College Football Conference Discussion

Jumper_Dad

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't comparing the two. Just wondering why it matters when you play your "automatic wins"?

It matters because to me because I hate the fact that the second to last week of the season has turned into cupcake Saturday. There is no reason to play those games that late in the season. Nobody likes it. If the SEC and ACC would just play 9 conference games like everyone else this wouldn’t be an issue because they wouldn’t play these cupcake teams. The way it is set up now, 9/10 times the SEC and ACC teams build 3 automatic wins into their schedule through out of conference. Usually 1 Power 5, then 3 schools they should beat pretty easily. That doesn’t put all power 5 teams on an even playing field.

If you don’t play every other team in your conference there will always be imbalance in conference schedules. Let’s just do away with conferences if they mean nothing.

I like conferences, I just think there are too many teams in the conferences right now. No reason for there to be 14 teams in the Big 10 and SEC. It’s just ridiculous.

I like conferences, I just think there are too many teams in the conferences right now. No reason for there to be 14 teams in the Big 10 and SEC. It’s just ridiculous.

Just like everything else money drives this boat and if I’m not mistaken the SEC started it. They used a rule designed for DII where there were conferences with large numbers that allowed a championship game ironically enough to decide who would get automatic bids to the championship. They wanted the money a championship game would generate.

It matters because to me because I hate the fact that the second to last week of the season has turned into cupcake Saturday. There is no reason to play those games that late in the season. Nobody likes it. If the SEC and ACC would just play 9 conference games like everyone else this wouldn’t be an issue because they wouldn’t play these cupcake teams. The way it is set up now, 9/10 times the SEC and ACC teams build 3 automatic wins into their schedule through out of conference. Usually 1 Power 5, then 3 schools they should beat pretty easily. That doesn’t put all power 5 teams on an even playing field.
Wait a minute, so the other conferences have chosen to play 9 conference games so the SEC and ACC should change what they have always done? The Big 10 didn't start playing 9 until last year. And it's not like they weren't playing 3 schools they should beat easily then either. If it's that big of a deal go back to playing 8 conference games.

Wait a minute, so the other conferences have chosen to play 9 conference games so the SEC and ACC should change what they have always done? The Big 10 didn't start playing 9 until last year. And it's not like they weren't playing 3 schools they should beat easily then either. If it's that big of a deal go back to playing 8 conference games.
Why? Isn’t college football for the fans? 9 conference games is better for the fans. But if all of the conference played 8 games it would be better than 3 playing 9 and 2 playing 8.

Why? Isn’t college football for the fans? 9 conference games is better for the fans. But if all of the conference played 8 games it would be better than 3 playing 9 and 2 playing 8.

If the fans of the ACC and SEC demand they play 9 they will make the change. If the only ones crying about it are Big 10 fans because they don't think its fair, nothing will change. If you don't like it take it up with your conference. It's not like the Big 10 has always done this, it's been like 2 years. And you still play those gimme opponents

If the fans of the ACC and SEC demand they play 9 they will make the change. If the only ones crying about it are Big 10 fans because they don't think its fair, nothing will change. If you don't like it take it up with your conference. It's not like the Big 10 has always done this, it's been like 2 years. And you still play those gimme opponents
We now play 2 gimme opponents instead of 3. If we are going to have this pointless conversation about conferences then we should at least have every conference on an equal playing field.

In fairness, the Big 10 just changed it so that their member schools can no longer schedule FCS opponents. Then they amended to allow a FCS opponent if they have 4 home conference games.

We now play 2 gimme opponents instead of 3. If we are going to have this pointless conversation about conferences then we should at least have every conference on an equal playing field.
And until there are either no conferences or a single set of rules that all have to abide by, there is no one to blame but the conference and team officials.

And until there are either no conferences or a single set of rules that all have to abide by, there is no one to blame but the conference and team officials.
I don’t disagree with that. My overall theme was it’s silly to compare conferences when all conferences aren’t created equal.

The conferences can still be compared, you just have to dig deeper and throw out the gimme opponents when comparing. With computers there are so many stats out there it will make your head spin.

As to the scheduling of FCS opponents, I don't like it. Those are games I never watch no matter how well I might like the teams, either one. However, it does allow a team to rest and get their players healthy, it gives money to the FCS teams, and it allows fans of a team who never get the opportunity to see them live the ability to pick up a ticket without breaking the bank.