Kentucky All Star Team

Because the only thing we care about in Kentucky shouldn’t be UK basketball which ironically is successful because of people that aren’t from Kentucky. People simply don’t have pride in anything anymore these days.

You sum it up perfectly, a bunch of people, that have nothing to do with it, want to get some accolades from it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that the people who have nothing to do with it don’t care about it.

I want Kentucky to win. I want to beat Indiana in hoops, I want to beat Ohio in hoops, I want to beat Tennessee in football, I want our girls to win in hoops and on and on. But, I am not going to fault a kid for not playing.

I want Kentucky to win. I want to beat Indiana in hoops, I want to beat Ohio in hoops, I want to beat Tennessee in football, I want our girls to win in hoops and on and on. But, I am not going to fault a kid for not playing.

Slippery slope. We won’t fault kids for not playing, we won’t show up to support the kids that do play, we’ll casually look at the lopsided score, we’ll casually dismiss our own in state talent, we’ll gain the mindset that the game doesn’t matter anyways, the game will come to an end and won’t be played anymore.

And no one cares.

I think it sucks.

Slippery slope. We won’t fault kids for not playing, we won’t show up to support the kids that do play, we’ll casually look at the lopsided score, we’ll casually dismiss our own in state talent, we’ll gain the mindset that the game doesn’t matter anyways, the game will come to an end and won’t be played anymore.

And no one cares.

I think it sucks.

The World is changing and there is a lot more to do. Back in the day you had the Sweet 16 and the KY/IN Allstar game and it was a much bigger deal.

Today there is so much coverage, so many AAU Games, year round hoops practice, the All A Classic, the 2A Classic, open gym, camp, etc. Not to mention most of these kids just went through the KY/OH Allstar game and I was told the people in charge of that event preached and preached to these kids like it was 1965. Or put another way, how much is enough? How much is too much?

The World is changing and there is a lot more to do. Back in the day you had the Sweet 16 and the KY/IN Allstar game and it was a much bigger deal.

Today there is so much coverage, so many AAU Games, year round hoops practice, the All A Classic, the 2A Classic, open gym, camp, etc. Not to mention most of these kids just went through the KY/OH Allstar game and I was told the people in charge of that event preached and preached to these kids like it was 1965. Or put another way, how much is enough? How much is too much?

Good question. For me I am a traditionalist in this reality. Everything you mentioned serves a purpose. AAU gets you in to college if you choose the right program. The All A Classic is for the little guys who don’t have a chance to beat the big guys. The 2A Classic is for the medium guys who can’t beat the big guys but are too strong for the little guys. Open gyms and camps are for the high school teams to get some work in as a team so they can prepare for the season. I’d never even heard of the KY/OH game until a couple of years ago. How much is too much? How much is enough? No clue, but one thing we all know is that all of the kids choosing not to play in the KY/IN game will be playing basketball somewhere else for someone else so it’s not like they are taking time off to rest. They just aren’t playing for KY. And again, that’s fine. I get it. That doesn’t mean I have to like it or agree with it. This particular game means more to me than the others and it isn’t what it used to be in the grand scheme of things. It’s a reality I am slowly coming to grips with and it sucks.

If anything it could be a glimpse into the future of what will happen to HS basketball in KY as time goes on.