Where Do We Go From Here?

Getslow

I think that's changed a lot in recent years. There's some great writing on how and why that happened, but the biggest problem, at least in Kentucky, is that the Democrats nationally have become the party of major urban areas with a social and economic agenda that is just completely different from the populist roots of most of last century.

There's a lot of truth to the idea that the Democrats flat abandoned these folks and the election results yesterday (especially in Eastern Kentucky) seem to bear that out.

I think the bolded was borne out in Florida, too.

Most of counties with large urban areas, Dade County (Miami), Broward (Ft. Lauderdale), Palm Beach County (West Palm), Hillsborough County (Tampa), and Orange County (Orlando) went to Clinton by an average of near 60% of the vote per county. Only Pinellas County (St. Petersburg/Clearwater) and Duval County (Jacksonville) went to Trump, but by an average of only 49%.

By contrast, Trump won all but 4 of the remaining 60 counties by an average of 65% of the vote per county.

This one is for the Democrats on the forums. Even setting aside the presidential election, last night was a complete disaster for the Democratic Party, especially here locally.

The Kentucky GOP is going to control the state legislature for the first time in a century. The US Senate looked like a very winnable prize for the Dems but that fell short as well.

Will Democrats take any valuable lessons from this night? What lessons are those?

It's a good question. I'm not sure yet.

And yet people will ask black people why we are concerned and terrified.

Johnson ® beating Linda Belcher (d) is a result of people voting straight party in protest of Hillary. This is a stunning result to most voters in this area.

The images he posted on Facebook are unacceptable and racist in my opinion and this makes him unfit to hold public office.

I will do everything possible within my circle of influence to see that he is a one term representative.

It's Bullitt County.

Bullitt County is basically the Wild West. My office is not more than 10 minutes from the county line but I don't practice in Shepherdsville anymore. If someone comes in, I tell them to go find a Bullitt County lawyer.

Bullitt County is basically the Wild West. My office is not more than 10 minutes from the county line but I don't practice in Shepherdsville anymore. If someone comes in, I tell them to go find a Bullitt County lawyer.

Smart.

We're making progress, but obviously not where we want to be.

We're making progress, but obviously not where we want to be.

It's not even the politics really. I've never been treated by judges in Louisville, LaGrange, Shelbyville, or Brandenburg the way I've been treated by the folks in Bullitt. I think they're very protective of local lawyers and it shows. You want a successful practice in Bullitt County and I firmly believe that you darn well better have a Shepherdsville or Mt. Washington address on your filings.

It's not even the politics really. I've never been treated by judges in Louisville, LaGrange, Shelbyville, or Brandenburg the way I've been treated by the folks in Bullitt. I think they're very protective of local lawyers and it shows. You want a successful practice in Bullitt County and I firmly believe that you had darn well better have a Shepherdsville or Mt. Washington address on your filings.

I've heard this from a number of attorneys.