Daviess County Is The 2016 Boys Soccer State Champion

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to disagree. I happened to be standing long the fence and was almost in perfect position to make the same call. He was offsides.

However, I do agree that Daviess County deserved to win. They outplayed the Colonels the entire game. Their passing and ball control was superior to the Colonels. Both teams made mistakes and missed opportunities leading to the outcome. Congrats to both teams on excellent seasons!

I was in the same spot as you and I thought they made the right call. However after watching the video it showed he was on.

One of the best state finals I have seen and congrats to both teams on great seasons. I attached a screenshot from the video.

IMG_4143.PNG

Agree you cannot tell anything from the video or still photo other than it was close. If an attacking player has an arm, leg, half of his body, etc in an offsides position..............it's offsides. Close call, agreed but not definitive either way.

As I said in my first post on this thread (post #4) congrats to Daviess as they have a fine team and are deserving champs.

I rewatched it...the angle is pretty good actually. He is onside no doubt. Watch the goalie and back 6 for covcath - they KNEW he was onside...all of them immediately slump over in defeat, and there is no protest for being offside. Horrible call. Should have been over in OT. Linesman must have been catholic. LOL.

I agree, from this angle he appears to be onside, it is almost the exact sight line l had from where I was sitting.

This is NOT a good angle to make the call from, this is about 15 yards to the right of where the player in question is. If you look across the field you can see that the AR appears to be in a good position to make the correct call. Unless someone has a shot/video that is in line with the goal line, I am trusting the AR made the correct call, whether he is Catholic or not.

Agree you cannot tell anything from the video or still photo other than it was close. If an attacking player has an arm, leg, half of his body, etc in an offsides position..............it's offsides. Close call, agreed but not definitive either way.

As I said in my first post on this thread (post #4) congrats to Daviess as they have a fine team and are deserving champs.

I agree 100%. We were in a group talking about what a difficult call that was to make and even more difficult given it was a state final.

I was surprised with how well Daviess moved the ball and created chances against the Cov Cath D. This will be a tough game to top in the future.

Also a kudos to the Cov Cath student section that showed up. They made the game a lot more enjoyable.

One correction, arm doesn't count. Only the parts of the body that can play the ball legally count. Your point is valid though.

The CC defender has his left arm on the kid from DC (on the side that's closest to the goal), if you freeze it you can easily see this...the defender goes with him and does a great job, just a better executed header.

The AR can't see the ball and the line at the same time. The DC kid clearly moves behind him AFTER the ball is struck, the defender moves right with him, but it's enough for him to make a great play. Again, none of the back line, nor the goalie protested, they slumped over - they knew it was a good play. Especially the kid who had his arm on him.

The AR can't see the ball and the line at the same time. The DC kid clearly moves behind him AFTER the ball is struck, the defender moves right with him, but it's enough for him to make a great play. Again, none of the back line, nor the goalie protested, they slumped over - they knew it was a good play. Especially the kid who had his arm on him.

Because players always know the right call? Look it was close and may have been onside. The point is no one has given definitive evidence of their opinion.

CC has a great team and I'm sure they'll be back. I thought it was well played by both and good shots on goal from both. CC had one zing right over the cross bar and DC had some good chances as well. I did think DC controlled the ball much better most of the game. CC looked their best the last 20 minutes of the first half to me.

I agree, from this angle he appears to be onside, it is almost the exact sight line l had from where I was sitting.

This is NOT a good angle to make the call from, this is about 15 yards to the right of where the player in question is. If you look across the field you can see that the AR appears to be in a good position to make the correct call. Unless someone has a shot/video that is in line with the goal line, I am trusting the AR made the correct call, whether he is Catholic or not.

Agreed - and as I stated, I was darn near right in the exact line. I also did not mention I refereed many games in my day, up to the high school level, and the guy was offside. Can not tell from the angle. As far as the reaction of the Cov Cath players - can not use that. Of course they slumped over, they had not idea he was off sides. They thought they lost. They were either too busy looking at the ball, or the player they were marking. They can not be looking at both and be an effective player.

As I stated previously, Daviess deserved to win. They are a great team and outplayed Covington Catholic from start to finish.

Tough call for the ar since he's probably watching the last defender and not when the ball is played. If the ar lucky he hears the kick maybe but like I've said many times if it's in doubt the flag should stay down.

Props to the CovCath team and coaches. Everyone knew they were good last year. Loaded, and experienced, at every position. Other than the fact that CC had never been that far in the tournament, no one was really surprised when it was over.

18 players gone from last year. This year, a whole new group of players, a new back line. A challenging schedule. 3 clean sheets on the way to the finals. Shutout a juggernaut in LCA. Despite the fact they came up a bit short, this is probably a more impressive feat. Well done.