Head Coach at Nelson County Resigns.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what happens when you let a parent be a member of the coaching staff, feelings get hurt. They had this 7 years ago or so with another parent hopping on board while the kid was a member of the team. She graduated, he left, so as another poster close to the situation had stated, its a train wreck. Good luck to Coach Woods, he will be happier as the days go by, quality person all the way around.

This is what happens when you let a parent be a member of the coaching staff, feelings get hurt. They had this 7 years ago or so with another parent hopping on board while the kid was a member of the team. She graduated, he left, so as another poster close to the situation had stated, its a train wreck. Good luck to Coach Woods, he will be happier as the days go by, quality person all the way around.

Who are you speaking of specifically here? The only person I can come up with who fits in this time frame you speak of is Dwayne Hogan, who was with NC while his daughter played. Dwayne did in fact leave NC after his daughter's graduation, but it was to take the girls' job at Thomas Nelson when that school opened up three years after she graduated. He didn't have a daughter play for him at TNHS.

This was very unfortunate and should not have happened. However knowing both parties very well this is another example of the inept leadership of the Nelson County schools. The handled this poorly just as they do every situation within that district. This once proud district is a train wreck on every level!

Sad situation!

Below is from the original online story, which has since been removed. I bolded the quote from the superintendent himself for emphasis:

"Nelson County girls’ basketball head coach Kelly Wood and assistant G.B. Walls were both absent from the bench at Tuesday night’s 71-19 Cardinal win over Washington County, and are serving a 10-day suspension handed down by Nelson County Schools.

The suspension was levied in response to an incident that occurred following Saturday’s game against Scott County, an 85-57 Nelson loss, which was played at Franklin County.

“There was a disagreement among coaches, and they’re taking the night out,” Nelson Schools superintendent Anthony Orr said at Tuesday’s game.

School officials did not elaborate as to how many games the two would miss or whether the suspension was 10 school days or 10 calendar days. Orr said at Tuesday’s game that the school system would “probably have additional comments later on” about the situation, but that “we’re going to give it some time.”

Nelson assistant Jason Clark handled head-coaching duties at Tuesday’s game.

GIRLS' BASKETBALL: NC head coach, assistant suspended | KYStandard.com

You are totally out of the loop and made a totally irresponsible comment referencing this situation. Knowing both parties extremely well this event should have never taken place as it did, with that being said I firmly believe that the amateurish handling of this situation by the district was inappropriate. These coaches stepped up and offered viable solutions to this incident. These solutions included one coach accepting FULL responsibility of the incident and tendering his resignation. This would have been the best option and benefited the kids, but with this administration they just don't get it!

Again let me make sure you are aware the incident was something that shouldn't have taken place and these two individuals would be the first to admit that. However it did and you try and learn from it offer assistance and move on. Not ignore an individual who has given 22 years of impeccable service to a district both in the classroom and in the athletic arena. We can all learn from all situations, just disheartening that school administrators don't step up and support their coaches when it is needed most.

Supporting your coaches is not always easy, but is something that is necessary.

@groundattack But what these coaches did was insanely stupid. You agree right? So how can a man with 22 years of service do something so stupid?

What goes through a man's mind to tell him that he can fight with another person in front of players and not get fired?

From what I have read on here, that is exactly what happened. He got into an actual fight on the bus with another coach.

Who does that?

@groundattack But what these coaches did was insanely stupid. You agree right? So how can a man with 22 years of service do something so stupid?

What goes through a man's mind to tell him that he can fight with another person in front of players and not get fired?

From what I have read on here, that is exactly what happened. He got into an actual fight on the bus with another coach.

Who does that?

Two coaches discussing an emotional loss and it becomes heated and their emotions got the best of them. Lets not over dramatize the incident and think the coaches had each other down in the seats pounding on each other. There were words and there was physical contact and then the assistants separated them. I have seen many coaches on staffs have heated exchanges on practice fields, practice courts, coaches offices.

My view is why this can't be use as a learning experience for all parties. Suspend the coaches for a set number of games and it sends the messages to all parties that when you mess up there are consequences. Firing both was just way overboard, especially when the assistant accepted full responsibility and offered his resignation to allow the head coach to stay with the program.

@groundattack Maybe it is overboard, but you said that the administration "just doesn't get it." Maybe they do indeed get it, and they think it's A much bigger deal than you do. And if they are the administration then it is indeed to their call.

I've been watching basketball since about 1993 and I have never seen members of the same Coaching staff get into a physical education with each other.

Don't feel sorry for the coaches, they are the ones That caused this whole mess. I believe in supporting standing by her coaches when I comes to things like player decisions, records, and strategy. Not stupidity

@groundattack Maybe it is overboard, but you said that the administration "just doesn't get it." Maybe they do indeed get it, and they think it's A much bigger deal than you do. And if they are the administration then it is indeed to their call.

I've been watching basketball since about 1993 and I have never seen members of the same Coaching staff get into a physical education with each other.

Don't feel sorry for the coaches, they are the ones That caused this whole mess. I believe in supporting standing by her coaches when I comes to things like player decisions, records, and strategy. Not stupidity

I have never seen coaches get into altercations in public, however if you think coaches don't have verbal altercations behind closed doors you are mistaken.

No one is asking for people to feel sorry for the coaches most notably them. They made a mistake, and they both resigned. Just don't believe that was the best way to handle the situation.

I guess we will agree to disagree knowing all parties involved, this has been blown way out of proportion. These coaches had coached together for years, are great friends and are still great friends.

I have never seen coaches get into altercations in public, however if you think coaches don't have verbal altercations behind closed doors you are mistaken.

No one is asking for people to feel sorry for the coaches most notably them. They made a mistake, and they both resigned. Just don't believe that was the best way to handle the situation.

I guess we will agree to disagree knowing all parties involved, this has been blown way out of proportion. These coaches had coached together for years, are great friends and are still great friends.

They were sitting in the stands together like old friends watching the game Friday, I was told.