Cardinals 3 Mets 1

So Jr is okay in not sprinting when he thinks he is out, like Pujols did last night? Or is it, it's okay to not hustle as long as you really end up getting out.

As far as going to 3B, we will never know. He was at first when the ball was dropped. Sprinting he could have been 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to 2B. Who knows. Runner at 3rd with one out is much different than runner at 2nd.

Earlier you said he couldn't have gotten to third, now you're not sure...

Which is it? :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier you said he couldn't have gotten to third, now you're not sure...

Which is it? :D

I have been posting in the P & R thread to long and waffle on my position.:D

The baseball expert McCarver said he couldn't. I don't know. But he wasn't running hard/hustling and Jr is ripped for that all the time.

They should have used a different hitter and bunted.
I don't ever like to second guess coaches, believe me but with 1 man on and down 2 runs, I see not bunting but with runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs and down 2 runs....I bunt. I thought the situation was perfect but, oh well.

That may be why, no MLB team has asked me to manage also, because I don't know what I'm doing.

I think having Floyd bat was the right call, a bunt maybe on the first pitch, after that, let 'em swing, if anything that's what the Mets did all year. That's why I was so baffled by Beltran's looking at the season ending pitch. I hope he enjoyed it's beauty :irked:

>...and I bowled terrible last night to boot.

The one thing impressive about the Cardinals victory over the Mets is that they have gotten, AT BEST, very little production from Pujols. I believe he had 1 HR and 1 RBI for the series.

I also love how the Cardinals manufacture runs including the first one of the game. To me, that's baseball.

I think having Floyd bat was the right call, a bunt maybe on the first pitch, after that, let 'em swing, if anything that's what the Mets did all year. That's why I was so baffled by Beltran's looking at the season ending pitch. I hope he enjoyed it's beauty :irked:

>...and I bowled terrible last night to boot.

Respect your opinion but in a win or go home game, you have to get the tying runners in scoring position. They may have played that way during the season but never been in an elimination setting, in those 162 either.

Nothing productive occurs, as a result of a K. Advance the runners, field was wet, rain was falling and perhaps as Rolen said, someone may hit the bull in the stands....then again, they could have bunted in a DP.

I'm a fundamental style coach, get 'em over and find a way to get 'em in.

The one thing impressive about the Cardinals victory over the Mets is that they have gotten, AT BEST, very little production from Pujols. I believe he had 1 HR and 1 RBI for the series.
Part of that can be attributed to lack of production in front and behind Pujols, so therefore he had to chase the "pitchers pitch". Combined, with the injury they discussed in this right leg.

Mets pitched him well and Pujols, also swung at a lot of bad pitches.

What Beltran did was silly. He in no way should have left that bat on his shoulder. It's simple fundamentals on 2 strikes protect the plate, I mean especially since your season depends and the world series is riding on it. I laughed after I seen him strike out and if I was Randolph that would have been the sickest feeling ever. I bet a lot of the players in the dugout and the players on the basepaths were upset because of Beltran not even taking a protecting swing. Congrats to the Cards...

Part of that can be attributed to lack of production in front and behind Pujols, so therefore he had to chase the "pitchers pitch". Combined, with the injury they discussed in this right leg.

Mets pitched him well and Pujols, also swung at a lot of bad pitches.

And with all of that, the Cardinals still won. That is amazing to me.

I don't ever like to second guess coaches, believe me but with 1 man on and down 2 runs, I see not bunting but with runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs and down 2 runs....I bunt. I thought the situation was perfect but, oh well.

That may be why, no MLB team has asked me to manage also, because I don't know what I'm doing.

I would've done the same as you. Get the runners over. However, you've gotta respect Randolph's call. He was going for the win by putting Floyd in. He wasn't going for the tie. How often do you see a manager do that? He put himself in the position to be the goat or hero with that move.

I would've done the same as you. Get the runners over. However, you've gotta respect Randolph's call. He was going for the win by putting Floyd in. He wasn't going for the tie. How often do you see a manager do that? He put himself in the position to be the goat or hero with that move.
I'm with you and like the aggressive nature in most instances during regular season play but in the win or go home situations, more managerial decisions are necessary.

I like Randolph a lot and think he's done an outstanding job, plus he's forgot more baseball, than I know. I hesitated about even mentioning bunting but wanted to see what other BGP'ers thought.

If Floyd hits one, he's a genius. How many run scoring situations, to both teams get out of last night. One of the best playoff games, I can remember and excellent series.

And with all of that, the Cardinals still won. That is amazing to me.
Team concept and others stepped up. Both starting pitchers, were excellent last night.

IMO, his message to his team last night when they had 2 on and no outs was go play baseball. Go do what you do and win this. It took some of the pressure off the players. By bunting in that situation, he's putting a load of pressure on the next two or three hitters to get them in. After the game, the scrutiny (sp??) would be put on the players that couldn't get them in. However, the scrutiny has been placed on the manager. The players don't have to live with not getting those guys in.

If I were the manager, there's no question that I'm bunting in that situation. It just makes sense to get those two runs in. However, as a fan of the game, I loved his call.

IMO, his message to his team last night when they had 2 on and no outs was go play baseball. Go do what you do and win this. It took some of the pressure off the players. By bunting in that situation, he's putting a load of pressure on the next two or three hitters to get them in. After the game, the scrutiny (sp??) would be put on the players that couldn't get them in. However, the scrutiny has been placed on the manager. The players don't have to live with not getting those guys in.

If I were the manager, there's no question that I'm bunting in that situation. It just makes sense to get those two runs in. However, as a fan of the game, I loved his call.

Pressure, isn't there pressure to get them in anyway? it is Game 7 of the NLCS. You have to bunt there. Then the Cards probably walk Reyes and you have LoDuca up with bases loaded and 1 out.