Paying For College: How do folks do it these days?

Colonels_Wear_Blue

Do other schools have an incentive program for legacies?

She implied they did. UK gives out of state legacies whose parents are life members of the Alumni association discounted tuition so that if the students grades are good enough drops it to instate tuition before any scholarships. TMC gives 500-1000 off tuition. I don't remember the specifics of other schools. My general impression is that UK is more worried about recruiting outside the state and even country to give more impressive diversity stats and are starting to realize they are losing alot of the top in state kids. At my daughter's high school's awards night we had kids turning down MIT and Harvard for UL because of full rides. We had Governor's scholars going to NKU and UL on full rides. Only one kid accepted a scholarship to UK. They are way too stingy I guess because students will come regardless of price

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She implied they did. UK gives out of state legacies whose parents are life members of the Alumni association discounted tuition so that if the students grades are good enough drops it to instate tuition before any scholarships. TMC gives 500-1000 off tuition. I don't remember the specifics of other schools. My general impression is that UK is more worried about recruiting outside the state and even country to give more impressive diversity stats and are starting to realize they are losing alot of the top in state kids. At my daughter's high school's awards night we had kids turning down MIT and Harvard for UL because of full rides. We had Governor's scholars going to NKU and UL on full rides. Only one kid accepted a scholarship to UK. They are way too stingy I guess because students will come regardless of price

Well the one thing UK has done that really ticked me off is they raised the requirement to get the GSP scholarship from 28 to 31. So I’m glad I went to school there when I did because I only got a 30. I think that could play a part in losing some of the top talent as well. But I think you’re right, all things equal UK would rather have the out of state student than the in state one. UL is a really good school as well though especially if you want to go into engineering and can get into the speed school which if someone can get into MIT I’m sure they got into the speed school. I don’t think there is a doubt that UL and the directional schools are capitalizing on UK not showing enough love to in state students.

Other may disagree but I don’t think all degrees are created equal. With regards to Centre, it is the outlier IMO when it comes to liberal arts type school. I would have gone to Centre in a heartbeat if I didn’t get my GSP scholarship from UK. It’s a fantastic institution.

Absolutely correct. With my Bellarmine vs. NKU example, I've no doubt that there are certain degrees that may hold more weight if they were conferred from Bellarmine than if they were from NKU, but I'd say there are definitely others that don't - like a BSN, for example.

I don't disagree with the premise you're getting at. Is there really an advantage to going and getting a nursing degree from Bellarmine University at $41,800 annually when you can get the same degree at NKU for $9,360? Sure, Bellarmine is a great college, but will you see much (if any) difference in pay if you apply for a nursing position with a BSN from Bellarmine versus a BSN from NKU? Doubtful.

I just think choosing Centre as the school to make an example of isn't necessarily the best choice for your argument :)

That's a fair point. And one that definitely crossed my mind. However, in all my dealings with Bellarmine, I don't think anyone is paying full price to go. It's not easy to get in, and if you've done your job in high school, the scholarships they award, get the price down to what you would pay at most other schools, like UK, UL, EKU etc. And my son has already been exposed to a wide network of grads in high places before even starting there. The cost vs value argument can be argued almost anywhere. But there are lots of systems and programs in place at Bellarmine that will be very helpful upon graduation. And at least in our case, the final cost of Bellarmine is actually going to be cheaper for my son than going to NKU. I know this sounds like a Bellarmine ad, but what it comes down to, is you really have to do your homework and put a lot of thought into college choice. But I wouldn't dismiss any college based simply on the window sticker price.

I've seen plenty of successful folks come from NKU. I think it's a great choice for many and am thankful that option is available and so accessible for this area.

I agree. It really is a great option for a large percentage of students in NKY. I know for example in Grant County they have an NKU center where you can stay at home and work while also completing most of you first 2 years of college in Williamstown. This is a fantastic option to help save cost and then when you need to go to the main campus a lot of classes can be taken M/W or T/Th so you theoretically only be on campus two days a week. In NKY we really are lucky to have a school like NKU in our area that is so open to commuters and have classes that can be taken off campus.

Yup, pretty much was this way when my son went to UK. Couldn't believe that we could not get more money.

Youngest brother got a 35 on his ACT and was valedictorian in HS. Think he got maybe $2K a year from UK. Still ended up going there, but it's downright embarrassing how little that school gives out in scholarship money.

Youngest brother got a 35 on his ACT and was valedictorian in HS. Think he got maybe $2K a year from UK. Still ended up going there, but it's downright embarrassing how little that school gives out in scholarship money.

I would have told UK to shove it. I don’t care how much I wanted to go there that’s just insane.

Yes that is. My daughter got more money from UofL but of course my son did not want to go there. UK was his dream. It was a struggle for us but both got their degrees in 4 years.

Well the one thing UK has done that really ticked me off is they raised the requirement to get the GSP scholarship from 28 to 31. So I’m glad I went to school there when I did because I only got a 30. I think that could play a part in losing some of the top talent as well. But I think you’re right, all things equal UK would rather have the out of state student than the in state one. UL is a really good school as well though especially if you want to go into engineering and can get into the speed school which if someone can get into MIT I’m sure they got into the speed school. I don’t think there is a doubt that UL and the directional schools are capitalizing on UK not showing enough love to in state students.

Isn't the UK GSP Scholarship for Tuition Only or does it pay more? I think some of the state schools will give more than just tuition with GSP, but I'm not sure.