Elizabeth Warren Banned from Rest of Sessions Debate

TheDeuce

The letter Mrs. King wrote. Does anyone know what it was even claiming Session did to the 3 black voter registration officials? Plus one of the people was a close family friend of the King's. So no wonder she wrote to try to defend him.

Then, in 1984, black officeholders complained of voter fraud and filed an election contest, Sessions said. Perry County, one of the smallest Alabama counties with a population of 15,000, had more absentee ballots filed than Jefferson County, population 700,000, according to a local news article.

Investigators interviewed witnesses who said their ballots were changed and observed a post office where Turner and other activists dropped off ballots. They tracked the ballots and found about 75 out of 700 had been changed, Sessions said — a larger scale than was alleged in 1982.

Sen. Strom Thurmond, who was the Senate Judiciary Committee chairman at the time, asked Sessions: “As district attorney, was it your obligation then, when the FBI found this fraud, to go forward and prosecute?”

Sessions answered: “It certainly was. It was something we had been requested to do by an official grand jury in that county, too, two years before.”

A weak case

The prosecution brought a weak case and was understaffed and underprepared compared with the defense. Prosecutors unsuccessfully argued that even legal ballot changes — in the form of voter assistance for the elderly and the illiterate — constituted voter fraud.

Sessions was not personally involved in the case until the end, when it became clear that the prosecutors would fail. He acknowledged that “one of the things I think I failed in doing — we only have eight lawyers in the office. I only had two lawyers assigned to the case” against a 10-person defense team comprising experienced civil rights lawyers.

Some black voters testified that they didn’t authorize any changes to their ballots. But others, who had told the FBI that their ballots were changed without approval, changed their testimony during the trial. Some could not identify ballots as their own because they couldn’t read or write. Other government witnesses spoke positively about Turner and the other defendants before the jury.

So their acquittal was just bad prosecuting?

The facts about the voter fraud case that sank Jeff Sessions’s bid for a judgeship - The Washington Post

Edited by Hatz
provide link

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe your numbers are off just a little if you are looking at 2009, Obama's first term. By my count Obama had 10 confirmations within one month and Trump might equal or exceed that. Obama had three confirmations that took more than one month and also had three nominees who withdrew themselves after scrutiny. When it is all said and done, I expect the Trump confirmations to be more successful than Obama's were in his first term.

As of now its not and not looking any closer to getting done.

Unfortunately, what's good for the goose is apparently good for the gander. Republicans did it for 8 years and no one should be surprised that the Democrats are doing it. Much like no one should be surprised at everything Trump is doing, no one should be surprised that the Democrats are going to be obstructionists. That is the way they do business in Washington DC. Sad ... for Republicans, for Democrats and for Americans.

I didn't think the past mattered to you??

Very bad political move by Mitch, imo, if he was trying to help his party. Why energize the base of the opposition ?

Im glad the Dem Party was energized and backing Warren. I cant wait for her to run for Pres. Cant wait on her lies about being a Cherokee comes out even more.

^^^^^^^^^^

After hearing some Dems on the news last night say their constituents want them to obstruct Trump at every turn and second and they are going to.

Its not going to end. Bad thing is that Trump is actually doing a pretty good job so far.

If Trump's policies get the economy going, the Democrat obstruction won't matter.

It would really serve most everyone in the political forum here on BGP to listen and heed Senator Rubio's words....Might actually make this forum tolerable again.

And Rubio is right. But as long as riots and protest happen its not going to change.

And so called leaders stop promoting it. Like the tweet Hillary sent out for women, protesters, Warren.

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted."

So must we all

She just wants to add to the mess.