Prestonsburg vs. Belfry

oneijoe

There is no game with Ashland, it was a one year deal. But other than that, I think your opponents look right on.

Some games will be switched around to different weeks because of the new scheduling grid, though. I think right now we have one game to fill and we have weeks 5 and 10 to play with.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, by the district being broken up, the rivalry was, shall we say, administratively dissolved.

Belfry lost two district opponents in the new alignment. Guess which local rival stepped up and scheduled us already for 2007? Prestonsburg or Shelby Valley? :cool:

This assumes, of course, that Prestonsburg had some kind of onus to approach Belfry to schedule games...LOL

Prestonsburg is 2A this year. Prestonsburg remains 2A next year. Belfry is the school being re-assigned.

;)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can see some reasons why agreeing to a 2 year deal with SV might be a good idea.

First is they are a better team than in the past and there is reason to believe that SV is making the right comittments towards improving their program long-term. Examples: they wanted to keep Belfry; the installation of the turf; they hired a proven coach.

The gate should be good for both teams and the travel will be minimal. Big factors that help the bottom line.

It gives both teams another game on turf each year.

Belfry added a couple of good non district teams and are currently looking for one more. With only 4 district games, I can see them not wanting to overload their schedule in the first couple of years in a new class.

I can see it from a travel standpoint...I guess. Any chance the BOE had a hand in keeping the game??

From a competition standpoint..I just can't see it. I would much rather have a P-burg on the schedule....win or lose.

Have you heard who the other non-district foes will be next year?? Just curious.

Thanks, OJW

By the way,

...(long post)...

I feel that if Belfry doesn't take this game serious then there are some major flaws in thinking PBURG AT LEAST AN AVERAGE FIELD POSITION PAST THE 35 YARD LINE, NO MISSED CONVERSIONS.

Excellent analysis !! :thumb:

Prestonsburg's effort against Sheldon Clark a couple weeks ago was very pleasing to see. In that game, I had thought the game was the Cardinals to win/lose. It wasn't turnovers that cost SC the game (P-burg had 2, SC had 0), rather, it was the SC inability to score with fewer plays. Put another way, SC's rushing yds/attempt was low enough that it forced LONG drives to paydirt. The more plays required on a drive, the more chance penalties/def. stops will put a halt to it.

I mention this because it holds true this Friday, also. Thus, if Belfry can hold the ball 12 or more plays in their scoring drives without fumbling, holding, etc., -enough- the Pirates will have earned the win.

Prestonsburg does need to break some big plays (run or pass). P-burg's offense is built around putting its skill players in position to provide them, however. It's much more integral to the Blackcat offense (read: necessary) than the Pirate offense. (Surprisingly, though, Prestonsburg's offense was very conservative vs. SC week before last)

Another facet of the game that could come into play is each team's FG units. Coach D. will try for three on 4th and long (inside the opponent's 25 or so). Does Coach Haywood kick FG's in those situations ?

With all this said, I think the game will be determined by Prestonsburg ability, or inability, to move the football effectively on a veteran Belfry defense. If it can, Prestonsburg (other than having more scoring chances) will hold its own on field position keeping Belfry from playing on a short field with its patented ground attack.

All I can say is...if Prestonsburg's improvement continues as it has through the season in the trenches, we'll definately see a much more entertaining game than last year. :thumb:

Prediction:

(Prestonsburg with 4 or fewer drives covering at least 30 yds., or resulting in points)

Belfry 35

Prestonsburg 14

(Prestonsburg with 6 or more drives covering at least 30 yds., or resulting in points)

Belfry 14

Prestonsburg 21

Overall - Belfry by 14

I was. Perhaps incorrectly.

I for one would love to see this game continue. It is a better game to keep on the schedule for Belfry than Lawrence Co.

I'd like to see it continue, also. P-burg/Belfry has always been a hard fought, and just plain FUN game to watch.

:ylsuper:

Chico, whats the details on that?

Don't know all the details just yet, but I thought Belfry would stay on the sch. like in the years they were up in 3A(the Jonathan Wright QB days and Haywood going 4 wide,still can't forget that sight), and we still played.

I'm not sure on P'burg's sch. but they just have 3 dist. games so I'm interested to see who's added.

OneIJoe,

Go back and look at last years thread. The defensive gameplan you just said would work best was EXACTLY what I said last season!

Also, Belfry's D isn't really that "veteran." We returned Chapman, Steele, May, Burton, Kohari, and Sutherland. As far as I know, the other 5 are newcomers. Lots of Sophmores seeing significant time on D for Belfry.

Belfry has always been good but with Pburg they have seem to drop in intensity and have not been as good in the last 2 years I can think of. Belfry can easily take home the win as long as they dont overlook Prestonsburg. With keeping Valley on the schedule its a good idea since Valleys program is improving and the facilities are awesome. Next year Valley is going to be better and Valleys program is doing good this year with the prospects of going 6-4 or maybe even 7-3.

OneIJoe,

Go back and look at last years thread. The defensive gameplan you just said would work best was EXACTLY what I said last season!

Also, Belfry's D isn't really that "veteran." We returned Chapman, Steele, May, Burton, Kohari, and Sutherland. As far as I know, the other 5 are newcomers. Lots of Sophmores seeing significant time on D for Belfry.

I don't recall exactly (I'm not so young anymore..LOL).

Didn't you advocated P-burg dropping safeties (allowing Belfry an inside advantage when double-tight) to "contain" the Belfry runners ?

If so... I think this P-burg defense has the quickness to play in the box this year and not let big plays get away from them.

There's a HUGE difference between allowing 8-10 yds/rush (with dropping safeties) and allowing 3-5 yds/rush (stacking box to match offense's ability to put men in the hole). One gives you NO chance to win, while the other gives you a good opportunity if your offense has some success.