Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tesla Auto Steer Reduces Accidents

Featured Replies

  • Replies 36
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Tech is coming sooner or later to all cars, just like Air Bags and Seat Belts.

 

Very interesting to see what it is capable of and looking for potential pit falls of the technology.

Yep, investing in that direction soon.

  • Author
Yep, investing in that direction soon.

 

Figured this may be of interest to you.

Figured this may be of interest to you.
Haven't done it yet. Hope to start next week. Ford has some interesting stuff available too.
Haven't done it yet. Hope to start next week. Ford has some interesting stuff available too.

 

They showed a couple of snippets on their SB commercial last night.

They showed a couple of snippets on their SB commercial last night.
Like you said, it's really a matter of time.

One day in the near future you will have to pay for extra car insurance if you want to drive yourself instead of letting the computer drive.

I'm confused by the article. It says 'Autopilot' isn't to blame, then says that the driver had set it on autopilot 2 minutes prior to the crash.

 

Wasn't this the crash where the Tesla, on autopilot, rear ended the semi? I understand that ultimately the driver is responsible for the vehicle whether autopilot is engaged or not, but a properly functioning autopilot shouldn't rear end a semi after traveling at 74 MPH for 2 minutes.

I'm confused by the article. It says 'Autopilot' isn't to blame, then says that the driver had set it on autopilot 2 minutes prior to the crash.

 

Wasn't this the crash where the Tesla, on autopilot, rear ended the semi? I understand that ultimately the driver is responsible for the vehicle whether autopilot is engaged or not, but a properly functioning autopilot shouldn't rear end a semi after traveling at 74 MPH for 2 minutes.

 

I did a little reading and found:

 

A safety-related defect trend has not been identified at this time and further examination of this issue does not appear to be warranted. Accordingly, this investigation is closed. The closing of this investigation does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that no safety-related defect exists. The agency will monitor the issue and reserves the right to take future action if warranted by the circumstances.

 

=================

 

This is me again, I didn't read the full report but reading between the lines the 'Autopilot' failed to avoid the collision on its own.

This is me again, I didn't read the full report but reading between the lines the 'Autopilot' failed to avoid the collision on its own.

 

I agree. And to me, failure to avoid the collision sounds like 'Autopilot' failed.

 

With that said, I agree that some type of assisted driving features have already improved safety & ultimately cars will be self-driving at a safer rate than humans.

I agree. And to me, failure to avoid the collision sounds like 'Autopilot' failed.

 

With that said, I agree that some type of assisted driving features have already improved safety & ultimately cars will be self-driving at a safer rate than humans.

 

I would like to read the whole report but the article has a definite 'corporate Tesla feel' to me and not so much an objective 3rd party feel.

 

Obviously the human sitting in the drivers seat had the contributing factor of Driver Inattention. On the other hand, if we want to say the 'Autopilot' is 40% less likely to crash than a human driver, then the 'Autopilot' should be evaluated independently on its driving performance in any collision.

 

It is clear and simple, the 'Autopilot' failed.

I may be wrong, but I think the issue with this accident was that a white trailer pulled across the path of the car and the system had trouble telling the trailer from the sky...which looked nearly identical to the crash avoidance software.

 

They have since corrected that issue.

I may be wrong, but I think the issue with this accident was that a white trailer pulled across the path of the car and the system had trouble telling the trailer from the sky...which looked nearly identical to the crash avoidance software.

 

They have since corrected that issue.

 

Or the trailer at a distance vs. an overpass. From distance they would look almost identical to a basic computer code. You know, one degree here, a little super elevation there, bump in the road...

Or the trailer at a distance vs. an overpass. From distance they would look almost identical to a basic computer code. You know, one degree here, a little super elevation there, bump in the road...

 

Yes...it was either confusion with a similar colored sky or maybe it was an overpass. I read about it when it happened and Tesla released their version of what happened. If I wasn't in bed already I'd look it up, but laptop is way at the other end of the house...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.