Brad Ausmus
    • Omar Vizquel
    • Other (Please Specify)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this morning's Enquirer is the following quote from Dick Williams:

"Right now the target candidates either have managed at the big-league level or have some big-league coaching experience, have some minor-league managing experience. I don't see us targeting a lot of completely out-of-the-box candidates. I think we're going to want people who have a level of comfort in the dugout, preferably at the big-league level in their background."

With that being the target, Larkin was/is not a qualified candidate. My guess is Williams shared that background requirement and both he and Larkin agreed there is no reason for him to interview.

Or did that become that background requirement after Larkin turned it down?

Edit: I see that UKMF is thinking the same as me on this.

So the Reds offer Larkin an opportunity to interview but let him know he is not qualified. Larkin says no thanks. Why would the Reds offer an interview? As a favor to get experience with an interview and to hear how a team handles a managerial interview. Maybe Larkin wants the job, maybe not. But he knows he is not qualified for what the Reds want in a manager. So he turns down the interview. And the Reds know they don't want Larkin to be manager next year so everyone walks away on good terms understanding it is not the right fit.

Or did that become that background requirement after Larkin turned it down?

Edit: I see that UKMF is thinking the same as me on this.

Why would the Reds cut off a lot of other potential candidate interviews? Larkin isn't the only potential candidate they could talk to who has no managerial/coaching experience. I think my scenario above is how it played out.

That sure seems like a lot of unnecessary activity for no reason.

I'd wager their interest in Barry was legit.

Where is all the activity or difficulty? You have an employee that you respect and like and you want to handle the situation with professional courtesy. You call Barry up and say we are interviewing candidates and here is our criteria. We are happy to interview you if you want to go through the process but our criteria is not going to change. Barry thinks about it and says I don't need to go through the interview process because that would be a waste of my time in my opinion so he declines the interview. A couple of quick conversations and everyone moves forward with a clear understanding on good terms.

Where is all the activity or difficulty? You have an employee that you respect and like and you want to handle the situation with professional courtesy. You call Barry up and say we are interviewing candidates and here is our criteria. We are happy to interview you if you want to go through the process but our criteria is not going to change. Barry thinks about it and says I don't need to go through the interview process because that would be a waste of my time in my opinion so he declines the interview. A couple of quick conversations and everyone moves forward with a clear understanding on good terms.

Because there's no need to even bring Larkin up in public comments if that's the case. If that's how it went down, and he made the comments he did publicly, well Williams is a bigger moron than most Reds fans think.

Bring back the toothpick! Nats clearly dropped the ball firing him and he was successful when in Cincy (certainly compared to the current state of affairs). Not sure you want Dusty handling a young pitching staff, but you take what you can get (assuming he would want to come back).

Because there's no need to even bring Larkin up in public comments if that's the case. If that's how it went down, and he made the comments he did publicly, well Williams is a bigger moron than most Reds fans think.

Larkin's status was going to be in the media no matter what happened and how it was handled. The media is going to bring that up in pursuit of a possible story. This looks to me like a situation handled very well and professionally from both sides.

I didn't know that most Reds fans think Dick Williams is a moron. Is that where you are coming from on your comments on this?

Because the Reds didn't go all in on the young pictures and keep throwing them out there all year? What else beyond was handled poorly?

- Their refusal to trade Harvey.

- Their continued usage of Homer Bailey.

- Their insistence on playing Billy Hamilton every day.

- Their refusal to give guys like Phillip Ervin, Dilson Herrera, and other young guys regular ABs.

- Their decision to attempt to transition Nick Senzel to a corner outfielder when they have Winker and Schebler who've they've already penciled in as starters at those spots.

- Their decision to remove Sal Romano from the rotation after two bad starts, and continue to allow Homer Bailey and Matt Harvey take the mound every 5th day.

Basically they keep clamoring on about this being a rebuild, but they keep making decisions that completely contradict that.

Bring back the toothpick! Nats clearly dropped the ball firing him and he was successful when in Cincy (certainly compared to the current state of affairs). Not sure you want Dusty handling a young pitching staff, but you take what you can get (assuming he would want to come back).

Bringing Dusty back with this young pitching staff would be a huge mistake that I can't believe the Reds would even consider. There are several very good experienced managers out there qualified to handle this team and Dusty is not one of them.

Manager in my opinion needs to be someone that is good with young pitchers, negotiating with owners in who to trade for, and who to let go. On top of knowing baseball.. DUH

However I agree this team was handled terribly the last 2-3 months. We have some good offensive pieces but we have to trade some to get starting pitching. I think keeping Harvey as a 5 in your rotation might not be a bad thing. But the only 2 pitchers I think you have next year as starters for sure are Castillo, and Descalfani. Other than that they are very inconsistent. I pray we make the right moves because we are close and have young talent that is impressive. I love Trammell, Winker, India, and Senzel. Without starting pitching it won't matter. I see the Braves and think of the Reds in similarity, and I think we are closer than most people realize. I am not sold on Iglesias as a closer as he gives up a ton of HR and has looked bad at times.