Solutions?

jbird

I think weed should be completely legalized.

In the case of harder drugs like heroin I don't know what the answer is. I don't think aggressive policing and incarceration - the War on Drugs - has been the answer either, and in many ways has created a whole slew of other problems.

I think some combination of de-criminalization and rehabilitation would be a better method of dealing with the scourge of heroin et al than jail has been. And probably the most effective method would be better economic opportunities for a lot of the areas afflicted.

I can agree with this. But where is that solution? Where do we draw the line? What is legal, what isn't? What is appropriate punishment for what's illegal? And there's no simple solution to improving economic opportunities as the current system operates for folks who can do nothing and draw a check. I'm not throwing stones, I'm simply being realistic. So much reform would be needed to change economic issues for the better that we likely won't see it in our lifetime. But for argument's sake, assuming that change could actually be affected, I'd be curious what decline in abuse would actually occur.

So, just to kick it around, what would you propose the legality/punishment for heroin (just for this exercise in futility) should be? Not being obtuse, just asking because some seem to be intimating that all drugs should simply be legalized. I just can't agree with that at all.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to the drug problem, I really don't have a problem legalizing weed. For the others how are we going to justify treating disease (drug addiction, and these people need treatment) when it's totally legal? I understand the alcohol argument regarding it's legality and subsequent abuse/treatment. However, I think illicit drugs (if that's what we are talking about here) simply can't be available to the public legally. Is that what we are talking about here before I go on a rant? Just to be clear.

I just don't see if H or Crack rock become legalized that their would be a huge spike in usage most sain people wouldn't touch them. You could possibly argue an increase in powder usage , maybe.

Either way I stand by the fact it's the only way to eliminate the criminal gangs that surround these drugs. We have evidence with prohibition.

I can agree with this. But where is that solution? Where do we draw the line? What is legal, what isn't? What is appropriate punishment for what's illegal? And there's no simple solution to improving economic opportunities as the current system operates for folks who can do nothing and draw a check. I'm not throwing stones, I'm simply being realistic. So much reform would be needed to change economic issues for the better that we likely won't see it in our lifetime. But for argument's sake, assuming that change could actually be affected, I'd be curious what decline in abuse would actually occur.

So, just to kick it around, what would you propose the legality/punishment for heroin (just for this exercise in futility) should be? Not being obtuse, just asking because some seem to be intimating that all drugs should simply be legalized. I just can't agree with that at all.

I think it should be decriminalized for users at least. If you still want to go after dealers then fine. But putting people in jail for an addiction is flooding prisons.

I really don't know. I would have to think about it more. I'm not advocating legalization/de-criminalization as part of adherence to some sort of philosophical principle. I just don't think the current way of dealing with it, treating it as a "war," has been a positive. I don't think jails have proven to be effective drug rehabilitaters or deterrents for the afflicted communities and have possibly made it worse. I don't think there's an easy, silver bullet solution sitting out there, but the status quo isn't working.

I really don't know. I would have to think about it more. I'm not advocating legalization/de-criminalization as part of adherence to some sort of philosophical principle. I just don't think the current way of dealing with it, treating it as a "war," has been a positive. I don't think jails have proven to be effective drug rehabilitaters or deterrents for the afflicted communities and have possibly made it worse. I don't think there's an easy, silver bullet solution sitting out there, but the status quo isn't working.

Wholeheartedly agree

I don't care. It's being done in alleys and abandoned buildings now.

So, by that logic, as long as it was done in a neat block building with a neon sign that would be ok? Come on. There are some things that as a people we need to avoid. If that means that those substances are illegal/regulated with some oversight, well then so be it. Hard drugs carte blanche can't really be the solution. We are too stupid to not wreck our own selves. Seriously. But by God our prisons would be more empty.

I just can't follow that logic as a blanket solution at all.

So, by that logic, as long as it was done in a neat block building with a neon sign that would be ok? Come on. There are some things that as a people we need to avoid. If that means that those substances are illegal/regulated with some oversight, well then so be it. Hard drugs carte blanche can't really be the solution. We are too stupid to not wreck our own selves. Seriously. But by God our prisons would be more empty.

I just can't follow that logic as a blanket solution at all.

I'm not going to use them. Doesn't bug me. In the end we just spend to much money on war we will never win.

I also don't believe your really free as an adult if the government can tell you what you can put in your own body.

I'm not going to use them. Doesn't bug me. In the end we just spend to much money on war we will never win.

I also don't believe your really free as an adult if the government can tell you what you can put in your own body.

Well, to your first statement, that's a copout. How about your kids? Family?

As to the second, also not buying it. I get you're anti-government. That's cool. If not for the FDA, how would we be able to regulate meds? Simple ones. BP meds? Diabetes? So, I say hogwash to the second statement as well.

If that's all you got, I'm moving along with this argument.