Is NKYFL Disbanding Their Senior Division?

NKYPrepSportsFan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard they live in the Beechwood District now but a Grandfather Rule allows them to play in Hebron...

:idunno:

If they live in Beechwood school district and are playing middle school football, I don't see why they wouldn't play for the Beechwood middle school team and get themselves more squarely in the sites the guys coaching at Beechwood HS.

:idunno:

If they live in Beechwood school district and are playing middle school football, I don't see why they wouldn't play for the Beechwood middle school team and get themselves more squarely in the sites the guys coaching at Beechwood HS.

My understanding was they were not sure they would attend their district high school or Beechwood. I guess that decision has been made now.

No offense to the team's in the NKMSAA. The leaque competition is not very consistent. Also is mostly all small school kids. The other issue is the kids that play in that leaque are not allowedbto participate in the KY middleschool all star tryouts or state functions. The kids that want to try out for that stuff get snuffed because the small schools of nky don't want to compete with the large schools. Every team should be in the state brackets and play for a state championship.

No offense to the team's in the NKMSAA. The leaque competition is not very consistent. Also is mostly all small school kids. The other issue is the kids that play in that leaque are not allowedbto participate in the KY middleschool all star tryouts or state functions. The kids that want to try out for that stuff get snuffed because the small schools of nky don't want to compete with the large schools. Every team should be in the state brackets and play for a state championship.

That is not really accurate. The NKMSAA is split into big schools and little schools and then a medium division, there is some cross over games. I think the competition inside of the league itself is actually very competitive. Now if you want to compare the league as a whole vs the rest of the state, thats a different discussion.

Yes there are divisions set up for the championship however you still have teams like Campbell county playing Ludlow and Newport. Teams like Beechwood playing Campbell county and Walton. Granite Beechwood would have smoked them or did but still not not set up in divisions until the playoffs. Being a Boone county guy would like to see the 6a teams in middle school start to play the team's they would play through Highschool. That makes teams like Beechwood get stronger throughout their years which is why they compete so well. Hurts teams like Conner and Campbell because they grow up playing smaller school teams and when they get into leaque play they are not ready. Just my Opinion

One other interesting fact about NKMSAA is each team has to submit their defense to the leaque before the the season starts. Totally takes away an extension of the game.

I’m not sure why this bothers so many. It’s not nearly as restrictive as it sounds. Basically what’s restricted is using multiple fronts. You can still shift/shade, and mix up looks and coverages in the secondary. I’m not sure at this level (or at the high school level) why you’d want to run multiple defensive fronts with different techniques and gap responsibilities anyway. With limited practice time at the middle school level, it’s better to pick a scheme, and get really good at it. Ideally you’ll run the base packages your high school runs to teach the fundamentals and prepare the kids for high school ball.

Yes there are divisions set up for the championship however you still have teams like Campbell county playing Ludlow and Newport. Teams like Beechwood playing Campbell county and Walton. Granite Beechwood would have smoked them or did but still not not set up in divisions until the playoffs. Being a Boone county guy would like to see the 6a teams in middle school start to play the team's they would play through Highschool. That makes teams like Beechwood get stronger throughout their years which is why they compete so well. Hurts teams like Conner and Campbell because they grow up playing smaller school teams and when they get into leaque play they are not ready. Just my Opinion

Maybe. But middle school football is generally a poor predictor of high school success. A good example is this years group of Cov Cath seniors didn’t win the NKMSAA as 8th graders. That team had two losses to Woodland (that feeds Scott).

For the most part, large schools don’t play the really small schools (Ludlow, Newport, Bracken, etc) in cross division games. They will pick up 2-3 games against schools in the medium school division. The rest are against other large schools.

I’m not sure why this bothers so many. It’s not nearly as restrictive as it sounds. Basically what’s restricted is using multiple fronts. You can still shift/shade, and mix up looks and coverages in the secondary. I’m not sure at this level (or at the high school level) why you’d want to run multiple defensive fronts with different techniques and gap responsibilities anyway. With limited practice time at the middle school level, it’s better to pick a scheme, and get really good at it. Ideally you’ll run the base packages your high school runs to teach the fundamentals and prepare the kids for high school ball.

They also allow you to implement short yardage packages as well