Attendance numbers for Sweet 16

Head coaches are doing more than "putting in hours". He/she have the responsibility and pressure of dealing with the expectations of fans, the media, the administration, team discipline, etc. They handle public relations for their program and oversee all other's responsibilities of those connected to the program. They're also involved with team schedules, travel schedules, equipment orders, and other duties. A few of jobs may be delegated to assistants but anything that goes wrong falls back on the coach.

Equating managers and stat keepers duties and responsibilities to the head coach is really reaching.

1) If the head coach isn't reasonably holding the players responsible for results vs. expectations, he isn't being a leader of young men.

2) ADs should make the "other duties" no more than a yes or no hassle for a coach, who isn't there to work out logistics.

3) Regardless how much credit one role gets over another, if coach, team, and staff win the region, they get a free trip.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) If the head coach isn't reasonably holding the players responsible for results vs. expectations, he isn't being a leader of young men.

2) ADs should make the "other duties" no more than a yes or no hassle for a coach, who isn't there to work out logistics.

3) Regardless how much credit one role gets over another, if coach, team, and staff win the region, they get a free trip.

We can agree or disagree on the logic of whether schools should be permitted or not to pay for tickets/rooms for their coaches or staff. However, this thread is about attendance at the boys state tournament and I stand by my statement that the Redbook regulations are at the top of the list of the reasons why the tournament is not being attended like it once was.

We can agree or disagree on the logic of whether schools should be permitted or not to pay for tickets/rooms for their coaches or staff. However, this thread is about attendance at the boys state tournament and I stand by my statement that the Redbook regulations are at the top of the list of the reasons why the tournament is not being attended like it once was.

I agree with you. Just a sorry reason.

What if schools were allotted a certain amount of Finals tickets since that seems to be one of the least attended sessions.

I agree with you. Just a sorry reason.

What if schools were allotted a certain amount of Finals tickets since that seems to be one of the least attended sessions.

That would help. It would be nice to have an arena nearly filled to watch the video of the week's events and action and honor the two teams/coaches for being the last two remaining in the tournament.

It will probably never be like the night when Simon Kenton and Mason County played for the state title in 1982 when there were over 20,000 in Rupp, but I sure wish it could be better than in recent years. Of course I do realize that attendance in the finals is also determined by who is playing. If it's teams with small fan bases it wouldn't much matter anyway. Or if UK is playing at the same time, which is what happened Sunday.