Is NKYFL Disbanding Their Senior Division?

NKYPrepSportsFan

I know one of the sticking points the Union Raiders, and Fort Thomas has had preventing them from joining the NKMSAA is that they would not limit team members to players just from their own school district.

That's an interesting point, in light of the NKYFL's decision to fine any team that chose to scrimmage one of Cov Cath's Colonel Youth Football teams. So the NKYFL will allow their teams to schedule the Fort Thomas teams, the Union Raiders, Union Jaguars and Lil Rebels, all of which allow for "out of district" players to compete on their teams, but then they cite CFY's "out of district" roster as the reason for levying a $1,000 fine against any NKYFL team that scrimmages a CFY team.

I'm calling that sour grapes on the part of NKYFL - no more, no less.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an interesting point, in light of the NKYFL's decision to fine any team that chose to scrimmage one of Cov Cath's Colonel Youth Football teams. So the NKYFL will allow their teams to schedule the Fort Thomas teams, the Union Raiders, Union Jaguars and Lil Rebels, all of which allow for "out of district" players to compete on their teams, but then they cite CFY's "out of district" roster as the reason for levying a $1,000 fine against any NKYFL team that scrimmages a CFY team.

I'm calling that sour grapes on the part of NKYFL - no more, no less.

I think you've misunderstood.....I'm referring to them joining the NKMSAA (which is school based) not the NKYFL. I know Union applied at least a couple times a few years ago, and there were several discussions had with Highlands. In both cases, I think it came down to them not restricting their teams to only kids from Gray Middle School (in Unions case) and Highlands MS. Which is understandable, since the NKMSAA is school based.

I think you've misunderstood.....I'm referring to them joining the NKMSAA (which is school based) not the NKYFL. I know Union applied at least a couple times a few years ago, and there were several discussions had with Highlands. In both cases, I think it came down to them not restricting their teams to only kids from Gray Middle School (in Unions case) and Highlands MS. Which is understandable, since the NKMSAA is school based.

No, I followed. I just hadn't realized that the Union Jaguars and Union Raiders were allowing out of district kids - thus keeping them out of NKMSAA competition.

To that point, though, the NKYFL (separate from the NKMSAA) has been saying "no playing CYF because they allow out of district kids", while they still allow their teams to play other teams that DO allow out of district kids - Ft. Thomas, Union Raiders, Union Jaguars.

Will all of the rising 7th graders have a place to play if there is no SR division? What about the kids from Newport, Bellevue, Dayton? Or the kids that will eventually go to NewCath or Brossart?

I would think that will likely create an uptick in numbers for the FTJFL. That, or we may see some new middle school teams being formed in Campbell County.

No, I followed. I just hadn't realized that the Union Jaguars and Union Raiders were allowing out of district kids - thus keeping them out of NKMSAA competition.

To that point, though, the NKYFL (separate from the NKMSAA) has been saying "no playing CYF because they allow out of district kids", while they still allow their teams to play other teams that DO allow out of district kids - Ft. Thomas, Union Raiders, Union Jaguars.

Got it. Again, this goes back a few years (at least 4-5 years ago), and is only (at least to my knowledge) relative to Union and Highlands. I don't know that Cooper, Boone, and Conner ever applied to the NKMSAA, and I certainly can't speak for whether any of those teams are currently allowing out of district kids to play for them. They very well may not be now since they are eligible to play in the Middle School state championships.

Will all of the rising 7th graders have a place to play if there is no SR division? What about the kids from Newport, Bellevue, Dayton? Or the kids that will eventually go to NewCath or Brossart?

Newport already has a team in the NKMSAA (they won the small school championship last year). Brossart has a team as well. I've been hearing for a while now that New Cath is working on bringing back their middle school team which was dropped a few years ago. That may happen much sooner than later with no NKYFL team to play for. I also have heard Bellevue has at least been looking at joining the NKMSAA. Not sure about Dayton. But all the other kids who played Senior Level ball for the NKYFL have a school team they can play for. Bengal Tigers will play for Holmes or Woodland depending on where they go to school. The Red Devils can play for Campbell County (or New Cath if New Cath brings a team back). Fort Thomas and the Boone County teams are now in the Norsemen League. Everybody should have a landing spot somewhere.

I'm pretty sure these aren't school based teams (although boundaries are likely based on school districts and they are basically feeder teams to each school). I know one of the sticking points the Union Raiders, and Fort Thomas has had preventing them from joining the NKMSAA is that they would not limit team members to players just from their own school district.

I wish Boone County Schools would just endorse middle school football. It would be great for all of Northern KY to have all the teams in one league.

By KHSAA rules, they are school sponsored teams.

They are not allowing out of district kids on their teams, their teams are just formed based on the high school districts, not the individual middle school districts.

I keep hearing the Highlands will have their own middle school team this year, with just highlands middle school students on it.

I've been hearing that too. I had heard it was close to a done deal back in October, but I'm not so sure now.

I've been hearing that too. I had heard it was close to a done deal back in October, but I'm not so sure now.

What about kids that say play for Conner Cougars or NKY Bandits but go to school at Beechwood? Where are those kids suppose to be really playing?