Rules question?

woodsrider

During a kick off the ball is placed on the tee. The kicker backs up to his spot and before he can kick the ball it falls off of the tee. The play clock is running. The kicker walks back up and re-tees the ball and the play clock runs to zero before the ball is kicked. A flag is thrown and the kicking team is penalized for delay of game.

Correct call or should the play clock have been reset?

I thought that if the ball fell off the tee the play clock was stopped and re-started and if it happened a second time the kicking team had to use a holder. I do not think the kicking team should be penalized for delay in this situation, but then again I'm not a referee.

During a kick off the ball is placed on the tee. The kicker backs up to his spot and before he can kick the ball it falls off of the tee. The play clock is running. The kicker walks back up and re-tees the ball and the play clock runs to zero before the ball is kicked. A flag is thrown and the kicking team is penalized for delay of game.

Correct call or should the play clock have been reset?

Rule 3-6-2...Action or inaction which prevents promptness in putting the ball in play is delay of game. This includes:

a. Failure to snap or free kick within 25 seconds after the ball is marked ready for play.

So, in and of itself, that's a correct call.

offside

Rule 3-6-2...Action or inaction which prevents promptness in putting the ball in play is delay of game. This includes:

a. Failure to snap or free kick within 25 seconds after the ball is marked ready for play.

offside

So he should just run up and kick off the ground because it feel of or was blown off of the tee? I have never seen it called that way except for the instance that prompted me to post this.

offside

When the ball falls off the tee, could it be considered not ready for play and the play clock stopped? Then a new 25 seconds starts when it goes back on the tee?

That is how I thought it was applied. At least the spirit of the rule "should" be applied this way IMO.

When the ball falls off the tee, could it be considered not ready for play and the play clock stopped? Then a new 25 seconds starts when it goes back on the tee?

That is how I thought it was applied. At least the spirit of the rule "should" be applied this way IMO.

Yes

In general, I agree with your assessment of the spirit of the rule; some leeway is often provided in such circumstances. But I suspect there's more to the story here.

In general, I agree with your assessment of the spirit of the rule; some leeway is often provided in such circumstances. But I suspect there's more to the story here.

Here is the story of what happen.

During the Henderson/Daviess Co. game Henderson lined up for kickoff. Jesse Gilghman, HC's kicker, put the ball on the tee and walked to his spot to begin the kick off. While walking back to his spot the ball falls off the tee. When he turns around he sees the ball laying on the ground and walks to it to place back on the tee. I notice while this is happening the play clock is winding down. While Jesse is placing the ball back on the tee the clock runs out and the official on the side line blows his whislte and throws his flag. He walks out, singles delay of game, then marks off the penalty.

I have never seen an official impose a delay of game penalty on a team due to the ball falling off or being blown off of the tee. But I just wasn't sure if it is a rule the officials usually don't enforce or if the this official in particular was just wrong.

There should be no delay of game penalty in this situation. Correct call is to place the ball back on the tee. If it happens a second time then there must be a holder. The rule stated above only applies to snapping the football in plays from scrimmage or kicking situations where a players action or inaction causes the delay. The main reason for footballs falling off of tees during kickoffs is wind in bad weather. That is out of a players control. This was a bad call in my opinion.