Attendance numbers for Sweet 16

I don't look too much into attendance numbers for the finals. The game was the same time that UL and UK were playing if I am correct so unless you're a fan of one of the teams in the finals it's hard to draw basketball fans today when the NCAA tournament and two in state college teams are playing.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are those two weeks coming from?

Not from Football!

The KHSAA tail will wag the Kentucky High School basketball product dog, until they have squeezed the last nickle out of it.

They will not accept their declining attendance as a sign of the times, but insist on cutting back, raising prices, doing away with things like the programs, and shortening the season until everybody loses interest in the overall product.

For small schools, we are already squeezed with scheduling All "A" Regional games and leaving space for a possible appearance in the "A" State Tournament, and then add in your conference schedule and a few cash cow rivalries and that will be about all there will be space for.

How much does it cost for a state tournament ticket anyway? Haven't been in years? Is it so much that it's the reason fans aren't going anymore? Personally, I have other more important things to do and for a few dollars a year I can follow all of the high school action, season and tourneys, here on BGP. :clap:

Does the reserved seating throughout impact attendance? Keeping away the less than totally dedicated fan?

As I looked around during the semis and the final, there were plenty of empty seats in the center sections on both sides. But the ones available to purchase were up in the corners.

I'm told they were fairly militant about checking tickets to make sure you were in the right section, row, and seat... not moving down, etc.

A couple of family members (2 adult & a toddler) of mine didn't go to final because they weren't going to be able to sit with the rest of the family.

So I was wondering how many people may go online to purchase tickets, see where the available seats are and say, nah, I'll stay home and watch blah blah ncaa tourney.

Maybe a combination of a few sections of reserved seating and some sections of general admission/festival seating???

How much does it cost for a state tournament ticket anyway? Haven't been in years? Is it so much that it's the reason fans aren't going anymore? Personally, I have other more important things to do and for a few dollars a year I can follow all of the high school action, season and tourneys, here on BGP. :clap:
Price isn't bad. Best seats go for $13-$19 depending on where you get them or you can get them through your school for around $11

Does the reserved seating throughout impact attendance? Keeping away the less than totally dedicated fan?

As I looked around during the semis and the final, there were plenty of empty seats in the center sections on both sides. But the ones available to purchase were up in the corners.

I'm told they were fairly militant about checking tickets to make sure you were in the right section, row, and seat... not moving down, etc.

A couple of family members (2 adult & a toddler) of mine didn't go to final because they weren't going to be able to sit with the rest of the family.

So I was wondering how many people may go online to purchase tickets, see where the available seats are and say, nah, I'll stay home and watch blah blah ncaa tourney.

Maybe a combination of a few sections of reserved seating and some sections of general admission/festival seating???

Was there all week and never had my ticket checked. As a matter of fact I got 3 tickets for the title game and then my daughter got into town Sunday morning and wanted to go so we got her a ticket online through ticketmaster and it was in a different section than the rest of us but she still was able to sit with us because no one ever checked our tickets. It was a huge difference at Rupp than it is at Great American or Paul Borwn Stadium or even at NKU where they always check tickets before going into a section. Rupp they never once asked and we moved around a lot.

Why do you have to shorten the season, can't you just flip flop the boys and girls tournaments?

That is one thing that probably will happen. But the girls tournament now takes place during the men's SEC Tournament. I'm certain the KHSAA doesn't want to compete against that event for fans. That's why it likely will be moved up one more week (the last week of the NCAA regular season), with the girls now playing during the men's SEC tournament.

Was there all week and never had my ticket checked. As a matter of fact I got 3 tickets for the title game and then my daughter got into town Sunday morning and wanted to go so we got her a ticket online through ticketmaster and it was in a different section than the rest of us but she still was able to sit with us because no one ever checked our tickets. It was a huge difference at Rupp than it is at Great American or Paul Borwn Stadium or even at NKU where they always check tickets before going into a section. Rupp they never once asked and we moved around a lot.

Maybe my dad and in-laws had trouble written on their face. :)

They were asked at the top of the section each time they went in.

Why do you have to shorten the season, can't you just flip flop the boys and girls tournaments?

The Sweet 16 Boys then would be competing against the SEC tournament. They want it during the last week of the regular season of the NCAA so the games are not competing against conference or NCAA tournament.