***SPOILER THREAD*** Star Wars: The Last Jedi

GrantNKY

I don't have a vote for the motion picture academy, a lot of those things I don't really care all that much about. I also believe there to be a lot of character development amongst the main characters, especially in Attack of The Clones and Revenge of The Sith. I don't understand why the battledroids get dinged all of the time, why does everyone care about them being humanized? Isn't the whole point for them not to he humanized?

My point is that the characters that you are supposed to care about are only slightly more relatable than the automatons they are fighting. When the characters you are supposed to care about are that bland you have done something wrong. Especially if you are trying to make an epic story.

In the original trilogy you had all sorts of side characters, even with minor dialogue, that helped to put a face on those soldiers fighting for the Rebellion. In these movies you don't have that same level of connection with the characters, you don't feel a sense of stakes because you don't see individuals dying. You see CGI Jedi, CGI Clone troopers and CGI battledroids fighting on CGI landscapes. There is no personality to any of it, there is no character to the characters.

On the other hand if you watch the Clone Wars series it does just the opposite. It humanizes and characterizes the Jedi and Clone troopers in meaningful ways. In fact had the prequels been done like the series I would have loved them.

As it is if I want the experience of the prequels I can play a video game, with potentially better writing.

That is not the only issue with the prequels, if you really want an itemized list as to what is wrong I would be happy to go into it when I have time. Although if you don't mind spending time watching things you could just watch the RedLetterMedia Mr. Plinket reviews of the prequels. He hits most of the same points that I would.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that the characters that you are supposed to care about are only slightly more relatable than the automatons they are fighting. When the characters you are supposed to care about are that bland you have done something wrong. Especially if you are trying to make an epic story.

In the original trilogy you had all sorts of side characters, even with minor dialogue, that helped to put a face on those soldiers fighting for the Rebellion. In these movies you don't have that same level of connection with the characters, you don't feel a sense of stakes because you don't see individuals dying. You see CGI Jedi, CGI Clone troopers and CGI battledroids fighting on CGI landscapes. There is no personality to any of it, there is no character to the characters.

On the other hand if you watch the Clone Wars series it does just the opposite. It humanizes and characterizes the Jedi and Clone troopers in meaningful ways. In fact had the prequels been done like the series I would have loved them.

As it is if I want the experience of the prequels I can play a video game, with potentially better writing.

That is not the only issue with the prequels, if you really want an itemized list as to what is wrong I would be happy to go into it when I have time. Although if you don't mind spending time watching things you could just watch the RedLetterMedia Mr. Plinket reviews of the prequels. He hits most of the same points that I would.

I don't believe Anakin, Obi-Wan, or Padme were bland characters. Like I said I'm not a professional movie reviewer. I was a kid when Phantom Menace came out. I wanted to see lightsaber battles and cool looking Jedi. That's what I cared about then. Maybe its nostalgia for me, but I can't watch those movies and not enjoy them just because other people say I'm not supposed to. Sure, the originals are better and as I grew older I learned to appreciate the original trilogy for the masterpiece it is, but why does that mean I have to dislike the prequels? Also for my money give me Revenge of the Sith over Return of the Jedi.

I don't believe Anakin, Obi-Wan, or Padme were bland characters. Like I said I'm not a professional movie reviewer. I was a kid when Phantom Menace came out. I wanted to see lightsaber battles and cool looking Jedi. That's what I cared about then. Maybe its nostalgia for me, but I can't watch those movies and not enjoy them just because other people say I'm not supposed to. Sure, the originals are better and as I grew older I learned to appreciate the original trilogy for the masterpiece it is, but why does that mean I have to dislike the prequels? Also for my money give me Revenge of the Sith over Return of the Jedi.

Did you watch any of the dialogue between Anakin and Padme?

Obi-Wan was moderately tolerable, but he was fighting a losing battle with bad writing and being in front of a green screen.

I am not a professional reviewer either, but I expect a movie from a franchise that I loved to be competent and capable.

And I will disagree with you on revenge of the sith, it just feels better than the other prequels because something actually happens. It's like saying "I like herpes, it's so much better than AIDS." Just because one is less terrible than the other doesn't mean it isn't still an STD.

Did you watch any of the dialogue between Anakin and Padme?

Obi-Wan was moderately tolerable, but he was fighting a losing battle with bad writing and being in front of a green screen.

I am not a professional reviewer either, but I expect a movie from a franchise that I loved to be competent and capable.

And I will disagree with you on revenge of the sith, it just feels better than the other prequels because something actually happens. It's like saying "I like herpes, it's so much better than AIDS." Just because one is less terrible than the other doesn't mean it isn't still an STD.

Haha again I'm not always watching movies for scintillating and deep dialogue. I also think Anakin acting like a bumbling teenager who is scared to speak to hot girl actually humanizes him. But either way, I don't think the movies are bad. I will also disagree strongly about ROFTS. It's a great movie. My list changes frequently, but currently I would rank the Star Wars movies as follows:

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. Rogue One

4. Revenge Of The Sith

5. The Force Awakens

6. Return of the Jedi

7. The Last Jedi

8. Attack of the clones

9. Phantom Menace

Haha again I'm not always watching movies for scintillating and deep dialogue. I also think Anakin acting like a bumbling teenager who is scared to speak to hot girl actually humanizes him. But either way, I don't think the movies are bad. I will also disagree strongly about ROFTS. It's a great movie. My list changes frequently, but currently I would rank the Star Wars movies as follows:

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. Rogue One

4. Revenge Of The Sith

5. The Force Awakens

6. Return of the Jedi

7. The Last Jedi

8. Attack of the clones

9. Phantom Menace

I would agree with your characterization of Anakin if Padme's dialogue wasn't equally bad. Hers was horrendous in that same film and she was barely even in Sith.

And no, the dialogue wasn't much better but I will cede the fact that Sith was the most watchable of the prequels.

1) ESB

2) ANH

3) ROTJ

4) R1

5) TFA

6) ROTS

7) ATOC

8) TPM

I am omitting TLJ until I view it again. I would never judge a SW flick based on a single viewing.

Agreed

I haven’t seen the newest movie but my neighbor saw it Friday and told me in his opinion it was one of the best of the series. He gave it 5 stars. Called it a Classic. So I suppose I’ll find out in a few days.

As far as the discussion on here about the prequels, I agree that the dialogue and acting were not top notch, and the acting part probably not the actors fault. I mean, “I don’t like sand. It’s course and grainy.” Who wrote that, someone with a Lifetime Movies background?

And the youngster who played Anakin said his lines as if he were reading them. I hate to talk about a child (which he isn’t these days, lol) but I thought he was a bad choice for an important role.

I thought this was a thread about the latest movie? :lol2:

Finally got to see it today, I enjoyed it much more than Awakens or Rouge One.

1. I think the story about Rey's parents may be a lie, if so we'll find our in the next movie.

2. Kylo killing Smoke the way he did was awesome.

3. Rey and Kyle fighting back to back on the same side was great.

4. I really liked Rose.

5. I didn't think Luke disolving into the Force was only obvious about a minute before it happened. I thought he would die, but I expected Kylo to do it.

6. Disney has already said they would not kill Leia off, they'll just write her out of the story...so I wasn't expecting her to die.

7. Over all I rank this one very high on the list.

I thought this was a thread about the latest movie? :lol2:

Finally got to see it today, I enjoyed it much more than Awakens or Rouge One.

1. I think the story about Rey's parents may be a lie, if so we'll find our in the next movie.

2. Kylo killing Smoke the way he did was awesome.

3. Rey and Kyle fighting back to back on the same side was great.

4. I really liked Rose.

5. I didn't think Luke disolving into the Force was only obvious about a minute before it happened. I thought he would die, but I expected Kylo to do it.

6. Disney has already said they would not kill Leia off, they'll just write her out of the story...so I wasn't expecting her to die.

7. Over all I rank this one very high on the list.

More than Rogue One? Wow.

Yes, easily. If not for the Vader scenes I would have put that movie at the bottom of the list. I just never liked the characters...none of them ever grew on me. When they all died I was fine with it.

I loved Rogue One. Maybe its because I had low expectations for it, but I thought it was fantastically done. The Vader scenes were also extremely good. There wasn't a single scene in TLJ that was as good as those scenes were.

I loved Rogue One. Maybe its because I had low expectations for it, but I thought it was fantastically done. The Vader scenes were also extremely good. There wasn't a single scene in TLJ that was as good as those scenes were.

If you are talking about the Vader Scenes I agree, those are a few of the best of the entire series.

As for the rest of Rouge One, I guess we'll just have to disagree.