2017-18 Bow Season

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone want to hunt in my backyard. I think you deer hunters have it wrong with the game feeders. Just plant some hostas and they'll call all their friends to come have dinner. I must see 15 deer a day. Most are does but had this guy a couple days ago. I feel like I could hand feed them. They are definitely not shy.

[ATTACH]64273[/ATTACH][ATTACH]64274[/ATTACH]

I’ll be over this weekend. LOL.

I put corn out at the house, the deer eat it nightly. I have hostas plants less than 20 yards from the salt and corn. They never get touched.

Might as well give an update.

I sat until early afternoon again today. I had four does trickle in at about 930, and hung around for a what felt like an eternity. One finally came in range, I drew back, shot right under her. She kicked the arrow as she ran away and must have caught a piece of the broad head, because I found a blood spot as I was walking out later. I didn’t see blood anywhere else, and the feather fletching was clean, so I’m confident she’s fine. Plus, I saw her strolling down the ridge afterward and looked fine.

After that, I sat tight for a bit. Caught the urge to rattle, so I let it rip for about a minute. While I was going to town, a pretty nice 8 point came charging, and I mean charging in. I stopped and slipped the bag into my pocket and got my bow ready. He stopped on a dime about 25 yards away from where I was, and just stared in my direction, I guess looking for the brawling bucks. After a little bit, he actually started grazing, and came right at my tree... he was coming head on, so I figured I’d wait till he passed for the shot... he was within spitting distance, everything was going right.

Then his head snapped up, and I kid you not, we made eye contact. He took off like a bat out of hell, blowing up a storm.

It was probably the coolest experience I’ve had bow hunting, but it sucks hard coming up empty.

On the bright side, my story convinced my wife to work a compound bow into the budget for next year.

This morning I saw what I thought was a doe milling around behind me. I was watching for a few minutes until what was clearly a buck run at the deer. Turns out, they were both bucks, and actually squared up and spared for a few minutes.

Next thing I know, there’s two more bucks coming in. They milled around for a bit and started walking away. I hit the grunt tube a few times and they actually circled back.

For about a minute, I had 3 bucks within maybe 15 yards. I mean, all 3 could(should) have been dead to rights. I lined up at the closest, which was actually the biggest, drew back and sailed the arrow over his back. Two ran, but the one behind me started blowing. And they all went off.

None of them were big, a 6 and what looked like forks.

I’m hoping they didn’t really know what I was. The two actually stopped about 50 yards away, looked back, then walked off.