Is NKYFL Disbanding Their Senior Division?

NKYPrepSportsFan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true that there will not be an NKYFL Senior division in 2018?

It’s been heading that way for quite a few years. I’ve been hearing that several more schools will be adding football and playing in the NKMSAA next year, as well as several other teams joining other leagues across the river.

What exactly is everyone hearing? I haven't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Anyone paying attention the landscape of youth football in NKY could have/should have seen this coming. The NKYFL top brass has done a commendable job considering all of the obstacles against them in maintaining Senior ball. Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do when - as is happening on all levels - there are simply more options for kids.

That, combined with more kids not playing football at the lower levels, means that the league - again, not hard to see as many as 5 years back - is going to have to change accordingly. I feel like they've done that really because the top leadership has done so effectively. Not sure what that looks like in the future however.

Junior level is 5th and 6th grade. Most Middle School teams are 7th and 8th. If you are in 6th, some smaller schools will allow you to play on 7th grade team. I don't think the Junior division is in danger at all. I do think the Senior division has no chance to compete with school teams.

Junior level is 5th and 6th grade. Most Middle School teams are 7th and 8th. If you are in 6th, some smaller schools will allow you to play on 7th grade team. I don't think the Junior division is in danger at all. I do think the Senior division has no chance to compete with school teams.

Junior teams should be fine some 7th graders can play Junior level.

Junior teams should be fine some 7th graders can play Junior level.

With the middle school league now having a 7th grade division (and some schools have a JV schedule as well) I think it would be a mistake to let your child play play NKYFL Junior ball as a 7th grader. Playing against 5th/6th graders is not good prep for a kid who will have to play against 8th graders the following year.

With at least 7 schools having a 6th/7th team, (and likely more this year) I think you’ll see more kids make the jump to middle school ball simply out of convenience and cost. Middle school football is 1/4 the cost, and most games are not played on Saturdays.

I don’t think the junior division will be in any trouble, but some teams will feel a pinch.

With the middle school league now having a 7th grade division (and some schools have a JV schedule as well) I think it would be a mistake to let your child play play NKYFL Junior ball as a 7th grader. Playing against 5th/6th graders is not good prep for a kid who will have to play against 8th graders the following year.

Playing against the same age kids.