Reds @ Pirates (4/10-4/12)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we don't like to give Price credit for things around here, but I feel like you have to with how he used his bullpen, specifically Lorenzen last night.

That's exactly the kinda thing we've been talking about the last two years. Completely changed the game.

I know we don't like to give Price credit for things around here, but I feel like you have to with how he used his bullpen, specifically Lorenzen last night.

Totally agree. He has seemingly gotten better over time. Makes sense that would happen. How he so far has handled the pen is how it should be handled.

Super-confident Michael Lorenzen shuts down Pittsburgh Pirates

“I don’t try to not give up any runs,” Lorenzen said. “I know I’m not going to give up any runs.”

Price stuck with the 25-year-old for two more perfect frames. In the fourth, he finished off Jordy Mercer and Starling Marte on sliders that sliced out of the zone. Andrew McCutchen actually made hard contact, but Reds center fielder Billy Hamilton made a leaping catch at the wall.

Lorenzen got through the fifth on three groundouts. He needed eight pitches. He hit for himself to start the next half inning, but gave way to Cody Reed and Wandy Peralta, who turned in four perfect frames of their own to seal the game.

After the righty prepared as a reliever all spring, Price’s limit for Lorenzen was three. Lorenzen recognizes no such ceiling. After completing his second frame, he told pitching coach Mack Jenkins he was ready to finish the entire game.

“There’s no limit!” Lorenzen said after the game. “I don’t know why I would ever think there would be a limit on what I can do. It doesn’t make any sense for me to do that. It handicaps me as someone who’s trying to go out and perform with the best.”

Lorenzen knows he’s a reliever and has embraced it, but that label represents just another limit to him. Price said after the game that no decision has been made on Lorenzen’s long-term future – “He’s a young man,” Price said – but Lorenzen wants to start eventually.

Actually, “wants” may not be strong enough.

“I will be back in the rotation one day,” he said. “When that time comes, I will capitalize on that opportunity and I will take advantage of it. I will run with it and never look back.”

Super-confident Michael Lorenzen shuts down Pittsburgh Pirates

“I don’t try to not give up any runs,” Lorenzen said. “I know I’m not going to give up any runs.”

Price stuck with the 25-year-old for two more perfect frames. In the fourth, he finished off Jordy Mercer and Starling Marte on sliders that sliced out of the zone. Andrew McCutchen actually made hard contact, but Reds center fielder Billy Hamilton made a leaping catch at the wall.

Lorenzen got through the fifth on three groundouts. He needed eight pitches. He hit for himself to start the next half inning, but gave way to Cody Reed and Wandy Peralta, who turned in four perfect frames of their own to seal the game.

After the righty prepared as a reliever all spring, Price’s limit for Lorenzen was three. Lorenzen recognizes no such ceiling. After completing his second frame, he told pitching coach Mack Jenkins he was ready to finish the entire game.

“There’s no limit!” Lorenzen said after the game. “I don’t know why I would ever think there would be a limit on what I can do. It doesn’t make any sense for me to do that. It handicaps me as someone who’s trying to go out and perform with the best.”

Lorenzen knows he’s a reliever and has embraced it, but that label represents just another limit to him. Price said after the game that no decision has been made on Lorenzen’s long-term future – “He’s a young man,” Price said – but Lorenzen wants to start eventually.

Actually, “wants” may not be strong enough.

“I will be back in the rotation one day,” he said. “When that time comes, I will capitalize on that opportunity and I will take advantage of it. I will run with it and never look back.”

Love Lorenzen and his confidence.