NKY/9th Region Awards

Fredrick was player of the year

Ruthsatz Coach of the Year

Ruthsatz on the verge of shattering lots of NKY records.....three trips in five years, six regionals pretty impressive.

Region wont be the same with out Fredrick, Kunkle, Mayer, Ruthsatz, Walter, Burries, Runyon, McNeil kids have been stables for three years in the Region

Welcome to BGP @balls03

I'm not too worried, but indeed that is a lot of talent that's graduating. While some years are stronger than others, inevitably they'll be some surprise upstarts and much improved players that keep things interesting and exciting in the 9th.

I'm already savoring another incredible CovCath team with the likes of Thelen, Fleek, Diskin and Mayer etc.., and I'm anticipating players like Beechwood's Scotty Draud to continue to amaze us with his awesome shooting.

Looking forward too to Cooper again being tough with players like Ty Houston and Blaine Walters, and eager also to see what I'm guessing to be a big significant role jump by Michael Spencer.

Newport should be pretty decent with Harding and his cast of other fine talent that are only juniors this season.

With word all season that St. Henry has some upcoming strong players in their pipeline, I can't wait to see how they fare.

I expect Dixie to be much improved this season with losing only one senior, and though Schreck is indeed a huge loss for them, experienced players like Karim, Shumate, and Trimpe should continue to improve.

Not sure about what Ryle has to offer in a supporting cast, but looking forward to seeing highly touted Vince Rankin's senior season.

Just like Ryle with a questionable supporting cast, we do know that Highlands has a seriously strong player in Ben Sisson.

And while I'm thinking perhaps only about the obvious talent that we can look forward to, almost every season some other players rise up to surprise us.

It's to be seen whether or not any of them will be of award winning calibre of the likes of Fredrick or Kunkel, but I fully expect another exciting season in the 9th with some fantastic talent.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fredrick was player of the year

Ruthsatz Coach of the Year

Ruthsatz on the verge of shattering lots of NKY records.....three trips in five years, six regionals pretty impressive.

Region wont be the same with out Fredrick, Kunkle, Mayer, Ruthsatz, Walter, Burries, Runyon, McNeil kids have been stables for three years in the Region

Do you even know what the records are before you say Ruthsatz is about to shatter lots of records? Great coach one of the best in the state. However we have seen better runs in the 9th region in the last 12 years.

Do you even know what the records are before you say Ruthsatz is about to shatter lots of records? Great coach one of the best in the state. However we have seen better runs in the 9th region in the last 12 years.

Holmes had a great run. Who else?

What coach has three trips to I’m five years to RUPP and averaged 30 wins over a five year period last 12 years. I’m a Covington guy and maybe I missed it. If I did I stand corrected. Sorry.

Welcome to BGP @balls03

I'm not too worried, but indeed that is a lot of talent that's graduating. While some years are stronger than others, inevitably they'll be some surprise upstarts and much improved players that keep things interesting and exciting in the 9th.

I'm already savoring another incredible CovCath team with the likes of Thelen, Fleek, Diskin and Mayer etc.., and I'm anticipating players like Beechwood's Scotty Draud to continue to amaze us with his awesome shooting.

Looking forward too to Cooper again being tough with players like Ty Houston and Blaine Walters, and eager also to see what I'm guessing to be a big significant role jump by Michael Spencer.

Newport should be pretty decent with Harding and his cast of other fine talent that are only juniors this season.

With word all season that St. Henry has some upcoming strong players in their pipeline, I can't wait to see how they fare.

I expect Dixie to be much improved this season with losing only one senior, and though Schreck is indeed a huge loss for them, experienced players like Karim, Shumate, and Trimpe should continue to improve.

Not sure about what Ryle has to offer in a supporting cast, but looking forward to seeing highly touted Vince Rankin's senior season.

Just like Ryle with a questionable supporting cast, we do know that Highlands has a seriously strong player in Ben Sisson.

And while I'm thinking perhaps only about the obvious talent that we can look forward to, almost every season some other players rise up to surprise us.

It's to be seen whether or not any of them will be of award winning calibre of the likes of Fredrick or Kunkel, but I fully expect another exciting season in the 9th with some fantastic talent.

I agree Covington Catholic will be the favorite by I think the region will be way way down. Thelen and Mayer will be beast and I love Green, Diesken, Davin on the JV team. Not sold on Beechwood and Draud shooting 30 percent and shooting 25 balls a game. I love Sullivan but the magic is over at Cooper Walters, Houston are a long way from Kunkle Runion. I will miss Fredrick Kunkle Runion Hall Mayer Walter Ruthsatz and all the BIG names the region had this season. Going to be way down.

I agree Covington Catholic will be the favorite by I think the region will be way way down. Thelen and Mayer will be beast and I love Green, Diesken, Davin on the JV team. Not sold on Beechwood and Draud shooting 30 percent and shooting 25 balls a game. I love Sullivan but the magic is over at Cooper Walters, Houston are a long way from Kunkle Runion. I will miss Fredrick Kunkle Runion Hall Mayer Walter Ruthsatz and all the BIG names the region had this season. Going to be way down.

Time will tell. I believe the battle continues between CCH and Cooper. Mayer and Thelen will definitely be hard to handle but Sully will get it figured out. If Hampton Centers and Pearson can step up to the challenge it should be fun.

Time will tell. I believe the battle continues between CCH and Cooper. Mayer and Thelen will definitely be hard to handle but Sully will get it figured out. If Hampton Centers and Pearson can step up to the challenge it should be fun.

Of coarse along with Baker Spencer Walters and Houston

I hear what you're saying, and next season will likely be down as you say, but so very often maturity spurts in various players will make people stop and take notice. It generally happens to some degree every season without fail.

Draud for example is merely a freshman, and while already pretty impressive as things stand, I'm seeing a refinement to happen with him over the next few years that will have his name being echoed throughout the state. Just from 8th grade to 9th there's already been an obvious leap in his skill set, and I only expect to see this continue with him. Mark my word that talk of D1 will be circulating a ton for him by the time he is a junior where I'm confident that his game will be fully developed.

Ty Houston didn't seem to get too much attention this season, but the dude is so incredibly strong for his age, and I only see his role next season becoming huge for the Jags. He'll then be free to settle into his game and really show what he's worth, which I believe to be a ton.

Walters and Spencer showed a ton of potential, and with the experience they gained this season along with even more maturity I think they too will come up huge for Cooper, and I completely disagree... the magic is nowhere near over with Sullivan and Co. as they'll again be giving CovCath a run for their money, write it down. Careful with that view through those blue tinted glasses, as the Colonels will not be the only big kids on the block.

While full of experienced talent lead by a very mature Harding, and no offense to Coach Snapp, I see Newport repeating with a very fine season, but hope they can reel it in a bit and exhibit more strategy versus a chaotic track meet because while it works well if they gain a nice lead, it's not terribly effective in closer affairs where they need more tools in their bag to pull out the W.

Rating the top three, I'd say CovCath, Cooper, Newport, and again just like this season the rest of the top 10 is a crap shoot, but with that said, there's still very fine talent on the horizon even on teams that won't be nearly strong enough to have a major impact.

Weather or not these maturity spurts will prove to be so incredible enough to give us the likes of another Fredrick or Kunkel is to be seen, and while it very possibly won't, there will certainly be some names yet to cross our lips to remind us that the 9th Region is alive and well. Great talent is likely to show up in all kinds of places, yet of course full blown solid teams is a whole different story, and with that again I'm fairly certain that will be completely in the hands of CovCath and Cooper.

Holmes had a great run. Who else?

What coach has three trips to I’m five years to RUPP and averaged 30 wins over a five year period last 12 years. I’m a Covington guy and maybe I missed it. If I did I stand corrected. Sorry.

Holmes made it to Rupp four times in a five year period from 2005 to 2009. 2005 lost in 1st round by 2 to the state runner up. 2007 lost in the semi finals to the State Champions. 2008 lost in the State Championship Game to Mason County. 2009 won the State Championship. So 4 Rupp appearances in 5 years, and 3 straight years of at least semi final appearances, with two straight final appearances.

What CovCath has done is great, and possibly the 2nd best run in NKY history. However I commented because you posted he is about to shatter records with their third appearance in 5 years. So I am just pointing out that isn't even the best run in NKY in the last 13 years. Which is why I asked if you even knew what the record was before talking about shattering records. People seem to forget that great run Holmes had, which truly hasn't been seen before in this area or probably even state wide. While CovCath is great, that is still going to be hard to top that five year run. There might have been a run even better than what Holmes had even longer ago. I am just pointing out you don't even have to go that far at all in recent memory to find a better run than CovCath's currently.

Holmes made it to Rupp four times in a five year period from 2005 to 2009. 2005 lost in 1st round by 2 to the state runner up. 2007 lost in the semi finals to the State Champions. 2008 lost in the State Championship Game to Mason County. 2009 won the State Championship. So 4 Rupp appearances in 5 years, and 3 straight years of at least semi final appearances, with two straight final appearances.

What CovCath has done is great, and possibly the 2nd best run in NKY history. However I commented because you posted he is about to shatter records with their third appearance in 5 years. So I am just pointing out that isn't even the best run in NKY in the last 13 years. Which is why I asked if you even knew what the record was before talking about shattering records. People seem to forget that great run Holmes had, which truly hasn't been seen before in this area or probably even state wide. While CovCath is great, that is still going to be hard to top that five year run. There might have been a run even better than what Holmes had even longer ago. I am just pointing out you don't even have to go that far at all in recent memory to find a better run than CovCath's currently.

Very impressive thanks coach. My point is Ruthsatz is averaging around 30 wins a year will be favored for region I would think after seeing the ninth region this year and lack of talent next couple years. But you are correct that Holmes run was is super impressive. Probably why everyone says the Holmes job is a gold mine lots of talent year in year out. Thanks for pointing out. Was Henley the coach during that run. I was always impressed with him as a coach.

Very impressive thanks coach. My point is Ruthsatz is averaging around 30 wins a year will be favored for region I would think after seeing the ninth region this year and lack of talent next couple years. But you are correct that Holmes run was is super impressive. Probably why everyone says the Holmes job is a gold mine lots of talent year in year out. Thanks for pointing out. Was Henley the coach during that run. I was always impressed with him as a coach.

Yes he was. I believe he left after they won the state title. Also no doubt Ruthsatz is a great coach, and CovCath definitely is in great shape for years to come still. However I believe there was a thread started 4 years ago talking about CovCath having a dynasty never seen before going into these last 5 years. Yet before this year, they weren't able to get out of the 9th region the last two years prior. So you just never know what can happen in a single elimination tournament. CovCath should be favorite most likely the next few years in the 9th. However you never know until it happens. Which is what made Holmes run so impressive.

With that said with the draw CovCath has this year in the Sweet 16. They have a great shot at bringing home another title.

I hear what you're saying, and next season will likely be down as you say, but so very often maturity spurts in various players will make people stop and take notice. It generally happens to some degree every season without fail.

Draud for example is merely a freshman, and while already pretty impressive as things stand, I'm seeing a refinement to happen with him over the next few years that will have his name being echoed throughout the state. Just from 8th grade to 9th there's already been an obvious leap in his skill set, and I only expect to see this continue with him. Mark my word that talk of D1 will be circulating a ton for him by the time he is a junior where I'm confident that his game will be fully developed.

Ty Houston didn't seem to get too much attention this season, but the dude is so incredibly strong for his age, and I only see his role next season becoming huge for the Jags. He'll then be free to settle into his game and really show what he's worth, which I believe to be a ton.

Walters and Spencer showed a ton of potential, and with the experience they gained this season along with even more maturity I think they too will come up huge for Cooper, and I completely disagree... the magic is nowhere near over with Sullivan and Co. as they'll again be giving CovCath a run for their money, write it down. Careful with that view through those blue tinted glasses, as the Colonels will not be the only big kids on the block.

While full of experienced talent lead by a very mature Harding, and no offense to Coach Snapp, I see Newport repeating with a very fine season, but hope they can reel it in a bit and exhibit more strategy versus a chaotic track meet because while it works well if they gain a nice lead, it's not terribly effective in closer affairs where they need more tools in their bag to pull out the W.

Rating the top three, I'd say CovCath, Cooper, Newport, and again just like this season the rest of the top 10 is a crap shoot, but with that said, there's still very fine talent on the horizon even on teams that won't be nearly strong enough to have a major impact.

Weather or not these maturity spurts will prove to be so incredible enough to give us the likes of another Fredrick or Kunkel is to be seen, and while it very possibly won't, there will certainly be some names yet to cross our lips to remind us that the 9th Region is alive and well. Great talent is likely to show up in all kinds of places, yet of course full blown solid teams is a whole different story, and with that again I'm fairly certain that will be completely in the hands of CovCath and Cooper.

I appreciate your opinions. I just don’t see it. Draud plays for lowly Beechwood sits in corner and jacks balls. I watched him have turnover after turnover in many games and he can not dribble Best freshmen in NKY and it’s not even close is Kelly Niece. Kid has a big time game who can read screens, score, defend, rebound. Draud living off Daddy’s name won’t make it to D1 just jacking balls and trying to score points. My opinion. Spencer and Houston will have to get a lot better. Of course they looked okay playing with Kunkle where night in and not out every defense was trying to stop Kunkle, Runion, McNeil. I’m not touting the Colonels and their arrogance rubs me wrong at times. I just see more talent with the best coach in Park Hills. Six straight regional finals beat one in my book.

Houston looked worse at Cooper than he did at Holy Cross not sure that was a smart move. Ryan Schrand would get my vote for Coach of the Year along with Ruthsatz. Schrand for losing Houston and having a better year than he would with him and Ruthsatz for the incredible schedule they played and games they won is worthy.

CCH will continue to dominate the 9th next year.

The only dfference is that they wont have a player averaging more than 16 a game.

Instead they will win playing team ball and could have 4 or 5 players average around 10. This is exactly how they have gone undefeated in JV the last 2 years.

Thelen, Maher, Fleek, Greene, Disken, and Davin are all capable of putting up 15 to 20 on a given night.

I agree that Newport, Cooper, Dixie, and Beechwood will be the contenders.