Report: State is Shutting Down Cordia High School

Wireman

Just wondering... How many players on the basketball roster are "from" Knott County? I know they had some out of town folks when Roderick was there.

That's an easy bash on Cordia that folks in the 14th Region love to make, but they never seem to complain about the larger schools in the region that often take in a lot of transfers, simply because those larger schools have a tradition of success that Cordia never had until the past decade.

That's Cordia's biggest sin is that they never were any good until recently, and that caught people's eye. And they had 6-7-8-9-10 transfers, whereas the Perry Centrals of the world would only have 2-3.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an easy bash on Cordia that folks in the 14th Region love to make, but they never seem to complain about the larger schools in the region that often take in a lot of transfers, simply because those larger schools have a tradition of success that Cordia never had until the past decade.

That's Cordia's biggest sin is that they never were any good until recently, and that caught people's eye. And they had 6-7-8-9-10 transfers, whereas the Perry Centrals of the world would only have 2-3.

Jim, you're my guy, but 6-10 transfers is a pretty big deal :lol2: I mean, that's an entire team pretty much.

Jim, you're my guy, but 6-10 transfers is a pretty big deal :lol2: I mean, that's an entire team pretty much.

I get that, but what is the threshold for outrage? Some schools have 2-3 every year. It only became a big deal because Cordia had so many at once and it upset the longstanding power balance in the 14th. Why is it OK for a Perry Central to have some, and not someone else? Would people complain more about the traditional powers in the 14th if that yearly number reached 4?

It surely wouldn't be because of other, more ethnic reasons, would it? :D

I get that, but what is the threshold for outrage? Some schools have 2-3 every year. It only became a big deal because Cordia had so many at once and it upset the longstanding power balance in the 14th. Why is it OK for a Perry Central to have some, and not someone else? Would people complain more about the traditional powers in the 14th if that yearly number reached 4?

I don't know about 4 but when a team has 12 players from other states and countries, it raises red flags. It doesn't necessarily bother me, but I can understand why people in that area get upset.

I don't know about 4 but when a team has 12 players from other states and countries, it raises red flags. It doesn't necessarily bother me, but I can understand why people in that area get upset.

I'd take them a lot more seriously if they complained more about the year-in and year-out stuff that goes on in their region. But since it's traditional powers doing it, everybody shuts up.

Also, you quoted me before I added a tag-on to the end of my post, that may explain other things about the Cordia outrage. :lol2:

I'd take them a lot more seriously if they complained more about the year-in and year-out stuff that goes on in their region. But since it's traditional powers doing it, everybody shuts up.

Also, you quoted me before I added a tag-on to the end of my post, that may explain other things about the Cordia outrage. :lol2:

I can't speak for others but I'll say this as far as me only: I would feel the same way if it was Knott Central, Perry Central or Wolfe County. Having a transfer or two is one thing. Having a whole new team is something different.

I can't speak for others but I'll say this as far as me only: I would feel the same way if it was Knott Central, Perry Central or Wolfe County. Having a transfer or two is one thing. Having a whole new team is something different.

I've spent some time in the 14th Region area through my travels in this game, and I'm betting that the whole concept of "new blood in the game" is what bothers a lot of folks as much as anything. They're OK with the Perry Centrals of their world doing their thing because that's how it's always been, but when talented, monochromatic teams of a shade they're not used to from a school they're not used to show up, it's an issue. Hazard tends to get a pass on this one.

My guess is KDE did not want to shut them down, but had little choice with building safety issues beyond the norm. I imagine many were not reported in teh article.

First, one that is puzzling, is schools do not have to have generators. Where I work, we do not. I am the Safe Schools coordiantor and they iare on our list to purchase. They are a wise idea, but not a mandate.

My guess is that insurance will not cover what is wrong and it probably costs more to fix than Knott County has in bonding power or what they believe is fiscally responsible. M

Another guess is that KDE required things get fixed, Knott County tried temporarily, it didn't work and KDE said move them. I doubt there is any conspiracy, just things tried that didn't pan out and/or were too costly. Basketball was probably not even near the top of KDE's nor Knott Countiy's list. Student safety and a psoitive learning facility probably was.