2017-18 Bow Season

Yeah, despite my intention of passing on does in hopes of a buck, I know on Sunday or Monday, if an antlerless deer steps broadside, I’ll let it fly.

With the exception last light you should be able to see on their head where the antlers were if they've dropped. That said, we don't normally see them really start dropping for a few more weeks. I've seen deer around here with antlers in late Feb. If they have good food sources it can help them to hold on to their antlers longer. I'm thinking about trying to get out this weekend at least once myself. I'm thinking about buying a new bow this year and I'd like to give my current bow one more chance.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had every intention of going out yesterday afternoon but just wussed out due to the cold. I guess that's a wrap for my 2017 season. I hope 2018 is shapes up better.

I sat from 10-6 yesterday. I saw one nice buck at 11, but other than that it was dead.

I climbed back into my stand this morning and based on the tracks in the snow, the deer threw a party last night.

You know, after watching the guy on kentucky afield successfully hunt a property in urban Louisville, I’m inspired to look for people willing. I’d be more than happy to help you in your campaign to save your Hostas next year!

Biggest buck I’ve seen in my life was just off exit 4 (the mall and main exit) off I24 in Paducah. Easily a 180 class buck.

Biggest buck I’ve seen in my life was just off exit 4 (the mall and main exit) off I24 in Paducah. Easily a 180 class buck.

I don’t doubt it! A couple of the biggest bucks I’ve seen were in my in-laws backyard. They were huge.

In fact, I might try convincing them to let me poke around with my bow next season.

Hey Thrillville , haven’t been on Bgp for a couple weeks , seen where you ask if I bowhunt turkeys .. I usually don’t have as much time to dedicate it all to bowhunting , so I usually try to feed some number 4s from my trusty old 20 gauge and get one on the ground early in the season and bowhunt a few days and if I don’t have any luck I’ll bring the ol shotgun back out and try to end it ... I have shot 5 long beards with my bow over the years but it’s tough unless you are in a blind ... I am a run and gun guy most of the time in the spring to just try to get it done ... and another thing that is in my mind I would rather throw a $2 shotgun shell at one instead of a $25 dollar arrow and broadhead combo ... that can get pretty expensive .. I have a totally different concept with deer hunting when it comes to the expense of it , that’s just my wierd way of doing it !!

Hey Thrillville , haven’t been on Bgp for a couple weeks , seen where you ask if I bowhunt turkeys .. I usually don’t have as much time to dedicate it all to bowhunting , so I usually try to feed some number 4s from my trusty old 20 gauge and get one on the ground early in the season and bowhunt a few days and if I don’t have any luck I’ll bring the ol shotgun back out and try to end it ... I have shot 5 long beards with my bow over the years but it’s tough unless you are in a blind ... I am a run and gun guy most of the time in the spring to just try to get it done ... and another thing that is in my mind I would rather throw a $2 shotgun shell at one instead of a $25 dollar arrow and broadhead combo ... that can get pretty expensive .. I have a totally different concept with deer hunting when it comes to the expense of it , that’s just my wierd way of doing it !!

That is the absolute truth! I lost two arrows shooting at turkeys this fall.

With how short the spring turkey season is, it makes sense to take to old shotgun. That’s probably what I’ll end up doing this year.