Covington Catholic 30 Bishop Chatard (IN) 7

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, as always, to @Colonels_Wear_Blue for fantastic updates.

Shocked at the margin of this game, especially given how close they played Winton Woods last week.

Winton Woods, LaSalle and this team are all about the same and are good but not elite. Check out what St. X did to LaSalle tonight.

I thought Chatard looked like a good 3A or 4A team in KY but I think Belfry would beat them so not that good. Make no mistake CovCath is good but Chatard really blew the end of the first half and this should have been a 14-7 games with Chatard getting the ball to start second half.

As mentioned above CovCath has to stop with the penalties. The QB cleaned up a lot of 2nd and 20s but those can be a killer in the postseason. CovCath special teams played well. Kickoffs to the endzone when they wanted and punting was very good as was the coverage. Those things make really good teams into great teams.

Winton Woods, LaSalle and this team are all about the same and are good but not elite. Check out what St. X did to LaSalle tonight.

I thought Chatard looked like a good 3A or 4A team in KY but I think Belfry would beat them so not that good. Make no mistake CovCath is good but Chatard really blew the end of the first half and this should have been a 14-7 games with Chatard getting the ball to start second half.

As mentioned above CovCath has to stop with the penalties. The QB cleaned up a lot of 2nd and 20s but those can be a killer in the postseason. CovCath special teams played well. Kickoffs to the endzone when they wanted and punting was very good as was the coverage. Those things make really good teams into great teams.

Belfry would beat Chatard?

Belfry would beat Chatard?

Yes, they would. Chatard is a good middle size class team. They are not a Cathedral (when they have their stars) and the are not a GLC South team. They would be a good GCL North team and competitive with their better teams.

CovCath did not even play as well as they are capable of and still won by 30-7. The Chatard passing game in not that good and CovCath just missed several Pick 6 opportunities. The secondary for Chatard was very suspect and CovCath exposed them. The DL was probably their best asset and even then Mayer would scramble past them.

Yes, they would. Chatard is a good middle size class team. They are not a Cathedral (when they have their stars) and the are not a GLC South team. They would be a good GCL North team and competitive with their better teams.

CovCath did not even play as well as they are capable of and still won by 30-7. The Chatard passing game in not that good and CovCath just missed several Pick 6 opportunities. The secondary for Chatard was very suspect and CovCath exposed them. The DL was probably their best asset and even then Mayer would scramble past them.

I think you may be selling CovCath short in this assessment.

I think you may be selling CovCath short in this assessment.

How so? By saying if CovCath played as well as they are capable of and eliminated penalties they should have won by more?

Let's review. Cathedral with its stars 34 Chatard 14. Cathedral without its stars 23 Ryle 17 and 3 inches from winning on last play. Winton Woods 18 LaSalle 15 I think was the score. Winton Woods 28 Chatard 27.

Cincy St. X 35 LaSalle 0 four plays into the second quarter. Heck let's add in CovCath 49 Ryle 17 and it was not that close.

So CovCath clearly better than the competition tonight with not even their best effort.

We're getting off topic here, but no way Belfry beats Chatard without a solid passing game. Maybe Belfry has one (haven't seen them play this year), but I suspect the Pirates do not and would struggle with the Trojans.

We're getting off topic here, but no way Belfry beats Chatard without a solid passing game. Maybe Belfry has one (haven't seen them play this year), but I suspect the Pirates do not and would struggle with the Trojans.

Chatard is 3-5. They do play a tough schedule. They are not world-beaters and they are not a GCL South team who's last place winless in the GCL South team led Trinity by a good margin before losing 38-30.

They would be a competitive playoff team in KY Class 3A and most likely 4A but they would not be the favorite in either class. They obviously would have no chance in 5A or 6A and not so sure they would fare all that well in 2A this year.

We can agree to disagree. CCH is a animal that NKY haven't had in a decade. We will just agree to disagree. I assume you guys throw the forward

How so? By saying if CovCath played as well as they are capable of and eliminated penalties they should have won by more?

Let's review. Cathedral with its stars 34 Chatard 14. Cathedral without its stars 23 Ryle 17 and 3 inches from winning on last play. Winton Woods 18 LaSalle 15 I think was the score. Winton Woods 28 Chatard 27.

Cincy St. X 35 LaSalle 0 four plays into the second quarter. Heck let's add in CovCath 49 Ryle 17 and it was not that close.

So CovCath clearly better than the competition tonight with not even their best effort.

So CovCath clearly better than the competition tonight with not even their best play, but still manhandled them.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Repairing Quote

Thanks, as always, to @Colonels_Wear_Blue for fantastic updates.

Shocked at the margin of this game, especially given how close they played Winton Woods last week.

The key sequence in the game. End of the first half. Covington Catholic is leading 14-7 and Chatard has them stopped 4th and 2 at their own 45. There is about 25 seconds left and Cov Cath is lining up like they are going to go for it on 4th down, the clock is running. Chatard makes a substitution and as the player is running off the field, I think Chatard's coach was afraid CCH was going to snap the ball and catch them with too many men on the field, giving CCH the first down so he called time out with I believe 13 seconds to go. Coming out of the timeout, yes, CCH is going to go for it. They call a quick out pass which Mayer puts on the money - first down with 8 seconds to go at about the 50. The next play Mayer throws a bullet, on the money hitting his receiver in stride at the 5 yard line, TD with one second left in the half. Instead of it being 14-7 with CCH kicking off to Chatard, it is 21-7. That was the play of the game.

If Chatard's coach had not called time out, my guess is Eviston lets the clock run down to a couple seconds to go, then runs one play to try for the score. Or, Eviston may have let the clock just run out. I would be interested in hearing what Eviston was going to do if no timeout had been called by Chatard. If they let time run out, it is a 14-7 game at halftime and Chatard receives the second half kick down one score.

Final scores can sometimes be deceiving. CCH was in control the whole game, but they had to work for everything they got. The score slowly kept growing as the game went on. Several times when it looked like CCH might be stopped and have to punt, Mayer made big plays. They converted two 3rd and 16 plays. One of them was a scramble by Mayer where Chatard just could not catch him. AJ Mayer is one of the best - perhaps the best - high school QB I have ever seen.

Are you talking about that offense that 2 Which is 3 yards...and a cloud. Cooming football. Chatard would have heard a lot 3 and outs,