Solutions?

jbird

I'm starting this thread because I don't want the other thread to go off track if it hasn't already. Speaking with PP92 ( who has been watching Narcos way too much, I kid I kid great show ;)), I think we can agree that there is absolutely something that needs to be done to help the inner cities. Drugs seem to be a big problem that is being brought up time and time again. All perspectives, black and white and others need to be heard. What say you?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Identify the problems in your communities. Prioritize the problems. Develope a plan to address the first problem. Incorporate manpower to institute your plan. Work your plan.

As mentioned in an earlier thread stop trying to help me understand your perspective. Though I'm willing,I'm probably not capable.This will exhaust valuable energy that you're gonna need for more important things. Sometimes there is more damage in facile talking than in silence.

Also I know some you on this board who have been here for awhile know my original stance.

Is there racism , yes.

But I feel the true problem is socioeconomic and not race. The only color that really matters in 2016 is green.

I would think figuring out away to strengthen inner city public schools on a local level and create vocational trades with local businesses so the urban youth see a light at the end of a tunnel to create a life without crime.

Tax incentives for corporation to create jobs in urban environments.

Police and federal agency with a strong out reach for qualified minority candidates.

There is only two ways to fight the war on drugs.

1. Legalize it like Lipton suggests above.

2. If it's a war fight it like one. If someone is bring drugs into this country you eliminate them. You eliminate anyone that is responsible for the drugs being here. From the heads of the cartels all the way down to the leaders of the gangs in the inter cities. Eventually the message will become clear...if you are apart of this chain the only future for you is a short one.

If you are not willing to do one of these two things there is no chance of winning the "war on drugs".

End the War on Drugs.

Every social problem can't be solved through criminalization and the justice system.

I'm just against laws that make something that really isn't criminal , criminal. Trying to predict that someone will commit a crime if they do it.

If someone steals, assaults, hurts or murders someone while on drugs we have laws on the books to punish that.

I just will never feel we are really free unless every adult can decide what to put in their own body.

Also I know some you on this board who have been here for awhile know my original stance.

Is there racism , yes.

But I feel the true problem is socioeconomic and not race. The only color that really matters in 2016 is green.

I would think figuring out away to strengthen inner city public schools on a local level and create vocational trades with local businesses so the urban youth see a light at the end of a tunnel to create a life without crime.

Tax incentives for corporation to create jobs in urban environments.

Police and federal agency with a strong out reach for qualified minority candidates.

We're on the same side more often than not, although you may find it hard to believe.

I might also go so far as to say we should also incentivize small business owners in urban areas even more so than corporations. The shutdown of the West Louisville Food Port project was very disappointing.

We're on the same side more often than not, although you may find it hard to believe.

I might also go so far as to say we should also incentivize small business owners in urban areas even more so than corporations. The shutdown of the West Louisville Food Port project was very disappointing.

I don't doubt it. I just think think some posters forget my core intentions just because I'm someone who debates ideas. I know deuce and UKM think I respond just to be negative that's really not it.

I've been taught to confront fallacy. It doesn't mean I don't want to listen to a struggle.

First of all, I think the federal and state governments need to help by making it a priority. The ideas below are expensive and some are illegal, but this is my "perfect world" solution.

Improve the schools. Make them clean, safe, small class sized. They need good security inside and out. They would have to serve breakfast and lunch, and provide some after school care. It would be more than most schools provide, but they have done it so much less than other schools forever.

Stop rewarding people for not working. Reward people who are trying to make it. I work a lot with people from the inner city. It seems every time they start to make it financially they get benefits cut immediately. There is a huge gap between the two. I think those benefits should be extended long enough to let them get on their feet.

Fre quality daycare for those under a certain income who are working and/or going to school.

This might be more unpopular. Bring back orphanages for those who cannot afford to support their children, and have no help from family and friends. Women should not be allowed to have baby after baby and get more and more money for it. I am not talking about the old school orphanages, but places that provide safe, clean housing, clothing and education in a loving atmosphere. Of course social services would work closely with parents keep them connected with their kids until they can get on their feet and take back their children.

Free birth control, easily accessible. I would support a small financial bonus for women who come in for an implant which is a cheap method of brith control that lasts six months. I have no problem giving a bonus for women to get their tubes tied after they have had a couple children.

That's all I have for now...probably be more

As to the drug problem, I really don't have a problem legalizing weed. For the others how are we going to justify treating disease (drug addiction, and these people need treatment) when it's totally legal? I understand the alcohol argument regarding it's legality and subsequent abuse/treatment. However, I think illicit drugs (if that's what we are talking about here) simply can't be available to the public legally. Is that what we are talking about here before I go on a rant? Just to be clear.

As to the drug problem, I really don't have a problem legalizing weed. For the others how are we going to justify treating disease (drug addiction, and these people need treatment) when it's totally legal? I understand the alcohol argument regarding it's legality and subsequent abuse/treatment. However, I think illicit drugs (if that's what we are talking about here) simply can't be available to the public legally. Is that what we are talking about here before I go on a rant? Just to be clear.

I think weed should be completely legalized.

In the case of harder drugs like heroin I don't know what the answer is. I don't think aggressive policing and incarceration - the War on Drugs - has been the answer either, and in many ways has created a whole slew of other problems.

I think some combination of de-criminalization and rehabilitation would be a better method of dealing with the scourge of heroin et al than jail has been. And probably the most effective method would be better economic opportunities for a lot of the areas afflicted.