Solutions?

jbird

Well, to your first statement, that's a copout. How about your kids? Family?

As to the second, also not buying it. I get you're anti-government. That's cool. If not for the FDA, how would we be able to regulate meds? Simple ones. BP meds? Diabetes? So, I say hogwash to the second statement as well.

If that's all you got, I'm moving along with this argument.

Where did I mention the FDA or being anti government. I'm anti big government. You made quite a stretch.

It isn't a cop out , are we winning the war on drugs. In what measurable way can we say all the money we invested into the war on drugs has stopped a single soul of getting their drug of choice ?

To your point if about family or friends if they are a grown adult it's their choice.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did I mention the FDA or being anti government. I'm anti big government. You made quite a stretch.

It isn't a cop out , are we winning the war on drugs. In what measurable way can we say all the money we invested into the war on drugs has stopped a single soul of getting their drug of choice ?

To your point if about family or friends if they are a grown adult it's their choice.

FDA is government. You made a blanket statement, I refuted it. Not a stretch. You have a penchant for those and often I am in agreement. This is not one of those times. Secondly, no one believes we are winning the "war on drugs". That doesn't remotely mean that unfettered access to any and every possible illicit drug is ever a good idea. And, lastly, if you can't have any more thought for your fellow man than to say that you could care less about his welfare says something about your character in my opinion.

I think we should pull a Portugal and decriminalize all drugs. Instead of jail, get these people treatment. Overall, usage actually went down there. As others have said, criminalizing things doesn't exactly make it better.

FDA is government. You made a blanket statement, I refuted it. Not a stretch. You have a penchant for those and often I am in agreement. This is not one of those times. Secondly, no one believes we are winning the "war on drugs". That doesn't remotely mean that unfettered access to any and every possible illicit drug is ever a good idea. And, lastly, if you can't have any more thought for your fellow man than to say that you could care less about his welfare says something about your character in my opinion.

I believe in Social Darwinism, and I don't sympathize over stupidity. There is already unlimited access to any drug you want. If you wake up at 9am before you eat supper you can probably get any drug of your choice by dinner.

If you want to go after those selling I I can live with it but it's a waste of time, money and resources to make usage illegal.

I'm starting this thread because I don't want the other thread to go off track if it hasn't already. Speaking with PP92 ( who has been watching Narcos way too much, I kid I kid great show ;)), I think we can agree that there is absolutely something that needs to be done to help the inner cities. Drugs seem to be a big problem that is being brought up time and time again. All perspectives, black and white and others need to be heard. What say you?

Well, so much for suggestions for helping the inner city. Guess it turned into a drug thread. I liked your topic though.

Well, so much for suggestions for helping the inner city. Guess it turned into a drug thread. I liked your topic though.

Please:rolleyes:

It didn't go off track. These are problems in the inner city, in the suburbs, all over the place and you, more than most others, are well aware of that. Some say legalization is the answer, I say blanket legalization is not. Chip something into the kitty here instead of chastising the path. I enjoy your input on topics like these.

I respectfully disagree, PP92 and many others have pointed that drugs are a big problem for the black community. It shapes a lot of the lives ruined via gang violence, drug dealing, inner city youth, schools, coming into contact with cops, policies/laws, etc. If illegal narcotics are the biggest problem, finding ways to help solve the problem is better than the road we are going down the "drug war". My only problem with the thread is that PP92 hasn't voiced his opinion. Possibly due to some of us not completely buying his conspiracy of the US government pouring narcotics to target the black community.

Please:rolleyes:

It didn't go off track. These are problems in the inner city, in the suburbs, all over the place and you, more than most others, are well aware of that. Some say legalization is the answer, I say blanket legalization is not. Chip something into the kitty here instead of chastising the path. I enjoy your input on topics like these.

I am not saying that drugs isn't a big part of it. We all know that it is, but there is far more to it than that. All I am saying is that this is the only thing people are focusing on. I think it did go off into a legalize vs not thread.

It is just a great topic, I hate to see it be so one dimensional. The folks in the projects have a lot od hurdles, just not that giant one.

Edited by Beechwoodfan

I am not saying that drugs isn't a big part of it. We all know that it is, but there is far more to it than that. All I am saying is that this is the only thing people are focusing on. I think it did go off into a legalize vs not thread.

It is just a great topic, I hate to see it be so one dimensional. The folks in the projects have a lot od hurdles, just not that giant one.

Sure they do. And no one angle will fix it. That's true.

And can we please stop the "war on drugs" schpeel? (Not pointed at you BWF, just a generic statement) Everyone knows that's not working. No one I've read in the myriad of threads agree that it is.

I was told to talk about the issues my first couple posts discussed solutions. The people attacking me in early threads aren't involved so I don't understand what people want anymore.

I hope you didn't take my disagreement as an attack. I surely didn't intend it that way.

I hope you didn't take my disagreement as an attack. I surely didn't intend it that way.

Not at all. That wasn't directed at you at all. But when people complain about the direction of the thread. PP92 directly has complained about drug laws and incarceration as a problem so I felt it was legitimate topic to discuss in this topic .

Speaking of laws. I know pp92 brought up the crack rock vs powder. Surely they have rewritten that law.

Congress lessened the sentencing disparity between cocaine and crack from about 100:1 to 18:1 (18 grams of cocaine is equivalent to one gram of crack for sentencing purposes) in 2010. So, it's better but still quite a disparity. I'm not sure what individual state laws look like.

Congress lessened the sentencing disparity between cocaine and crack from about 100:1 to 18:1 (18 grams of cocaine is equivalent to one gram of crack for sentencing purposes) in 2010. So, it's better but still quite a disparity. I'm not sure what individual state laws look like.

While I know on the face it seems unfair there are actual reasons rock has stiffer penalties. It's a drug moved much more often by street gangs and biker gangs. There is more violence linked to it on street level.