North Korean Military Options according to NBC News

I don't know if South Korea takes damage if North Korea grows its nuclear program. No damage so far. I still believe if we ramp up the sanctions and isolate North Korea, especially if China helps, that something will happen to Kim.

I also worry that Trump is creating his own red line with North Korea. If North Korea does a nuclear test soon and the US takes no action, will this be Trump's red line? Is Trump backing himself into a corner with his moves and tough talk? I am not liking any of the alternatives Trump is lining up. It looks like a build up to a war that will be devastating for Koreans and will cost many US lives.

Drop a handful of well placed bombs on them and it won't cost a single US life....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we bomb them, I will be shocked if North Korea doesn't bomb South Korea or the DMZ, where US military are. Then things ramp up from there. It is a risky move.

How they gonna bomb anyone if we wipe out their military bases and the little fat man's palace?

Do you think South Korea takes no damage? North Korea is launching missiles at them if the US strikes.

It's not the missiles that SK needs to worry about as much. Some of those can be intercepted. It's the massive artillery batteries that are pointed at the South that are the bigger concern. They can fire more rapidly and saturate the south.

It's not the missiles that SK needs to worry about as much. Some of those can be intercepted. It's the massive artillery batteries that are pointed at the South that are the bigger concern. They can fire more rapidly and saturate the south.

They are probably also already targeted by counter batteries that would take them out relatively quickly.

How they gonna bomb anyone if we wipe out their military bases and the little fat man's palace?

The problem with NK is that reliable intelligence is hard to come by with the way they have their society structured. So while we may get many of their bases in one alpha strike we likely would miss some. On top of that they are very good miners and have likely burrowed many of their capabilities against just such an attack.

They are no threat to the continental US, but to our troops in the DMZ they are.

We could eliminate much of their capability quickly but not enough to prevent mass casualties in the South.

They are probably also already targeted by counter batteries that would take them out relatively quickly.

Possibly, but I doubt every single one is accounted for, there will still be enough to cause mass casualties of US personnel and SK civvies.

If we want NK solved, China has to be involved.

Possibly, but I doubt every single one is accounted for, there will still be enough to cause mass casualties of US personnel and SK civvies.

If we want NK solved, China has to be involved.

I agree that China needs to be involved.

We currently have Counter Artillery that can track incoming shells and put a shell on the gun that fired it within seconds. Regrettably some shells could get into SK, but counter fire could take out their artillery in short order.

Seoul's proximity to North Korea, about 35 miles, makes this a deeply concerning situation. There are over 20 million people in the metropolitan Seoul area. South Korean casualties would be massive. If the US is going to strike North Korea, seems the only option is nuclear. We all know how that plays out. Tough nut to crack.

Seoul's proximity to North Korea, about 35 miles, makes this a deeply concerning situation. There are over 20 million people in the metropolitan Seoul area. South Korean casualties would be massive. If the US is going to strike North Korea, seems the only option is nuclear. We all know how that plays out. Tough nut to crack.

This is exactly what I am getting at. Even if we can knock out their artillery and missile batteries quickly a massed attack could be catastrophic to SK due to population density. Possibly Japan as well depending on their focus.

Nuclear capability is the great equalizer. This is why it is so important for North Korea to demonstrate that they have the weaponry to reach Seoul. From what I gather, and I'm far from an expert, NK currently has the ability to reach Seoul with nuclear warheads. This really limits the US options.