Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tesla Auto Steer Reduces Accidents

Featured Replies

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/01/business/inside-tesla-accident.html?_r=0

 

The 1st paragraph:

 

Tesla told Senate investigators that a “technical failure” of the automatic braking system played a role but maintains that Autopilot was not at fault.

 

It goes on:

 

The Tesla Model S crashed in northern Florida into a truck that was turning left in front of it. The Tesla then ran off the road, hitting a fence and a power pole before coming to a stop.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has to be infinitely safer than the octogenarian this morning driving in the rain with her dome light on who cut off no less than 4 people on my way to work. So, please Tesla, hurry.

The more autopilot vehicles on the road the safer the autopilot feature will become. As the "doc" said, on with it Tesla.

It's only a matter of time and it's the next employment crisis.

 

250,000 taxicab drivers

160,000 Uber drivers

3.5 million truck drivers

It's only a matter of time and it's the next employment crisis.

 

250,000 taxicab drivers

160,000 Uber drivers

3.5 million truck drivers

Actually, I wish I could find the article I read on that issue last week, but it essentially stated that it would likely be required that a driver be present for over the road deliveries. Not to drive but as a necessary adjunct to the delivery. My guess is that you're right and it would likely phase out with time. But this was from a meeting among several major carriers.
Actually, I wish I could find the article I read on that issue last week, but it essentially stated that it would likely be required that a driver be present for over the road deliveries. Not to drive but as a necessary adjunct to the delivery. My guess is that you're right and it would likely phase out with time. But this was from a meeting among several major carriers.

 

I read something similar, saying that human drivers would still be needed to get to and from the interstate and the Auto Pilot would be for interstate travel only.

 

Thanks for that good link.

 

The last line in the link reads:

 

"Tesla has said that in Mr. Brown’s accident, the Autopilot system failed to see the white truck against a bright sky."

 

==============

 

A quick Google search shows us:

 

They have shown that we can see about 1000 levels of light-dark, 100 levels of red-green, and 100 levels of yellow-blue for a single viewing condition in a laboratory. This means that the total number of colors we can see is about 1000 x 100 x 100 =10,000,000 (10 million).

 

==============

 

So the issue was obviously a failure of the Tesla Autopilot system to differentiate color and it resulted in a fatality.

 

The system failed.

 

==============

 

Additionally there should be additional safety systems that alert the driver/slow the vehicle autonomously when a physical structure is sensed in the path of the moving vehicle. We already have this feature in cars with Adaptive Cruise Control.

 

==============

 

I wouldn't only term this a failure by the Tesla Autopilot system I would call it a catastrophic failure.

 

==============

 

With all that said I agree with this quote from the article:

 

Jeff Larason, the Massachusetts highway safety director, is among those in the auto safety community who argue that automated and self-driving technologies will ultimately greatly reduce the toll from driving. Human error accounts for more than 90 percent of all car crashes, he said.

 

Mr. Larason said the Tesla fatality, while a “horrible tragedy,” should not undermine the good that accident-avoidance technology might achieve.

 

 

[h=3][/h]

Thanks for that good link.

 

The last line in the link reads:

 

"Tesla has said that in Mr. Brown’s accident, the Autopilot system failed to see the white truck against a bright sky."

 

==============

 

A quick Google search shows us:

 

They have shown that we can see about 1000 levels of light-dark, 100 levels of red-green, and 100 levels of yellow-blue for a single viewing condition in a laboratory. This means that the total number of colors we can see is about 1000 x 100 x 100 =10,000,000 (10 million).

 

==============

 

So the issue was obviously a failure of the Tesla Autopilot system to differentiate color and it resulted in a fatality.

 

The system failed.

 

==============

 

Additionally there should be additional safety systems that alert the driver/slow the vehicle autonomously when a physical structure is sensed in the path of the moving vehicle. We already have this feature in cars with Adaptive Cruise Control.

 

==============

 

I wouldn't only term this a failure by the Tesla Autopilot system I would call it a catastrophic failure.

 

==============

 

With all that said I agree with this quote from the article:

 

Jeff Larason, the Massachusetts highway safety director, is among those in the auto safety community who argue that automated and self-driving technologies will ultimately greatly reduce the toll from driving. Human error accounts for more than 90 percent of all car crashes, he said.

 

Mr. Larason said the Tesla fatality, while a “horrible tragedy,” should not undermine the good that accident-avoidance technology might achieve.

 

 

Does your Chrysler have the Adaptive Cruise?
Does your Chrysler have the Adaptive Cruise?

 

It does.

 

To be specific everyone, I own a 2012 Chrysler SRT8 loaded with features and one of them is Adaptive Cruise Control. In short, you set your speed and the distance you want to maintain from any vehicles in front of you and the car slows you down and speeds you up to maintain that exact distance making your set speed your maximum speed.

 

If I am driving at night around this area I occasionally use the feature and driving back and forth to Florida I don't know what I would do without it.

My wife's car has it and it has a factory preset. I don't mind it, but occasionally, when going less than 40 in town I'm not remotely in that range and it will brake and scare the :poop: out me and nearly choke you on your seatbelt. It has quirks, and I'm not opposed, but I wonder what the sensor senses sometimes.

My wife's car has it and it has a factory preset. I don't mind it, but occasionally, when going less than 40 in town I'm not remotely in that range and it will brake and scare the :poop: out me and nearly choke you on your seatbelt. It has quirks, and I'm not opposed, but I wonder what the sensor senses sometimes.

 

Sounds like you need to be researching it and/or calling the car company.

Sounds like you need to be researching it and/or calling the car company.
Germans. Haven't been worth a poop since they bombed Pearl Harbor.

...and it's not frequent. Happened maybe twice.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.