Report: State is Shutting Down Cordia High School

Wireman

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you let the kids at Cordia play at Knott Central this year? Do you have 30 kids on the Knott Central basketball team? Do you cut kids at Knott Central who have been on team all year to make room for the better Cordia players? I just don't see how you do this mid-season...

I’m hearing that they’re going to move the elementary to Carr Creek and the high school students and teachers to old Hindman High School. I think their team already uses the gym there, so now they will also use the school building. They’re going to keep the team intact and allow them to finish their season.

The word I heard today was they are planning to move them to the old hindman high school and finish the year out as cordia. They found the damage about 2 weeks before school started and a contractor did a temporary fix and it passed inspection. Now they say it is un fit. This is all about the charter school issue. KDE does not want charter schools in Kentucky. If the school has been approved to have school in since the beginning of school then why has it all of a sudden changed? The animal droppings they we we referring to were either Bat of mouse in the attic. Under the AC unit. As far as the sprinkler system and the back up generator cordia is the only school in the county that has either. I don't see that as being a issue the fire alarm works!

Thats not legal.........

If the school BUILDING closes, but not the school, then it would be fine. For this year, it isn't any different than a school moving into a new building at Christmas. Now, what Knott County Schools does with Cordia beyond this year is the big question.

I'm more curious about the long-term implications. Knott has lost hundreds of students over the last 30 years. Cordia probably only has 70-80 in high school, so there has to be plenty of room at Knott.

If the school BUILDING closes, but not the school, then it would be fine. For this year, it isn't any different than a school moving into a new building at Christmas. Now, what Knott County Schools does with Cordia beyond this year is the big question.

That is correct....but that is not what was being said. As long as the students are moved into a new building and are not attending a current new school they can call themselves Cordia.

Heck you might even be able to get away with a "school within a school" if you do it correctly.....