Comparing Highlands and CovCath

jbwill2

I would assume that CCH will attempt (easier said than done) to make HHS win through the air. Stopping the run has worked our pretty well for CCH this season and Kramer will be a big challenge as well as not letting the qb run. IMO HHS cannot win without Kramer having a big game(unless CCH goes Watterson on them and commits a bunch of TOs).

The interesting question is how well will CCH's offense do against HHS' D.

Believe it or not this years Senior class at CCH beat the Bluebirds by 30 or more freshmen year. Now were talking about how Highlands is clearly better and will definitely win the 1st contest. What happened between freshmen year and now ? The only thing I can conclude is the coaching and the program. Highland's kid seem to dramatically improve as they move allong, not sure this can be said at CCH. If Bleser does not cut down on mistakes and start clicking with his receivers the offense will struggle dramatically against a quick Highlands D. Throw that in with the fact that at present Brent Buckley and Brandon Brown are sidelined with injuries and it could be a long game if played today. The Colonels have to get there guys healthy in the next few weeks(Furnish, Buckley, Brown, Wise, VanSant), they are just not very deap past their top 20 or so guys and if 4 or 5 of those are hurt or hobbled there in trouble.

Believe it or not this years Senior class at CCH beat the Bluebirds by 30 or more freshmen year. Now were talking about how Highlands is clearly better and will definitely win the 1st contest. What happened between freshmen year and now ? .

2 thoughts on the above:

I'm on record as saying that FROSH ball is not a definite indicator of future varsity success.

Secondly, if I'm not mistaken, HHS had quite a few early-season injuries that FROSH season.

2 thoughts on the above:

I'm on record as saying that FROSH ball is not a definite indicator of future varsity success.

Secondly, if I'm not mistaken, HHS had quite a few early-season injuries that FROSH season.

A kid by the name of Jordan Kramer being one.

Believe it or not this years Senior class at CCH beat the Bluebirds by 30 or more freshmen year. Now were talking about how Highlands is clearly better and will definitely win the 1st contest. What happened between freshmen year and now ? The only thing I can conclude is the coaching and the program. Highland's kid seem to dramatically improve as they move allong, not sure this can be said at CCH. If Bleser does not cut down on mistakes and start clicking with his receivers the offense will struggle dramatically against a quick Highlands D. Throw that in with the fact that at present Brent Buckley and Brandon Brown are sidelined with injuries and it could be a long game if played today. The Colonels have to get there guys healthy in the next few weeks(Furnish, Buckley, Brown, Wise, VanSant), they are just not very deap past their top 20 or so guys and if 4 or 5 of those are hurt or hobbled there in trouble.

Highlands has a lot of juniors and some sophomores on both sides of the ball to mix with their senior talent. I'd guess that throws the freshman level thing out the window. As they do most years, Highlands will play some good seniors, juniors, and sophomores on the varsity level.

I think Highlands has the better football team. CovCath is good, but not quite as good.

And I don't recall it being a 30 point win either. I don't remember the score, but I recall it being a fairly close and competitive game.

When someone asked what has happened between freshmen year and now as to why Highlands has seemingly improved more than CovCath, a whole lot of Highlands improvement is simply that the talent in the senior class at Highlands is made for running the ball. Kramer is a special talent and the senior offensive line is a pretty good. Put them together, and you run the ball. We do and we do it pretty well. [ Side bar: While I used to believe you had to run a balanced offense to be successful, I actually think we pass the ball too much! I'd love for the opposing d to put 11 in the box against us. How many 50 yd plus tds do you think Kramer would have if the entire d was up tight? He'd find a seam and be in the house before you knew it.]

When the Highlands seniors were frosh they threw the ball a lot (unsuccessfully I might add) because the varsity threw the ball alot and because Kramer was injured before the season began. Even when Kramer returned (after about the 5th game) we still threw the ball a lot. And they weren't high completion percentage passes we were trying either. But that's what the varsity was doing and Dale's philosophy, which I agree with, is that the frosh run the same offense as the varsity. It was an offense not fit for the talents of those kids however.

Plus, the junior and sophomore classes at Highlands are packed with talent and have really supplemented those areas that the senior class is weak in. I don't know how strong CovCath's junior and sophomore classes are, but if they are not as strong as those at Highlands, that also factors into what some perceive as greater improvement by Highlands than CovCath since the frosh year.