A gift so great.... I never thought it was even possible

ChiefSmoke

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 8.39.16 PM.png

My Dad's first game as a head football coach was leading the Boyle County Rebels at Greensburg HS versus the Dragons, August 29th, 1969. I was 4 years old and made the trip. The Rebels did not win a game in 1967 or 1968.

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 8.39.27 PM.png

The Rebels defeated the Dragons that night 14-6. I was so excited I couldn't sleep. Only 4 years old, my mom let me stay up until my Dad got home. I will always remember that game and that night.

The 1969 team went on to finish the season 9-1-1, a huge turn around from going winless two seasons in a row. It was one of the happiest times for my Dad and our family.

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 8.39.37 PM.png

Tonight, Lee Glasscock, a senior on that 1969 team, gave me a dvd copy of that game. I never dreamed I could have a video of my Dad's first game as a head coach. Now I have it thanks to Lee.

2018 is off to a great start.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65083[/ATTACH]

My Dad's first game as a head football coach was leading the Boyle County Rebels at Greensburg HS versus the Dragons, August 29th, 1969. I was 4 years old and made the trip. The Rebels did not win a game in 1967 or 1968.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65084[/ATTACH]

The Rebels defeated the Dragons that night 14-6. I was so excited I couldn't sleep. Only 4 years old, my mom let me stay up until my Dad got home. I will always remember that game and that night.

The 1969 team went on to finish the season 9-1-1, a huge turn around from going winless two seasons in a row. It was one of the happiest times for my Dad and our family.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65085[/ATTACH]

Tonight, Lee Glasscock, a senior on that 1969 team, gave me a dvd copy of that game. I never dreamed I could have a video of my Dad's first game as a head coach. Now I have it thanks to Lee.

2018 is off to a great start.

Great stuff.

I'm sure I've probably told you before Chief but at one time Boyle County had a ton of old 16 mm games on film. When I left Kentucky in 1991 I went through them and cataloged them. Gave them to the Library but they probably were thrown out. I hope not. I think the coaches were going to throw them away when they found the huge box in storage cages.

I remember the first Boyle vs Danville and second one were in the box.

1965 ended in a 0-0 tie.

1966 ended in a 19-0 win for Boyle.

I'm sure there had to be some from the John Buchanan era in there.

I'm sure I've probably told you before Chief but at one time Boyle County had a ton of old 16 mm games on film. When I left Kentucky in 1991 I went through them and cataloged them. Gave them to the Library but they probably were thrown out. I hope not. I think the coaches were going to throw them away when they found the huge box in storage cages.

I remember the first Boyle vs Danville and second one were in the box.

1965 ended in a 0-0 tie.

1966 ended in a 19-0 win for Boyle.

I'm sure there had to be some from the John Buchanan era in there.

That is interesting and really cool. I bug Jeff Hester and Chuck Smith too much. I will email Mike Settles on this one. Lol

If the 82 Boyle- Mercer video is in there, will have to destroy. Would hate to let the truth interfere with how I remember that game.

That is interesting and really cool. I bug Jeff Hester and Chuck Smith too much. I will email Mike Settles on this one. Lol

If the 82 Boyle- Mercer video is in there, will have to destroy. Would hate to let the truth interfere with how I remember that game. ��

I dubbed onto VHS the games they had from '77 to '80. It was interesting that Ed showed us a lot of film but I didn't find a whole lot of them there.

'77 was Danville (Chris Jones) and Corbin

'78 was Frankfort, Danville and Henry Clay

'79 was Somerset and Danville (but quit before the final 3 minutes when Boyle went up, Danville went up and then we won on a 35 yard hail mary to end the game)

'80 was Washington County, Anderson County, Wayne County, Somerset.