Bengals 53 Man Roster Projection

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either Hewitt or Cethan Carter will be on the 53 man roster. They need a dude who can block and not a flex TE who gets pushed around. One of those dudes virtually have to make the team, I give Hewitt the edge unless they want to save his $1.7 million salary.

We will see, but I don't see it if they really go spread. I like Hewitt a lot and his versatility but he is average at the three positions. He is good in the open type of blocker, very average between the tackles.

I will say, that Marvin going to a spread like offense is against his character. However, they do not have the o-line to pound the rock or protect the drop back, read the total field and hit the open guy. AD nearly got killed last year. It is only a matter of time if they do what they did last year, that he gets hurt.

We will see, but I don't see it if they really go spread. I like Hewitt a lot and his versatility but he is average at the three positions. He is good in the open type of blocker, very average between the tackles.

I will say, that Marvin going to a spread like offense is against his character. However, they do not have the o-line to pound the rock or protect the drop back, read the total field and hit the open guy. AD nearly got killed last year. It is only a matter of time if they do what they did last year, that he gets hurt.

I truly get what you are saying. However you say he is only average at those three spots. However what do you call the current backup TEs? I don't think you can call them anymore than average so far either. So if they all are average, it makes sense to keep the guy who is more versatile.

I honestly think Kroft will be the odd man out. I think Uzomah (sp.) Has more upside than Kroft, and Kroft will end up out.

I truly get what you are saying. However you say he is only average at those three spots. However what do you call the current backup TEs? I don't think you can call them anymore than average so far either. So if they all are average, it makes sense to keep the guy who is more versatile.

I honestly think Kroft will be the odd man out. I think Uzomah (sp.) Has more upside than Kroft, and Kroft will end up out.

They are all average at best. I just don't see them using the h-back or fullback at all.

I see the 5 linemen, AD, one back, Eifert, and three receivers most of the time, if not all. At times either no TE or RB and 4 Wr's. I think the key is what do they do with LaFell. Lewis loves dependable vets and really who doesn't. He kept Tate forever because of his dependability. LaFell is a better receiver than Tate, but no special team. If they really think that the rook is ready at WR then LaFell might go also, but I doubt it.

I see most of the time,

O-line

AD

Mixon/Gio

AJ/Boyd/Ross

Eifert

Just no room for Hewitt or maybe LaFell and one of the TE's

We are in complete agreement with how we think the Bengals offense will be ran. I agree it will be more of a spread. Dalton is better out of the spread, and that is a reason they really wanted Mixon, because he is a big back but also can move and fits the spread. Which is what killed Hill, because his best success was when they were under center in 2014, and he hasn't done well the last two years with them transitioning more to gun. So we are in agreement in the direction they are going on offense.

IMO they still are going to keep 3 guys who can at least play TE. Eifert is a given, I just don't think they will keep both Uzomah, and Kroft for the same reasons you just mentioned. They are going to spread teams out more, so useless to have 3 guys who ONLY play TE. I see them keeping Eifert and Uzomah, and Hewitt, because even though they are going to more spread. Lewis still likes the idea of having a guy who can block. Hewitt fills that Reggie Kelly mold, who Lewis loved so much. He was able to lineup as a TE, and or FB when needed. With them being more of a spread team, it makes very little sense to keep 3 TE's who can only play TE.

As for Lafell, I mentioned it after the draft. I honestly would prefer them to move on from Lafell, if the young WR's show well during Training Camp. If they keep Lafell, it hurts the development of the young WR's, and especially since he doesn't bring another dimension to this offense. I get his Veteran experience, which hopefully his one year with the Bengals. Has helped Green out enough, with Green being in the league 6 years now, Green should and needs to take more of that leadership.

I would like to see them get rid of Lafell, and Kroft. Then keep an extra lineman on either side of the ball. So we agree on the philosophy the Bengals are going to, just disagree on the personnel they are going to use to get there lol.

I don't see Hewitt making it. He plays limited amount of snaps. Cedric is too valuable on Special teams to cut over Hewitt. If they keep 7 WR's then he will be used less because of the wide open offense I think they are evolving to.

Didn't they just extend Hewitt's contract last year?? Like 4-5 years??

Didn't they just extend Hewitt's contract last year?? Like 4-5 years??

Yes, but they can cut him any time and not cost much or anything. These things usually are not guaranteed beyond signing bonuses

That is true. It wouldn't cost much to cut him at all. Money won't be an issue for really any of the guys they could cut. Hewitt or one of the other backup TE's could be cut without losing much at all. It just comes down to what they are looking more for.