Hats off to Trinity

Sinbad 74

And that is the problem. Whenever anything is as successful as Trinity football there is a natural desire to let that tail wag the dog. That can't ever happen. The focus has to be on the real mission of the school. There is nothing inherently wrong with travelling a long distance to play games, unless it starts to interfere with more important things. A schedule that necessitates athletes missing class is not a good idea. A schedule that reduces revenue, even if the costs are picked up by someone else is not a good idea. I am not naïve. I know that there are compromises that are needed sometimes. At some point that could even include long distance games, but I think we should recognize those games as a last resort.

Wouldn't a long distance trip over Labor Day weekend (no missing class) be a huge experience for the players, parents, and alumni? Many of the kids probably have never had a long distance trip let a lone been on a plane. There are many positive opportunities that could come out of it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't a long distance trip over Labor Day weekend (no missing class) be a huge experience for the players, parents, and alumni? Many of the kids probably have never had a long distance trip let a lone been on a plane. There are many positive opportunities that could come out of it.

It might well be, but a home game with a crowd of 7,000 generates $50,000 or $60,000 in revenue. Even if someone covers the cost of the trip, the lost revenue is big.

I may be mistaken, but hasn't the basketball team traveled to Florida in the past? I know that the cost is probably much greater for football than basketball, but if the basketball team is able to travel down to Florida, is cost the only reason for the football team being unable to travel?

It might well be, but a home game with a crowd of 7,000 generates $50,000 or $60,000 in revenue. Even if someone covers the cost of the trip, the lost revenue is big.

A football cross country trip could persuade 3 or 4 students into playing football and coming to Trinity. That's $44,000 extra in tuition.

A football cross country trip could persuade 3 or 4 students into playing football and coming to Trinity. That's $44,000 extra in tuition.

Or it could turn away parents who can barely make tuition as it is even with financial aid since they would not be able to afford the trip cross country. Not everyone who goes to Trinity has the kind of money where they can just go cross country. Many of us seem to be forgetting that Trinity was a blue collar kind of school for most of its existence, I for one do not want to stray too far from that.

Or it could turn away parents who can barely make tuition as it is even with financial aid since they would not be able to afford the trip cross country. Not everyone who goes to Trinity has the kind of money where they can just go cross country. Many of us seem to be forgetting that Trinity was a blue collar kind of school for most of its existence, I for one do not want to stray too far from that.

It's not mandated that parents have to go to all the games. Not all do. How could a 1 Saturday trip turn a parent off from sending their child to Trinity for 4 years?

It's not mandated that parents have to go to all the games. Not all do. How could a 1 Saturday trip turn a parent off from sending their child to Trinity for 4 years?

It may not just be one, and the thought of missing any of their children's games would be horrible to many parents. I am just throwing out a possible counterpoint on this. Let's remember we are a school and community before we are a football team.

It may not just be one, and the thought of missing any of their children's games would be horrible to many parents. I am just throwing out a possible counterpoint on this. Let's remember we are a school and community before we are a football team.

I'm really confused how the community is brought into the idea of the football team traveling. We do not have any examples to go off of so we'll never know.

I'm really confused how the community is brought into the idea of the football team traveling. We do not have any examples to go off of so we'll never know.

How is the community brought into it? Well the fact that a large percentage of the community may not be able to make the trip. Come on I know they taught you better than that.

How is the community brought into it? Well the fact that a large percentage of the community may not be able to make the trip. Come on I know they taught you better than that.

Roughly a 1000 made it to Warren Central this year. What's the difference, it's still a road game.

So the school is just an attachment to the football team for you, got it.

Still very confused how you are coming to these conclusions to what I am saying, and bringing up talking points that sway from the point. Regardless I'm done talking about it.

I may be mistaken, but hasn't the basketball team traveled to Florida in the past? I know that the cost is probably much greater for football than basketball, but if the basketball team is able to travel down to Florida, is cost the only reason for the football team being unable to travel?
Most of their travel expenses are covered by game sponsors-

Wow...I thought this topic was dead...clearly, I was wrong. Not the first time, won't be the last.

It seems I was off in thinking there is no interest in this from a portion of Trinity faithful. Glad to see there is. I think it would be an amazing opportunity for the kids and families involved. The positives far outweigh the negatives, and it's not even really debatable.

For total transparency, I have personally asked this question of my own alma mater several times and have yet to be really satisfied with the reasoning. Will continue to probe until I get a better answer.

Trinity to Alabama to play Hoover? Georgia to Colquitt Co.? Come on...how AWESOME would that be?! No missed school, just a chance for these boys to bond together in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to represent all that is good about Trinity in front of a whole other community.

Makes to much sense NOT to do!

-CardinalsFan

Still very confused how you are coming to these conclusions to what I am saying, and bringing up talking points that sway from the point. Regardless I'm done talking about it.

Don't be done talking about it!! That's the point of the board. To have meaningful, thoughtful and respectful dialog on topics you are interested in. Clearly you are interested in this topic...so keep talking!

I mean, for the love of God, what else do Trinity fans have to talk about this week, or next, or next, or next....

-CardinalsFan