Newport Central Catholic 61 Highlands 59

I was not at the game but it sounds like HHS bigs played well. I had heard that the last shot was too early and did not touch rim and questionable distance. Question did HHS have any timeouts left? As far as newcath not playing well. I stated this was not a typical NCC season if you look at the past few. In fact the entire 9th with the exception of two teams is way down. Newport and Boone had some talent but they were Dow Jonesers. Obviously by Boone’s early exit. The good thing was some real nice early games! I am glad to hear an electric atmosphere and that both teams left it on the court. Congrats to HHS seniors as they move forward to future endeavors. Congrats to NCC as they move forward.

Not to hijack the thread, but looking ahead to next year, when CovCath and Cooper are not elite, the 9th is really going to look down, from a statewide perspective, but very competitive within the region. It will be very difficult to assess the 9th next year. Probably a good topic for a thread of its own in a few weeks...

I was not at the game but it sounds like HHS bigs played well. I had heard that the last shot was too early and did not touch rim and questionable distance. Question did HHS have any timeouts left? As far as newcath not playing well. I stated this was not a typical NCC season if you look at the past few. In fact the entire 9th with the exception of two teams is way down. Newport and Boone had some talent but they were Dow Jonesers. Obviously by Boone’s early exit. The good thing was some real nice early games! I am glad to hear an electric atmosphere and that both teams left it on the court. Congrats to HHS seniors as they move forward to future endeavors. Congrats to NCC as they move forward.

Last shot was too "late". Highlands did have a timeout left. For my money, I would have liked to have Rob Gabbard in the game for the last 11 seconds and that is nothing against Sam Vinson. Gabbard has a knack for getting to the rim and that is what Highlands needed at that time. Drive to the basket and hope for an and 1 and if it is missed, perhaps Sisson or Gulley could rebound the miss and tie it up. There could always be second guessing on the last play, but there was no second guessing that Highlands and NCC played their guts out the entire game. It just so happens that the Breds scored 2 more points and won the game.

In retrospect, I think Highlands had a timeout and my guess is that Kevin wishes he would have taken it. Highlands really played well and did a good job attacking the boards and getting second chance points all night; however, with just 13 seconds Highlands doesn't have a kid who can consistently create a quality shot (like Hall can for NCC), which makes the situation challenging. Kevin might have should have taken the TO and tried to draw something up. Also give credit to NCC's press, which made Highlands work all night including that last 13 seconds.

Lukens had really nice game for the Breds hitting hook shots and medium range jumpers. Good mobility for the big kid too.

Wow, did NCC play poorly or has Highlands improve that much.

Highlands played very well and had a very low % of missed shots. NCC missed a lot of shots when going to the basket with the bigs and didn't get a lot of calls there way. But both teams left it all on the court and easily could have gone the other way.

I've been in a similiar situation; that is with a time out in my pocket. I'd almost rather have two or none than only have one.

Do I let the other coach prep his defense or do I want the defense playing live? Have we practiced this situation enough?

Tough decision even for the top dog.

I've been in a similiar situation; that is with a time out in my pocket. I'd almost rather have two or none than only have one.

Do I let the other coach prep his defense or do I want the defense playing live? Have we practiced this situation enough?

Tough decision even for the top dog.

I can live with the decision not to call a timeout, however I think the personnel could have been a little different. I would have taken Vinson off the ball, inserted Gabbard back into the game and told him take the ball to the hole. He is the one guy on the roster that could get to the rim. If he could get the ball up at the basket and misses you have a chance for a rebound with either Sisson or Gulley. I would have put Vinson and Schoellman on the wings and if the drive is stopped I kick to either of these guys for a clean look from the outside.

I realize that this leaves Starkey out of the picture at the end, but I think this is the five that I wanted on the floor based upon what had transpired in the game up to that point.