College Football Conference Discussion

Jumper_Dad

Agreed. IMO that is one reason the SEC was a down this year. Aside from 3-4, the coaches as a whole were terrible.

Which is why the Big 10 has really gained steam. Outside of Saban, Smart, and Mullen there aren’t any coaches in the SEC this past year that could hold a candle to guys like Paul Chryst and Mark Dantonio. With Scott Frost joining the league Jim Harbaugh is probably the 5th or 6th best coach in the conference.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are going to have a serious conversation about conferences then each conference needs to play the same # of conference games. I wouldn’t be opposed to a rule prohibiting non- power 5 opponents after week 4. Kudos to the SEC for being smarter than the ACC and having dog crap Saturday the second to last week of the season, but that needs to stop if any serious conversation and comparisons are going to take place. I mean how can you talk about teams in bowl games and above .500 records when you have an additional built in win every year over other conferences?

If we are going to have a serious conversation about conferences then each conference needs to play the same # of conference games. I wouldn’t be opposed to a rule prohibiting non- power 5 opponents after week 4. Kudos to the SEC for being smarter than the ACC and having dog crap Saturday the second to last week of the season, but that needs to stop if any serious conversation and comparisons are going to take place. I mean how can you talk about teams in bowl games and above .500 records when you have an additional built in win every year over other conferences?

Well Ohio St played Illinois the week before Michigan, isn't that like having a week off? :lol2:

Well Ohio St played Illinois the week before Michigan, isn't that like having a week off? :lol2:
Ohio State doesn’t have a choice to play Illinois, but we both know that’s it’s different than playing Mercer or ULM the week before the Iron Bowl.

So play 11 conference games and get rid of the conference title games?

Just no divisions and the best 2 teams play for the title like the Big 12 is doing. This year it wouldn’t have mattered because Bama would have still been 3rd in the SEC, but last year for instance the Ohio State/ Penn State debate would have been settled in the Big 10 Championship game. Why should the Big 10 West and SEC East champs get a free pass every year?