WOW...IS FORDHAM THE GOP'S BLUE DRESS?

The Dems re-elected Studds.

That takes away any claim they have to moral high ground.

And if as you say Foley was fired (I don't listen to Limbaugh but I'm glad to hear that you do) doesn't that further nail the hypocrisy claim that has been made against Democrats? You're digging yourself in deeper here.

Sorry to disappoint you, I don't listen to Rush and no, you want to tell us he resigned so he gets some value points when in fact Hastret discovered he was busted and got rid of him in a heart beat. He thought that was the end of it. Foley is no longer the issue. Its the cover up that gets ya. Like the one that got Nixon.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm now going to bed comfortable with the knowledge that DD will blindly follow the Democratic party line and completely ignore the fact that his party has a much worse record when it comes to dealing with the sexual indiscretions of it's members with pages.

I'm now going to bed comfortable with the knowledge that DD will blindly follow the Democratic party line and completely ignore the fact that his party has a much worse record when it comes to dealing with the sexual indiscretions of it's members with pages.

No your not. You're going to think about DD being a hard head and won't sleep a wink.

There are many reasons why the Republicans should not be in charge of the government, but the page scandal is not one of them. The question of how much the Republican leadership knew is still open and will resolve itself over the next few days or weeks. My gut tells me that Hastert used the same thought process as too many of the Catholic bishops. He elected to try to protect something he loves and feels does great good (in this case the Republican party) by covering up a problem. In doing so he failed to do his duty OR protect his party. That is just speculation on my part. We'll see.

With regard to Congressman Stubbs, there is a little selective memory at work here. In fact, the Stubbs case is an example of how the House leadership SHOULD handle such a case. When the Stubbs case first surfaced, Speaker O'Neil appointed a bipartisan committee to do an in-depth investigation with instructions to take it wherever it lead. The House voted a very strong censure motion that passed with overwhelming bipartisan support. Stubbs rejected the motion, even turning his back on the Speaker during the vote. He refused to resign. The VOTERS of his district continued to reelect him despite the scandal.

Someone posted that Foley was "fired" by Hastert. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The Speaker may have pressured him, but the Speaker doesn't have the power to "fire" a member of congress. From the news reports I have seen, it looks like Foley elected to resign as soon as the ABC story broke.

Someone posted that Foley was "fired" by Hastert. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The Speaker may have pressured him, but the Speaker doesn't have the power to "fire" a member of congress. From the news reports I have seen, it looks like Foley elected to resign as soon as the ABC story broke.

I agree completely. Hastert has no direct control over Foley and the only people who could have "fired" Foley were the voters. Also, Foley resigned so quickly that it is very doubtful that the Speaker or anybody else had time to pressure him.