Daviess County Is The 2016 Boys Soccer State Champion

Well no one has come up with a better way either. Soccer can't just play until they have a winner, it's a much more endurance based sport than most others that use that method. And if you start pulling players then you just have the reverse problem of PKs which players DONT you trust to play the game.

Soccer CAN play OTs until they determine a winner they just choose not to do it. The endurance argument is not a good one because you cannot tell me at the end of two 5 minutes OTs that the kids have played to exhaustion. Would a 20 minute OT followed by another 20 minute OT if needed really not be a better way to determine a State Champ? Why not start there? If basketball go unlimited OTs and football can go unlimited OTs I see no reason why after two 5 minute OTs they have to go to PKs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohio OT:

Tournament Tie Procedures

When the score is tied at the end of regulation time, the referee will instruct both teams to return to their respective

team benches. There will be five minutes during which both teams may confer with their coaches and the head

referee will instruct both teams as to proper procedures.

i. Teams will play one 15-minute sudden victory overtime period. If neither team scores during the

first overtime period, teams will play a second 15-minute sudden victory overtime period.

ii. Prior to the first overtime period, a coin toss shall be held as in Rule 5-2-2 (d)(3).

iii. If neither team scores during the first 15-minute overtime period, teams shall alternate the kickoff

and change ends for the second overtime period.

iv. There shall be a two-minute interval between periods.

Ohio OT:

Tournament Tie Procedures

When the score is tied at the end of regulation time, the referee will instruct both teams to return to their respective

team benches. There will be five minutes during which both teams may confer with their coaches and the head

referee will instruct both teams as to proper procedures.

i. Teams will play one 15-minute sudden victory overtime period. If neither team scores during the

first overtime period, teams will play a second 15-minute sudden victory overtime period.

ii. Prior to the first overtime period, a coin toss shall be held as in Rule 5-2-2 (d)(3).

iii. If neither team scores during the first 15-minute overtime period, teams shall alternate the kickoff

and change ends for the second overtime period.

iv. There shall be a two-minute interval between periods.

Doesn't say what happens if still tied after all this.....pks?

Soccer CAN play OTs until they determine a winner they just choose not to do it. The endurance argument is not a good one because you cannot tell me at the end of two 5 minutes OTs that the kids have played to exhaustion. Would a 20 minute OT followed by another 20 minute OT if needed really not be a better way to determine a State Champ? Why not start there? If basketball go unlimited OTs and football can go unlimited OTs I see no reason why after two 5 minute OTs they have to go to PKs.

But you still just can't play until you have a score, that could take hours. A full soccer match is already over an hour and they often end scoreless. The reason other sports play OT is because the likelihood of ties after the OTs is so remote. With soccer that isn't the case.

Doesn't say what happens if still tied after all this.....pks?

Yes, but those hardy Ohio Boys and Girls can somehow play 30 more minutes and KY Boys and Girls can only do 10??? Why can't KY do 30 minutes? That's should be a start. If you left it up to the players when the regular time ends in a tie.......hey do you want to go to PKs now, do you want to play up to two 5 minute OTs before PKs, or do you want to play up to two 15 minute OTs before PKs, or do you want to play OTs until we have a winner? Which do you think the players would elect?

Kentucky used to have a longer overtime period. About 6 or 7 years ago they reduced it to what it is now. My understanding is that the KHSAA wants the overtime period to be the same in the play-offs as the regular season. They felt 30 minutes was too long on a school night when many games don't start until 8 pm, and outside the 3 main areas many teams have to travel an hour or two to get to there district and regional games. Thus why we have what we have.

He was onside when the ball was played and still in an onside position for at least half of the flight of the ball. CC defenders knew he was onside, I have zero doubt. But bad calls happen. This would have been a much bigger story (duh) had CC won it in PKs.

He was onside when the ball was played and still in an onside position for at least half of the flight of the ball. CC defenders knew he was onside, I have zero doubt. But bad calls happen. This would have been a much bigger story (duh) had CC won it in PKs.

But wait, I thought Theoldguy said there's no if's and's or butts that the player was offside. How could he have been onside then?